PDA

View Full Version : Finally - Pics of 1642 & Vacuum System

Chris Stolicky
06-17-2009, 4:38 PM
I said that I was going to drag the camera out to the shop one of these days and take some pics to share. Well, here they are. The little shop is always in flux, but this is (literally) a snapshot of what it looked like last night.

The first two pics are of the lathe and extra switch I wired. The switch box contains the (Oh $h!+) switch for the lathe, and the other controls the extension cord below the box - i.e. vacuum system. I have two bags of sand and some left over granite tiles in the box underneath for ballast (150 lbs?). I eventually want to construct some drawers under the lathe for storage of chucks, small tools/instruments, sandpaper?, etc. The tools will likely end up better organized behind the bigger lathe (pvc-type holder?), and I may end up building another one of those wall tool boxes at some point (one is in my garage).

The next few pics are of the vac system I was finally able to put together last weekend. The design came from four different sources plus my own input. I will post credit later once I have all of the names and proper information. The info is at home, and well, I am not right now....

Anyway, I was able to pull 22 hgs which I think is pretty good for this pump (Gast). As you can see, I put all of the controls together near the head stock. I just thought is was easier to control it that way. As far as the pump/box, I really don't have a whole lot of room to roll large things around, so boxing it in like this made the most sense to me. I may put a handle on it of sorts, maybe some casters, and a way to wind up the hose and cord.

I see tht I am limited to 5 pics, so I will post a few more just below this....

Chris Stolicky
06-17-2009, 4:45 PM
Another shot of the pump/box. Note the muffler/silencer is directly attached to the filter.

Here is a closer shot of the gauge/valve grouping.

Some vac chucks I have made so far.

My ugly peg board-mounted tools...

Oh, all of the boxes above the 1642 are mostly pens blanks/kits.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.....

curtis rosche
06-17-2009, 5:12 PM
the vacuum switch is next to the oh S%$! switch? that seams like a bad idea. if something happens while you are using your vacuum chuck and you reach for the switch and hit both, they your work will really fly. you should either move it or put a cover over the vacuum switch.
other than that it looks like a great set up

Chris Haas
06-17-2009, 5:44 PM
not going to lie, your shop makes me sick. great looking system though.

Richard Madison
06-17-2009, 8:31 PM
Apparently not actually using the lathes for anything. Can't see a milligram of dust or a chip anywhere. Meanwhile, be sure that the box vents well enough to avoid overheating the motor and/or pump. Nice clean setup!

Chris Stolicky
06-17-2009, 8:46 PM
not going to lie, your shop makes me sick. great looking system though.

Gee Chris, I hope you feel better.... At the bottom is a little background on my little shop.

Oh, for the possible accidental hit of the second switch - yeah, I know its a bit of a risk. I'll try to find a way to delineate the two. I just know the closer one is for the lathe.

Okay, here is where I gathered vacuum chuck ideas for that led to what I ended up with:

From my turning group's (Adirondack Woodturners Association) Totally Turning Symposium back in March:

Kurt Hertzog (http://www.kurthertzog.com/) demonstrated a simple vac setup and his was actually enclosed and compact, a bit like mine.

Also, giving a demonstration at the Symposium was Carl Ford. Here is a link to the handout he provided (http://www.carlford.info/assets/demos_classes/vaccum_chucks_demo/Vacuum_Chucks_Demo.pdf). His was very compact. He said that he actually keeps it on a shelf near his lathe. For the demonstration he actually set it on the lathe bed.

I also came across this Web site that had some pretty good info (http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/Articles/Vacuum_Chucking.asp)

Finally, from the SMC discussions:

Yes, Mr. Steve Schlumpf. Link to thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84279). He also sent me the .pdf which was easier on the printer.

Woody Woodbury also had a good example (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111961).

Curtis Rosche lead many discussions in threads asking helpful questions on vac systems.

And finally, I did purchase the 'plug and play' adapter from Tom Steyer (member here). Its a nice little piece to have.

By the way Chris, my shop is really a converted shed. See beginning, mid-construction of the addition for the new 'shed', then the final product. Most things were recycled (crappy laminate floor = bad idea for shop, door, windows, etc.) Exterior dimensions of the work shop area is 12x16, with a ceiling that is a little over 7' at its highest. Its pretty small once you put some tools in it, but its just nice to be detached from the house. See pics below.

Chris Stolicky
06-17-2009, 8:54 PM
Apparently not actually using the lathes for anything. Can't see a milligram of dust or a chip anywhere. Meanwhile, be sure that the box vents well enough to avoid overheating the motor and/or pump. Nice clean setup!

I actually just cleaned out my shop vac (was really full) and used it a bit. When I roughed out that larger plywood chuck, there was not a single place in the shop that chips did not reach! The plan is to rig up some kind of curtain of sorts to control the mess. I guess I'll have to actually take a pic next time before I clean up, huh? ;)

As far as ventilation, that is actually the reason I left the part on the end by the vents open. I hope its enough.

I do agree though, I definitely need to spend more time actually turning things. Having a 7 week old has greatly reduced that allowable time lately... I'm getting there.

Don Orr
06-17-2009, 9:09 PM
Great job setting up your new lathe and vac system.

And Congrats on the new young one !

Bernie Weishapl
06-17-2009, 10:47 PM
That is a good looking setup and congrats on the little one.