PDA

View Full Version : Jointer ways lubrication

Jeff Books
06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
I am the proud new owner of a Rockwell Delta 8" jointer(37-315). I disassembled the unit into managable pieces to lug it down into my basement shop. Now its time to replace the wings on the dovetail ways. My question is what is the best way to lubricate this sliding joint so that it slides easily but doesn't attract sawdust? Should I use a light coat of heavy oil, wax, or graphite? What has been your experience?

Michael Wildt
06-17-2009, 11:19 PM
I read a snip of John White's book: Care and repair of shop machines, that lithium grease is a good choice. Apply with a brush on dovetail surfaces.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OVEuusv_SaMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=john+white+machines#PPA24,M1

Chip Lindley
06-17-2009, 11:53 PM
The dovetail ways of a jointer need only minimum lubrication. More to keep from rusting than for *real* lubrication! The outfeed table is adjusted only in tiny incriments. I have used paste wax or white *grease stick* worked into the mating dovetails with a toothbrush before final assembly. Fine sawdust will wick oil or *wet* grease from the dovetail ways and cause a mess. Keep it dry with the lube!

Bob Genovesi
06-18-2009, 6:57 AM
I would use a synthetic grease. These lubricants last longer, lubricate better, and will not dry out like petroleum based greases.

Rod Sheridan
06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Use an aerosol dry moly lube, goes on wet, then dries and doesn't attract dust......Rod.

Jeff Books
06-19-2009, 1:03 PM
Thanks for all the imput. I'm leaning toward the drylube approach, molysulfide or graphite. The original lube may have been graphite or a heavy grease, I got what appeared to be graphite on my hands while handling the wings.
Have a great father's day playing in your shops...
Jeff

Rick Lizek
06-19-2009, 7:36 PM
You don't really need any lube. The amount of movement is so minor it's not an issue. Most lubes attract dust and that's a problem. Been tuning and repairing machinery for over 20 years professionally.