PDA

View Full Version : Table saw advice one last time

Michael Roland
06-17-2009, 5:30 PM
I am close to purchasing a replacement for my Craftsman 22124. I have narrowed my options down to two saws.

Steel City 35915 and the Unisaw X5 DELTA 36-L31X-BC50 X5. Both are 3hp left tilt with 50 inch fences. The Steel City has a riving knife the Unisaw does not. The remaining features and warranty are basically the same and the prices are very similar as well.

Looking for input to help drive me one way or the other.

I know some have suggested making the jump to a Saw Stop. With moving and buying a new house that is beyond my budget right now.

thks

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2009, 6:46 PM
have you looked at Extrema?
Here is a discounter
http://www.factorynew.com/MfgModels.aspx?CatID=ST&MachTypeID=93
They have a superb product line and made for commercial applications.

I've never dealt with "factorynew.com" so I can't tell you a thing about 'em I just saw that page today and it stuck in my head.

Jason White
06-17-2009, 6:48 PM
If the Steel City is less money I think you should get it. Their machines have gotten some pretty great reviews.

I am close to purchasing a replacement for my Craftsman 22124. I have narrowed my options down to two saws.

Steel City 35915 and the Unisaw X5 DELTA 36-L31X-BC50 X5. Both are 3hp left tilt with 50 inch fences. The Steel City has a riving knife the Unisaw does not. The remaining features and warranty are basically the same and the prices are very similar as well.

Looking for input to help drive me one way or the other.

I know some have suggested making the jump to a Saw Stop. With moving and buying a new house that is beyond my budget right now.

thks

Kyle Iwamoto
06-17-2009, 7:10 PM
There was just a thread of the new smaller SawStop that "should" retail under $3K. That still is a significant difference to the $2K of the other 2 saws. I have no experience with the smaller SS. I'm assuming the quality will be there, similar to the bigger brother.

Consider this: Any of these saws could potentially be the very last saw you'll NEED to buy. They'll all last for a VERY long time. So if you take the extra money for the SS, over the 2 decades they should all last. It's a small price to pay, in MY mind. Believe me, I have kids in private school AND college. I know how much money a grand is. Paying for peace of mind.

My .02.

Simon Dupay
06-17-2009, 8:43 PM
go with the tried & trued Unisaw can't go wrong with one.

Cary Falk
06-17-2009, 10:17 PM
I haved an older Unisaw. I have some other Steel City tools. The Steel City has to have the smoothest sliding fence I have ever seen. I think the riving knife would seal the deal. I don't think you could go wrong with either saw.

Archie England
06-17-2009, 10:30 PM
So many times, I've bought marginally better tools than what had just died or no longer served my purpose. Well, I worked through the same issue of replacing my TS recently, and I chose a PM 66 (80s vintage) that required some rehabbing.

My free counsel is to get what fits your preference, even if that means stretching the budget to some degree.

Having just read of four rather serious hand injuries from TS accidents (all this week), the SawStop looks good. But having numerous other power tools that could be just as harmful, I can't quite give in to just making the one tool safer. However, I don't see the Grizzly 1023L with riving knife, nor the General saw in your short list--and I'm convinced by posters here and other places that both those saws deserve attention as well.

Have fun and be safe,

Arch

Michael Roland
06-24-2009, 10:14 PM
After all of the fine advice I received here I thought I should provide an update (Gloat).

Based on input from this topic I did some more research and had my purchase options ranked as follows:

1. Steel City 35915
2. Unisaw X5 left tilt with the 50 Biesemeyer Fence
3. Grizzly G0691

So I call the Steel City dealer.. no 35915's in stock and it will take a while to get one.:mad:
Back to "the jungle" the price on the Unisaw X5 has increased from $1459 to $2078 while I have been making up my mind on my choice. :mad:
I email Grizzly the G0691 is in stock in PA and ready for delivery.

I take one more pass at Criagslist and eBay before ordering and bingo. My priority list gets shuffled. Today I take the afternoon off and go pickup a new PM2000 :D at a very good price. Sometimes good things come to those who procrastinate.

Thank you all for answering my questions. Can't wait for Saturday to get here so I have a free day to assemble, align and take the saw for a test drive !

Larry Rasmussen
06-25-2009, 2:06 AM
Not an owner of either of your possible choices but the single most effective change I've ever made for a table saw was the addition of a little splitter to my zero clearance insert. I've been kind of a fiddler over the years, trying upgrades, jigs etc. and the splitter outpaces any ad on or single feature I've used in a table saw. Enjoy.

Larry R,
Seattle

Jerome Hanby
06-25-2009, 8:48 AM
That PM2000 is a nice looking saw. Congrats!!!!

Joe Scharle
06-25-2009, 9:18 AM
Just curious; why are you replacing the 22124?