PDA

View Full Version : taking pictures

Phyllis Rhodes
06-17-2009, 11:49 PM
i just ran my first (what i consider) really good photo on granite. i want to post it for comments/critiques... but i can't get a good picture of it!

anybody have tips on how to take pictures of polished/reflective items??:confused:

thanks,
phyllis

ok i'm posting the picture... ignore my lovely front door in the upper left corner. :\

Shaddy Dedmore
06-17-2009, 11:59 PM
don't use a flash, do it during the day or with good ambient light. and don't take it straight on, tilt the piece away some. And for the love of pete, wear pants when doing it. (google ebay photo teapot if you don't think that tip is warranted.

Shaddy

Phyllis Rhodes
06-18-2009, 12:23 AM
i have a new camera with a low light setting and doesn't use the flash. it's that blasted glare i can't get around. it seems that no matter what angle i try, there is always SOMETHING reflecting. it's maddening!

i guess i can post the one picture i do have... even though it's not that great.

Frank Corker
06-18-2009, 4:59 AM
Phyllis, congratulations on your first piece. For your first one I think you have got a decent result and you can clearly see the people on it. You asked for advice, so do not take it as criticism with intent to hurt you, but I want you to look further into the edges. I recommend you look at using a blending tool to feather and soften the edges of the subjects, on your piece you do have a little of the cut out and stuck on look to it.

The original picture was probably taken in good ambient light, the backs of their heads are lit, but removing the background does not remove the light from the subject in the photo. So when you suddenly put them back onto a black background, everything, unaturally lightens up - this is what you have now. Gentle blending along the edges, would ease the light into the black background, giving the appearance that the subjects were standing with dark behind them and thus making it more believeable.

To photograph, you could always put them on the top of a flatbed scanner (gently of course) and this would take a perfect photo with no reflections. Other than that, great job!

Tim Bateson
06-18-2009, 6:33 AM
I think you nailed the settings, I hope you saved them. Also, all the stuff Frank commented on would make a big difference.

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-18-2009, 9:21 AM
If the objects are not metal you can use a polarizing filter to remove some of the reflections. Round shiny objects are the worst. I hate these kinds of shoots and many times try to bring the objects into my studio.

Here is a quick and dirty way to build a light box that may help

Take a large cardboard box and make a large cutout on the top and sides. Completely cutout the front. (this can be the open side of the box.

Tape thick sizing over these cutouts. Attach small lights with 40watt bulbs facing the inside of the box through the sizing material.

On the inside of the box get a large white sheet of poster board and place it against the top back corner down to the front bottom opening. The idea is to create a single piece covering the back and bottom with no bend.

When using the box turn the normal room lights down or off.

Phyllis Rhodes
06-18-2009, 9:48 AM
Frank, yes, I did notice the edges... especially around the man's head. I actually DID try to do something about it... I just couldn't find WHAT to do. I recall reading about "feathering" and found that in Corel, but didn't know what to do with it! :) So any tips on that would be helpful.

And I did save the settings. After working for ages on a not-so-good photo the other day, I was about ready to jump out the window and take the laser with me. Then one night I remember reading somewhere (not even about these photos), that for some setting (can't remember what), the power % should equal the wattage of your laser and speed 100%. SO... that's where I started. I have some of the HD 12x12 granite and have started a sample piece. I used up about half of it on the first bad picture. Then I used the 100s/45p/300dpi setting. It was good... but too high. So i bumped it down to 40p, then 35p, and then 30p. The other photo worked with 30p. This one I ran at 31p.

I'm just beside myself knowing that I have a place to START at now.

I was so frustrated last weekend I went to my web site and removed the one photo I had posted on there as an example! Now I can't wait to do more so i can "perfect" the process and put a good picture back on there.

I have one customer who keeps sending me other customers with photos... and I would just cringe every time I got an e-mail. And last night she e-mailed me again saying she was sending another person my way! But now I can't wait!

Michael... I should know this, but what is sizing? Is it heavy gauzy like stuff? Is this a fabric thing I can get at Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, or Michaels, etc.? I had a small light tent I got off of ebay but let a friend borrow it. :\ i have a bigger one, but it's over kill for something this small.. plus the cats keep getting inside when i try to take pictures. LOL

I never thought about using the scanner. I will do that tonight before the customer comes over to pick it up.

And here's another question for everybody: How much are you charging for a 5x7 granite engraving like this?

thanks everybody!
phyllis
deer park laser
epilog helix 45w
wacom intuos 9x12 (isn't used much but should be)

Gary and Jessica Houghton
06-18-2009, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=Phyllis Rhodes;1159015]
And here's another question for everybody: How much are you charging for a 5x7 granite engraving like this?

In my neck of the woods I charge $60. for a 5x7.

As for photographing, we do a poorman's photobox. I take a piece of white posterboard and lay the piece on top (creating a white background). Then, I take a second piece of white poster board and have my son or husband (who ever happens to be there) hold it above the piece while I postion the camera to take the photo. It works, sometimes great, sometimes good.

Dan Hintz
06-18-2009, 12:50 PM
the power % should equal the wattage of your laser and speed 100%.
That starting-point rule of thumb is backwards... it should be 100P and a speed equal to your wattage as a starting point. That way, as your laser wattage increases, so does your speed. Personally, I don't subscribe to the rule, but it does tend to put complete newbies in the ballpark to start playing around.

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-18-2009, 1:04 PM
A fabric store sells sizing. I don't know why they call it that. Its sold in different thicknesses. I generally use the very thickest stuff. Its white and translucent. It makes a great light diffuser.

Tom Gooch
06-19-2009, 3:19 PM
I made a lightbox out of 1" PVC pipe and inexpensive sheer drapes, all from Lowes. For backdrops I got several pieces of fabric from the fabric store. all totalled I bet I spend less than $20. The light fixtures aren't to expensive, I just got some clamp lights, but the good white light bulbs (halogen) aren't cheap. I seem to have the toughest time with a black background, with it frequently showing up in the photos as mottled dark brown---but I'm still tweaking the set up. Grey mock-suede gives great shots and light blue velour worked good too. Thank you Frank for the Scanner Idea...that's one I'll try immediately.

Brian Robison
06-19-2009, 4:16 PM
I've used the scanner with really good result except for the time I tried to use it on a wine glass, had to really bash that joker flat to get the cover to go down.
Works great for flat pieces.

Dan Hintz
06-19-2009, 7:34 PM
I tried scanning a gravestone once...

...once...