PDA

View Full Version : Recent work - comments please

Thom Sturgill
06-17-2009, 8:10 PM
The Pepper grinder and salt shaker are mahogany with the 'knot' done in maple veneer. My miter jigs stop block may have shifted a little. Finish is wipe on poly with Don Pencils PL buff.

The Winged bowl and candle holder are Sapele with laquer, again buffed with Don Pencils PL compound after using a Beall buff system.

The spalted maple HF is only my third attempt at doing HF. It looked better on the lathe, and is somewhat sqat in form. The Walnut pedistal helps. Laquer and buffing.

Thom Sturgill
06-17-2009, 8:12 PM
Two more pictures - this is a Black Walnut bowl - 8" dia about 4" high and a little more than 1/4" thick. Finish is wipe on poly and buffing. As the title suggests, letme know what you think. I've been turning about a year on a Jet 1220VS. And I *know* my photography needs work.

alex carey
06-17-2009, 8:19 PM
I like the grinder and the salt shaker, great job on those. The candle holder too, its looks nice.

The vase im slightly confused on. Is it attached to the pedestal?

The bowl looks nice to, i like the how the paralles sides have that little patch, very cool. Looks like you are finishing well also. Great job.

Thom Sturgill
06-18-2009, 8:01 AM
Currently the HF is just setting on the 'pedistal'. Both are going back on the lathe to make the pedistal and bottom of the HF mate better, and the pedistal is inverted from its original design so the 'new' foot needs some work too. I do not intend to glue them, however, I am open to suggestion.

Mike Golka
06-18-2009, 8:14 AM
All very nice. Well done!

Bernie Weishapl
06-18-2009, 8:18 AM
All are nicely done Thom. I agree the pedestal needs some work and I would not glue it if it were me.

Steve Schlumpf
06-18-2009, 9:08 AM
Thom - pretty nice work on everything but I really like the pepper grinder and salt shaker! They make a nice set. Also like your winged bowl - mainly because of the contrast between the dark wood and the silver coating within the bowl. The angle of the photo of the hollow form prevents us from seeing the actual profile. Good looking wood with sort of an organic form to the piece. As far as I am concerned - it does not need a pedestal.

Ken Glass
06-18-2009, 9:28 AM
Thom,
Great job on all your new turnings. It seems you have come a long way in a short time, if I am right. Your tool work is really good and your design is progressing as well. I especially like the Salt shaker/Pepper grinder designs. Very well Done.

David Christopher
06-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Thom, I like all the turnings...as far as the HF goes, I would take the pedistal off, I think it looks fine without but if you want a pedistal I would make it out of dark wood ( like ebony or similar )

Wally Dickerman
06-18-2009, 10:36 AM
All very nice turnings. Better than nice. The HF looks great but dump the pedestal. IMO it is too large and bulky and really doesn't work for this piece. It overpowers the piece. When I look at it, my eyes are drawn to the pedestal first. A round bottom or a small foot would be much better.

Wally

Bill Bolen
06-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Thom I like them all but am drawn to the winged pieces. The bead at the mouth of the hf is a vey nice touch. Drop the pedestal there is nothing wrong with a "squat" form. Just the style of the piece. If you have only been turning for a year you sure made some great progress...Bill...