PDA

View Full Version : Fine Woodworking Contest - Creeker entry!!

John Keeton
06-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Over a period of 7 months, fellow creeker, Gary Zimmel, built a phenomenal "neander haven" in his shop. Using cherry, Gary did 48 drawers - all handcut half blind dovetails, and included a saw till, and plane storage. The project is just breathtaking. The final post is here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114386&page=3). The in progress thread is here. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100584)

At the urging of several, he has entered it in the Fine Woodworking contest for tool cabinets.

This was a major project, involving hours of labor, substantial funds, and an unbelievable level of skill in the design, and execution - particularly with the beautiful dovetails.

kevin loftus
06-17-2009, 9:06 PM
I voted! Thanks for posting the link John.

Ken

+1 :) Excellent work. :cool:

Dave Lehnert
06-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Holy Cow. GREAT WORK.

David DeCristoforo
06-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Not only is Gary's workmanship impeccable, the sheer scope of this project is worthy of note. Most of don't have cabinetry that fine (or as much of it) in our kitchens! I only wonder what is going to be hidden in all those drawers...hmmmm?

Don Bullock
06-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Gary's work in his shop is a true inspiration. I wish that I could give him two thumbs up.:D

Adam Wissman
06-17-2009, 11:11 PM
one + here too, and at a couple buddies houses too:D. absolutely spectacular to say the least. best of luck

Keith Outten
06-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Gentlemen,

It is inappropriate to use SawMill Creek to solicit votes. We had a young man not too long ago that needed votes for his school and we had to remove his thread, many felt the situation was unfair and I agree. If Gary is to win a contest please let him do so on his own merits.

John Thompson
06-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Well John... the Queen... who resides at Buckingham Palace my have "her people" call Gary to inquire about re-modeling the kitchen there if she catchs wind of those shop cabinets. He might as well start packing his bags. :)

Sarge..

Brent Smith
06-18-2009, 6:42 AM
Gentlemen,

It is inappropriate to use SawMill Creek to solicit votes. We had a young man not too long ago that needed votes for his school and we had to remove his thread, many felt the situation was unfair and I agree. If Gary is to win a contest please let him do so on his own merits.

Hi Keith,

I agree that SMC shouldn't be used to solicit votes on other sites, but that's not the case here. There was a thread a while back posted by an entrant to one of Taunton's contests that was soliciting votes from the membership. The rules are different this time.

In this case there is a panel of judges who will decide the winner. People giving thumbs up, or leaving comments, are simply that.... making their feelings known about the projects. You can leave a comment, or give a thumbs up to as many of the projects as you see fit. The thumbs and the messages will have no bearing on which project the judges ultimately pick to win. Some could argue that the thumbs and comments could sway the judges, but that could just as easily happen by checking the number of hits on any given project.

With respect Keith, IMO, we should look on this thread as a cheering section, since regardless of our choice which project wins is out of our hands.

Just my opinions based on reading the contest rules.

Keith Outten
06-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Brent,

I'm certainly willing to cheer myself, Gary's cabinets are just amazing. On the other hand there will be others who will attempt to solicit votes, when I remove their thread they will be upset because I allowed this one to continue. Then I wil have to write a book explaining how this one was different.......you can see the position if puts me in. There is no shortage of unreasonable people, they beat on me regularly :)

Brent Smith
06-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi Keith,

You're singing to the choir :). I certainly understand how some Administrative decisions can be twisted by some to fit their own designs on public forums ;).

I really just wanted to point out that unlike the last time, when a member posted about his own piece submitted to Taunton, this time the public has no say in deciding the winner.

I, of course, bow to your decision on where this thread goes from here (if anywhere). As you say, there are some who would consider anything less than a 500 page manual on the difference fair game for loopholes :D.

Al Navas
06-18-2009, 2:21 PM
... when I remove their thread they will be upset because I allowed this one to continue. Then I wil have to write a book explaining how this one was different...... There is no shortage of unreasonable people, they beat on me regularly :)
Oh, yeah???

The Devil made me do it, Keith... :D

:o :o :o :o :o

My recommendation: Leave the thread here.

Just ignore them, Keith. The tough decisions are made by the tough people, the ones with the cojones (gonads, bolas, etc.) to run a huge board, and to do it well but fairly. But there IS a difference this time, for sure - I agree with the others.

For those who might not agree, I have a message: Be nice, folks... ;) And, whatever you do, please stop beating on a nice, old(er) fellow... That is, over 29... :p

I rarely get involved in controversial stuff, as it takes more energy than I am willing to put into it - but this one IS different.

David DeCristoforo
06-18-2009, 3:02 PM
FWIW, Brent is correct. The OP did not ask anyone to "vote" on anything. He just mentioned that Gary's work was being considered and posted some links to the SMC threads so that other members could take a look. I thought this was appropriate because the thread was on the "Neander" forum where many GW&PT visitors might have missed it. It certainly is a project worthy of note... In general, I completely agree with the idea of keeping any "solicitations" off the forum....