PDA

View Full Version : My version of a bowl

Doug Jones
08-23-2004, 8:30 PM
Not sure what I'm doing on this spinny thing, but here is my version of a natural edge bowl. It may not be up to the standards of the many experienced turners, but I got to start some where. And as always any constructive criticism is welcomed.
Thanks for looking, Doug

Kelly C. Hanna
08-23-2004, 8:38 PM
I like it natural! Looks great. Someday when I get some real tools in the shop, I'd love to try my hand at turning.

Dick Parr
08-23-2004, 9:13 PM
Great looking bowl Doug.

Bill Grumbine
08-23-2004, 9:15 PM
Hi Doug

The only standards are the ones we set for ourselves. We all start at the beginning and go from there. No one ever started out turning gallery quality pieces. My first natural edged bowl was a pathetic little thing that had a notch out of the rim from a crack. You are starting out way ahead of where I started. Good job, and keep up the good work!

Bill

John Miliunas
08-23-2004, 9:49 PM
Dang it Doug, if that don't look almost *exactly* like a natural edge bowl I did back when I had time to get on the spinny thing! 'Course, mine wasn't my *FIRST* effort at it!!! :D Kind of an artsy stand you got for it there, as well! :rolleyes: (Just kiddin'....!) Seriously, very nicely done! And don't pay attention to "standards"; If we all did that, there would be nothing all that unique about our own work. I think you done yourself proud! Keep it up! :cool:

Steve Clardy
08-23-2004, 10:30 PM
Hey. Nice bowl Doug.:) I gotta get me some time to get back into things like this. Seems like all I do is work for others. No free time anymore.:(

Steve

Jim Becker
08-24-2004, 1:09 AM
Very nice, Doug. Natural edges are not always the easiest to do and you did a great job on this one!

Hint for easier bowl turning...make your shapes a little more rounded for awhile so you don't have to deal with that tight transition from the sides to the bottom--that's actually a really hard cut to make! Many folks tend to make flatter pieces at first, probably because they are less comfortable removing so much material. Try to think in "continuous curves" as you develop the outside, matching that curve on the inside and leaving a smaller base...something about 1/3 the diameter of the bowl is a good place to start. You should find these shapes easier to hollow as you practice with your gouges. It may be helpful to use common kitchen bowls; especially well-rounded mixing bowls, as a visual guide. Also, print out pictures of shapes others have turned and try to duplicate those shapes for practice. Turn them from scrap and then paint them flat black to put in a shelf in your shop to look at while you are turning.

Brad Schmid
08-24-2004, 2:04 PM
I'd say your off to quite a good start there Doug. Now that you got a successful one under your belt, you can enjoy working with different shapes. Jim had some good advice. I often look to the posters here for inspiration for my next piece.

Cheers,
Brad

Doug Jones
08-24-2004, 2:13 PM
Thanks guys,

I appreciate the words and advice. As I do not quite get the satisfaction from the round work as I do the flat side of the hobby, I still enjoy playing on the spinny thing when time permits. Maybe as my comfort level raises, so will the satisfaction.

Thanks, Doug

Joe Tonich
08-26-2004, 5:30 PM
Doug,

Looks better than MY 1st natural edged bowl. Mine turned into an un-natural edged bowl by the time I was done with it. :p

Joe

Lou Morrissette
08-26-2004, 7:34 PM
Real nice work Doug. I've never tried turning but some of the work I've seen done on this forum kinda gives me an itch to try it.

Lou