PDA

View Full Version : Kids Sun Shade for DIY Playset

Mike Heidrick
06-18-2009, 5:50 PM
I thought I just read this but could not find it in Search.

What is the company to order a custom sun shade for a play set/swing set?

What was that material called?

Mikail Khan
06-18-2009, 5:58 PM
I got my slide from detailed play. They also sell custom sun shades.

MK

http://www.detailedplay.com/AccRoofSand.htm

Bill Houghton
06-18-2009, 10:01 PM
You might also look in your Yellow Pages for "awnings," and see if a local awning operation could make you one.

Greg Cuetara
06-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Another idea is just to go buy some sunbrella and make one yourself.

Mike Heidrick
06-18-2009, 10:21 PM
What is sunbrella and where do you get it?

Matt Meiser
06-19-2009, 7:41 AM
I wouldn't buy one made like the ones the big box stores sell. We bought one and had it rot from the sun and shred from the wind in a year. So we bought a different brand. Same thing. Now we don't have one. The awning shop is a great idea. You are probably talking about a scrap to them and it doesn't seem like it would cost that much to have them hem all the edges and put a few grommets in. The stuff they use for commercial awnings lasts for years.

Myk Rian
06-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Our neighbor got tired of getting new ones, so we made one out of wood.

Greg Cuetara
06-19-2009, 4:56 PM
What is sunbrella and where do you get it?

Sunbrella is a brand name of fabric. It is fairly heavy duty and will last many years outside exposed to the elements. Google it and pull up their website. There is a zip code finder on there to find the closest retailer. It is mostly used for boat covers and awnings etc. I believe it is mildew resistant and is is also water resistant. I know there is a fabric shop up where I live that has a bunch of it in stock. You might want to call around...try Jo-ann's fabrics and if they don't have it they might be able to point you to someone in your area who does have it.

Greg

Howard Acheson
06-19-2009, 5:12 PM
>> What was that material called?

In the marine world, the material used is "Sunbrella".

Dave Lehnert
06-19-2009, 6:06 PM
Check with a Nursery Supply house. I run a retail garden center and we have used the same "Shade Cloth" for years. Holds up very well. Wish I could remember the name of the place we got it from. I do remember they could make it in any custom size you needed.

Here is a link to such a product. I DO NOT KNOW OF THIS COMPANY. Just found them in a web search so you could see what was referring to.

http://www.greenhouses-etc.net/equipment/custom_shade_cloth.htm

Chris Kennedy
06-19-2009, 6:17 PM
Try also Coolaroo. They're an Australian company, but they are distributed in the States. We have one of their sailcloths over our deck, and I am thinking of another one over my kid's playset. They last well (Aussie sun can be vicious).

They have triangular, rectangular, and sheets of cloth. Put Coolaroo into Google and you will find a distributor.

Cheers,

Chris

Mark Godlesky
06-19-2009, 9:30 PM
+1 on Sunbrella fabric. We have an awning made of it and the first one lasted seven years in the AZ sun. We had to replace it because the movement of the fabric against the frame eventually wore holes in it. But it didn't fade noticeably.

Shade cloth will work, too. You can get it in 50 % or 90 % sun block at the borg around here.