PDA

View Full Version : The internet is amazing

dennis thompson
06-18-2009, 11:13 AM
My daughter's car needs new brakes, the repair place wants $750 for the job so I think I'll try it myself. I haven't done a brake job in 20 years or so. I went on the internet & not only found the instructions but videos demonstrating how to do it! It's interesting that the brakes are done in exactly the same way as the last set I did 20 years ago.
The internet is amazing!
Dennis

Julian Nicks
06-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Since I always do my own brakes, I always do a quick google search before doing a brake job on a new vehicle. It is great knowing exactly what specialty tools if any will be needed, and any tricks that might make life easier. Plus the deals you can get on rotors and pads online beats the stores prices.

I recently had to replace my radiator on my 99 e350 ford van, and after a quick online search had found one for $150 less (including overnight shipping)than any shop in my area.

Yes, the internet is amazing!

Chris Harry
06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
My daughter's car needs new brakes, the repair place wants $750 for the job so I think I'll try it myself. I haven't done a brake job in 20 years or so. I went on the internet & not only found the instructions but videos demonstrating how to do it! It's interesting that the brakes are done in exactly the same way as the last set I did 20 years ago.
The internet is amazing!
Dennis

Depends what car I guess :) 20 yrs ago I didnt have disc brakes.

Its amazing that I can change brakes on all 4 corners of a disc brake car in about 30 minutes. About 10 yrs ago the only cars I could do that on were foreign (americans used Torx for the caliper sliders, which would always strip....Japs used regular bolts....pull one bolt, tilt caliper, swap pads, tilt caliper back and tighten bolt)

My truck has rear drums.....Im dreading that job :)

Jerome Hanby
06-18-2009, 1:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the nether regions will be populated by people that run brake shops and people that sell movie popcorn :D

John Lohmann
06-18-2009, 1:32 PM
get plenty of brake cleaner & newspaper

Jeffrey Makiel
06-18-2009, 1:57 PM
The biggest issue is to have the rotors cut and true. Even brand new rotors/drums benefit from a light pass on the lathe. Therefore, I would have to jack the car up on jackstands while I sent the rotors or drums out. Then, wait and hope it gets done in a timely fashion. Then, freshly repack the bearings in the front.

If you are skipping this step, the brake job may not be as good. A common effect is vibration that will reduce brake efficiency, and quicker wear (shortened life) on the new pads.

I doubt a decent brake shop would skip this step.

-Jeff :)

Scott Shepherd
06-18-2009, 2:43 PM
The biggest issue is to have the rotors cut and true. Even brand new rotors/drums benefit from a light pass on the lathe. Therefore, I would have to jack the car up on jackstands while I sent the rotors or drums out. Then, wait and hope it gets done in a timely fashion. Then, freshly repack the bearings in the front.

If you are skipping this step, the brake job may not be as good. A common effect is vibration that will reduce brake efficiency, and quicker wear (shortened life) on the new pads.

I doubt a decent brake shop would skip this step.

-Jeff :)

Last time I did them on my truck, new rotors were about $30 each and came with a lifetime warranty (who came up with that?). I've since used that warranty. The brakes wore out, I went back, got new brakes and rotors, brought the old ones back and was given a complete refund.

On the other hand, we tried to get the rotors turned and it seems they will turn them "when they can get around to it, come back in a few days". Oh well, their loss. I'll never have another set turned, not while the new ones are about $30 each.

dennis thompson
06-18-2009, 3:12 PM
Scott
Where did you get the brakes & rotors with the lifetime warranty?
Dennis

James Jaragosky
06-18-2009, 3:27 PM
Scott
Dennis
Many auto supply stores will turn your rotors for free if you buy your parts with them. Ask It can't hurt.

Scott Shepherd
06-18-2009, 6:05 PM
Scott
Dennis

Seems like it was either AutoZone or Advance Auto. I get them both mixed up as they are about 1/2 mile from each other and use the same colors.

Dick Strauss
06-18-2009, 9:29 PM
Most modern rotors don't have much extra meat that can be turned away. Some shops will just take heavy passes rather than taking off as little as possible to true the rotor. If they take off too much, the rotors may warp in short order and be much less effective.