PDA

View Full Version : maple gloat part 2. now its cut

curtis rosche
06-17-2009, 3:48 PM
well, i think i might have beat Mark for toady on nice cut ups. this is the 2 logs i got a couple weeks ago. took forever to cut it up, about 2 hours, thankfully my stepdad was able to get it done (hes having some issues that will put him in the hospital in a month or so). its got some amazing curl and figure, and some great color. i cant wait to get back on the lathe.

curtis rosche
06-17-2009, 3:53 PM
some more pictures. i got it all sealed with this new stuff im trying. Sikkens Pre-Log Treatment

curtis rosche
06-17-2009, 3:55 PM
oh yeah, the one picture shows the truck in it, well i forgot to move it before we started and ended up covering it with saw dust. then it rained

Steve Schlumpf
06-17-2009, 4:23 PM
Now that is some great looking wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Hope by now you are healing up pretty good! Make sure you take your time turning this wood - you don't want to lose any!

curtis rosche
06-17-2009, 4:27 PM
yeah still healin, but i go back to the doctor in a week, so hopefully i will be cleared for the lathe. 2 weeks ago he said i could do anything but. actually "you can do what ever you want but remember, its like glueing 2 peices of wood together, if you move them to much they dont stick, and if glue doesnt work we go to superglue which means metal pins" is what he said. thought it was kinda funny

Steve Schlumpf
06-17-2009, 4:30 PM
Yeah... don't be in a rush - you want to heal 100%!

alex carey
06-17-2009, 4:36 PM
Definitely take it easy, they look like some nice blanks. What size is your lathe though? Can it handle stuff that big?

curtis rosche
06-17-2009, 4:44 PM
9inches Alex. so no it cant handle it. i was thinking of saving one or 2 peices for a visit to a turner or creeker with a bigger lathe and make a winged plate. the rest will most likley get cut into peices. i draw out a 8 1/2'' circle over the most figured parts then go from there dividing whats left.

if someone local wants a slab they can coem and get one

Mark Norman
06-17-2009, 4:47 PM
Man Curtis, you picked the wrong day to try and outdo me:p;)

Nice stuff ya got there! I love Maple and thats definatly got some charachter to it. Looks like you could use a bigger saw though. How thick are you slicing em?

I'm uploading more pics,,,I just tackled the "BIG ONE" :eek:

Let me know how the sikkens wors for you. They make great paint.
I think I will need another gallon of anchorseal.

curtis rosche
06-17-2009, 5:00 PM
i was hoping you would cut the other walnut tommorow. we go an 18 or 20 inch bar on it. i think its the huquvarna model 65 only like 2 years old. i really try to convince him to get one of those "hotsaws" they use in competitions that look like they have a motorcylce engine. we had an issue with the 2 cuts not lining up but a wedge and hammer fixed that. we found an amish guy down the road who sharpens chain, he does the reel push mowers too, and he is really good at it. we dont even bother to try to sharpen our own anymore

the peices are between 6 and 4 inches thick. for my lathe being only 9 inches making a bowl that is much deeper messes up the curve and form. so i stick with 4-6 unless i am going to do a hollow form or something new. or its a special peice like a burl

the Pre Log treatment seams to work well. it was more xspencive at the store i went to though $31 instead of the online price of $19. but a whole gallon is supposed to cover 400-600sqft. i think thats more than anchor seal. i put it on to much, this stuff is really runny, like gasoline, but it has almost no smell. i had to mark the sides i had already coated cause once it has soaked in you couldnt tell. all of the pictures are after the sealer was put on, as you can see it doesnt stain the wood. im getting some anchorseal this weekend, so i am going to cover 2-3 peices with that to, just to make sure i dont lose the best peices if the Pre Log Treatment doesnt work well.

Mark Norman
06-17-2009, 5:21 PM
I just had to geterdone today cuz I'll be cleaning out the shop tomorrow to get organized and maybee start on my tool rest. I hope to be spinning claro this weekend.

Cant wait to see what comes from the maple. Happy turning my friend:D

I am sooo glad I borrowed the 34" stihl for cutting up this stuff, I needed every inch on the bar and then some for the first cut.

curtis rosche
06-17-2009, 6:20 PM
did that size bar wear ya out quick?

Ben Gastfriend
06-17-2009, 6:32 PM
Nice haul, Curtis. Good luck with all that wood.

Brian McInturff
06-17-2009, 6:42 PM
Way Cool Curtis!! You snagged you a huge gloat there. Some really nice looking wood. I'm anxious to see what you turn with it. Pretty cool pic of the truck covered too.:D

Bernie Weishapl
06-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Congrats Curtis. That is a great haul.

Dick Strauss
06-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Curtis,
I wish your Stepdad all the best in a speedy recovery from what ails him!

You found some beautiful wood there.

FYI-I think you two had such a hard time cutting the pieces because you cut across the grain instead of with the grain. Even if you have to cut from both ends because of the size, it is much easier and quicker if the bar/chain runs parallel to the wood fibers (in the same direction as the tree grows). Try it next time and tell us how it goes.

Take care.

Mark Norman
06-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Curtis, thanks for the kind pm. I would love to turn some of that sweet maple, I would also love to see what you do with the wallnut.

A cyber high five and knuckles to ya my friend...

Heal quick!

Christopher Fletcher
06-18-2009, 12:23 AM
FYI-I think you two had such a hard time cutting the pieces because you cut across the grain instead of with the grain. Even if you have to cut from both ends because of the size, it is much easier and quicker if the bar/chain runs parallel to the wood fibers (in the same direction as the tree grows). Try it next time and tell us how it goes.

Take care.

Ditto. Great gloat there though!

Jarrod McGehee
06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Nice haul buddy. looks like it'll yield some nice pieces.