PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid oscilating spindle sander. Experience needed...

Chris Konikowski
06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I am looking at desktop OSS's/Edge sanders and have been looking at the Ridgid. It combines the two very well in appearance. The question is, with this setup, what are the shortcommings of it. Is there anything that I cannot do on this that I can do with seperate units or is this a goto machine...
Thanks for any help.

Robert Reece
06-18-2009, 11:57 AM
I believe Fine Woodworking did a review and the Ridgid was liked very well. You might want to check that out.

Dan Gill
06-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I have one and it works well, although I haven't used it a lot, so I can't report on durability.

Joe Scharle
06-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I like mine, use it 2-3 times a week. Bought it recon $139.00 @ HD on-line. Klingspor carries the sleeves/belts.
Much better than my DP drum box, although the DC is not as good.

Tom Hintz
06-18-2009, 12:32 PM
I used the Rigid spindle/belt combination and think that is what you are speaking of. It was a very good machine and I used it a lot. I have since gotten bigger sanders (the deals were right...nothing wrong with the Rigid) but the guy who bought the Rigid from me is still using it with no problems.
I have a full review of this sander at the link below if that would help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgideb4424rvu.html

Chris Konikowski
06-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Good review Tom. Very helpful. I am pretty sure this is the one that I am going to be getting.

Ray Dockrey
06-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I love mine. I have had to for a couple of years and have had no issues with it.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-18-2009, 1:07 PM
The only downside I see is that the spindle size is limited to 2" dia. I have found that I use 3" sanding spindle on my drill press very often. However, the belt option sure looks nice and probably makes up for it.

-Jeff :)

Greg Mann
06-18-2009, 1:11 PM
I have had trouble with the tracking adjustment on the belt sander. It seems I am forever fiddling with it, either it's drifting down or drifting up depending on my adjustment. I did not have the problem when it was new but I don't really have much time on it even now. Anyone else have this problem, or better yet, had the problem and solved it?

Ray McGrath
06-18-2009, 1:21 PM
I have the Ridgid sander, the only problem I have with it is that the adjustable table is aproximately an eighty of an inch proud of the fixed table in the center six inches or so. I have had narrow pieces catch and stop the spindle. As I see no way to adjust this I assume its cause is inproper cooling at the Injection molding process.

Ray

David Giles
06-18-2009, 1:39 PM
Some trouble keeping the belt tracking straight. The knob tightens during use and requires pliers to loosen. But it is light weight and well worth the $140 or so paid for it. Much better than using a drill press.

This is not your heavy duty Powermatic / Sawstop quality level sander. But it is great value for the price and more than adequate for an intermittent user.

Bill White
06-18-2009, 1:47 PM
Like mine. No probs at all.
Bill

Cary Falk
06-18-2009, 2:03 PM
I use the belt less and less due to tracking issues also.

Chris Konikowski
06-18-2009, 2:50 PM
Anyone else with tracking issues? Is this a major issue or only a few incidents?

Mike Henderson
06-18-2009, 3:23 PM
No problem with belt tracking. My only complaint is having to change out from the belt to the spindle sander, or the reverse. I'd really like to have two dedicated machines (but I don't have room).

Mike

Craig Coney
06-18-2009, 6:07 PM
I bought mine 7 years ago, had a tracking issue ( very bad ) ~5 years ago, took it in for service, can't remember exactly what they replaced, but do believe they replaced the platen. I've had no problems since.

Bill Huber
06-18-2009, 6:50 PM
I have had mine for almost 2 years, I did have a little problem with the tracking and then I bought some better belts and have had no problem after that.

As Tom stated in his review, wax the top that makes everything slide a lot better.

To me one of the big pluses to it is the miter slot, I have a V27 I use with it and it really works out very well.

At this point if it crapped out today I would go get another right away, I use it all the time.

Brian Penning
06-18-2009, 7:17 PM
No problems with mine for over 3 years now. Belt is on 99% of the time.
Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Peter Quinn
06-18-2009, 9:00 PM
I've had one for a few years, for the money its a great little tool. No tracking issues, pretty good dust collection, very versatile. I have beat the heck out of mine, it just keeps going. Seriously, I have pummeled it. No complaints.

I use a very large old horizontal belt sander and an iron OSS at work, and I'm not going to suggest this little guy is going to perform like those, It just doesn't. But I have no space for those in the home shop, and they are tough to bring to a job site. If mine crapped out today, I would buy the compass plane I have been wanting, and then buy another Rigid!

Myk Rian
06-18-2009, 9:04 PM
I use mine almost every day. No problems with tracking or table issues. You can adjust the 90º table to spindle.

Harold Shay
06-18-2009, 9:20 PM
I have one and use it all the time. I like the ossilating part of the machine. We don't have any tracking problems. Ours is 5 years old and no porblems.

glenn bradley
06-18-2009, 9:35 PM
I saw so many satisfied owners here I decided to save some dough and got one too. Only had it about 3 months and have used the heck out of it. A big plus for me was the light weight so I could take it out and put it back easily. It lives here . . . supposedly:

I've used it so much it has taken up residence at the end of my bench ;-( Gonna have to build another fliptop. Dust collection could be better but I have a solution that I'll post once I get it done a little more formally.

Chris Konikowski
06-18-2009, 9:56 PM
Glenn, I look forward to seeing your dust modification. I think I am going to go get one of these for my birthday/fathers day...(21st and 22nd)...

Jeff Mohr
06-19-2009, 9:17 AM
I wish I would have got it sooner. Got one in April and use it all the time! No tracking issues with the belts that I can see.

Looking forward to dust collection as well...but the port isn't all that bad if you hook it up to a nice collector.

Don Jeansonne
06-19-2009, 11:38 AM
I have the oscillating sander and find it a very useful tool. I use it almost daily -- mostly the belt sander for contour work.
I have had problems with the belt drive shifting on the motor drive shaft and then siezing up. Then it can't be removed to install a drum. You end up beating it off and gauling the threads. After several frustrating times and months, I callled Ridgid and they said to bring it to a service center since it has a Lifetime warrantee. I brought it in and it has been 10 weeks and they still are waiting on parts!!!! I called Ridgid today and they assured me that the parts are in route.
You can go to the Ridgid tool forum and find the same problem other users related. It is a design defect but no identified fix.
I like the sander because to does a good job and easy to use and a good bargin.
Hope this helps you and others.

Scott Haddix
06-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I've also had tracking issues with the belt, but will try recommendation to buy higher quality belt and see if that helps. Otherwise, may take it in for service as suggested elsewhere in the thread.

That said, I am still happy with the tool overall.