PDA

View Full Version : Onyx Pendants

Karen Thompson
06-18-2009, 7:41 AM
Hi All,

I have some onyx stones similar to those pendants on the laserbits website and I wondered if I am correct in thinking that i would engrave on these using similar settings as with marble?

I'm looking at engraving photos onto them (if it's possible) so was wondering also what resolution is best. Has anyone had experience with this or have any tips for me?

Thanks

Karen

Gary and Jessica Houghton
06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Karen,
The best thing to do is to buy blanks from either laserbits or lasersketch to test on. Yes I believe they take a similar power setting. Yes, they can have a photo etched in them. (Remember to invert the photo to it's negative just like marble)
Now, I bought some black onyx pendants from someone not in the laser business and they did not mark like the ones from laserbits. They did not leave a visible mark. I then color-filled them with white colorfill and it looks great. Having said that, good look.

Bill Cunningham
06-18-2009, 8:53 PM
A cheap source of testing 'blanks' for things that require a 'marble setting' (hot and slow) are those black stones they sell at Wallyworld, dollar stores, and pet stores they call river rocks.. They are actually polished black marble chips .. This setting was 300 dpi using the epilog TT driver in clipart mode. You could probably even drill holes in them and make your own pendants..
Attached Images http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71227&stc=1&d=1188954357

Karen Thompson
06-19-2009, 5:23 AM
Gary/Jessica & Bill
Thanks for that - I'll certainly look for those stones you mention Bill, it's something I would never have thought of!!

One more question if that's OK :o.
I'm using Photograv and LaserCut to process the photos - and wondered am I best to not "fiddle" with the settings on Photograv (interactive mode) and just import the final image into LaserCut where I've been "testing" with speed 400 and power between 20-35? Still very new to all this!!!

Thanks again
Karen

Mike Christen
06-19-2009, 6:48 AM
Hi All,

I have some onyx stones similar to those pendants on the laserbits website and I wondered if I am correct in thinking that i would engrave on these using similar settings as with marble?

I'm looking at engraving photos onto them (if it's possible) so was wondering also what resolution is best. Has anyone had experience with this or have any tips for me?

Thanks

Karen

Hi Karen

Black onyx engraves very nice, have done many pendents for people. i always use 400dpi for most everything little better than 300, and faster than 600. As said before engraves just like marble, very nice contrast. A good source at good price is Michaels.

Karen Thompson
06-19-2009, 7:04 AM
Thank you Mike.

This is such a great place :):)

Karen

Bill Cunningham
06-23-2009, 9:27 PM
Gary/Jessica & Bill
Thanks for that - I'll certainly look for those stones you mention Bill, it's something I would never have thought of!!

One more question if that's OK :o.
I'm using Photograv and LaserCut to process the photos - and wondered am I best to not "fiddle" with the settings on Photograv (interactive mode) and just import the final image into LaserCut where I've been "testing" with speed 400 and power between 20-35? Still very new to all this!!!

Thanks again
Karen

I use photograv for the dithering process only, and find the generic black granite setting works fine for both granite (and the laserbits granite/marble/whatever) and real marble.. Pay no attention to the power and speed settings that photograv gives you, they are rarely ever that accurate.. Use scraps, and find what works best for you. For larger granite scraps to do test photographs on, look for the trash pile outside a granite counter top fabricator.. Their usually glad to get rid of as much as they can.. Scrap marble may be a bit harder to find, but it's out there..

Karen Thompson
06-24-2009, 6:51 AM
I use photograv for the dithering process only, and find the generic black granite setting works fine for both granite (and the laserbits granite/marble/whatever) and real marble.. Pay no attention to the power and speed settings that photograv gives you, they are rarely ever that accurate.. Use scraps, and find what works best for you. For larger granite scraps to do test photographs on, look for the trash pile outside a granite counter top fabricator.. Their usually glad to get rid of as much as they can.. Scrap marble may be a bit harder to find, but it's out there..

Bill,

Again thanks for your input - I'm going to locate my nearest granite guy and see if i can relieve him of some stuff;).

I had a go with one of the onyx stones (just to see what it would/could look like) and I liked the effect it had though granted it wasn't anywhere near perfect. But hey "practice, practice, practice".

Karen