PDA

View Full Version : Any wood carvers out there? Need advice

Matt Haus
06-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I would like to add to my wood turned vessels and small boxes by adding a rotary carving kit. I've looked at this one at packard woodworks. What would you recommend as a starter kit?

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=carv-fore-5400

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/305400-img.jpg

Frank Drew
06-18-2009, 1:10 PM
Matt,

I can't offer you any help on your specific question, but you might also post this in the Woodcarvers Forum here.

george wilson
06-18-2009, 5:14 PM
That is a good brand flexible shaft. We use them all the time,but you will have to replace the cable inside the rubber hose sometimes. Might want to keep a spare on hand. The replacement cables aren't too expensive. Motor and handpiece should last a very long time.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-18-2009, 9:55 PM
I recently purchased a 1/3 hp version of this Foredom motor and coupled it with a reciprocating hand piece from Flexcut. The chisels are inexpensive and last quite a while. I use the tool for roughing out mostly with v tools and I find it to be a real work saver. Additionally, it makes the tool easy to control. I switch over to conventional chisels after removing the bulk of the waste wood and roughing in my shape. I wish I had bought one years ago. It saves a lot of mallet blows.

fmr

Kyle Iwamoto
06-19-2009, 1:41 AM
I believe that Foredom is the good brand, better than Dr***, which my friend does have. He carves some awesome stuff, with the "lower" quality stuff. Perhaps the other brand is right for you...... I agree with the previous poster, you probably get better answers form the carver forum.

Chris Padilla
06-19-2009, 1:09 PM
free bump...just moved your post to the Woodcarvers Forum. :)

Johnm Chase
06-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I think you will be happy with this choice. Keep in mind you will create a lot of dust you will need some kind of extraction system.