PDA

View Full Version : How to clean melamine

Benjamin Barril
06-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I got some free double sided melamine and noticed that one side (the side I want to show) has glue residue on it. Any hints on how to clean this up?

glenn bradley
06-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Naphtha (Ronson's Lighter Fluid) will soften most adhesives. I keep a little can in the shop for just such cleanups.

Bruce Page
06-17-2009, 10:21 PM
I just use a single edge razor blade for yellow glue drips.

Jim Koepke
06-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Careful, this could be used to help talk SWMBO into letting you get a shoulder plane that can also be used like a chisel plane.

If you use those other methods, and especially if they succeed, you may never get this chance again.

jim

sean m. titmas
06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
with a single edge safety razor you can scrape off the offending glue. TIP, use a forward motion with steady and firm downward pressure to scrape through the glue. than pick the razor up off the surface before going back to scrape again. if you drag the blade back across the surface it will trap the small particulate under the blade and scratch the melamine. this also works for cleaning glass.

if it needs some chemical persuasion than i use lacquer thinner in a spray bottle and a rag to clean the glue or any and all residue, pencil and dirt marks from the surface of p-lam and melamine.