PDA

View Full Version : Staining reddish walnut to look more like chocolate walnut

Chris Padilla
06-17-2009, 11:16 AM
So who has a recipe for coloring/staining reddish walnut to look more like the darker chocolate brown walnut?

Unfortunately, I mixed these two colors of walnut and I want to try and blend things better.

For all my reading of Bob Flexner's excellent bible, Understanding Wood Finishing: How to Select and Apply the Right Finish, I've come to learn that an aniline dye is likely my best option.

So whatchoo all got fer me? :D :D

John Keeton
06-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Chris, not real familiar with the walnut that you "Westerners" get, but the black walnut we have will really change colors with exposure to light. Is it possible that what you have is due to that, and that it will all even out over time?? Just throwing this out as your species of walnut is probably different than what I get here.

Prashun Patel
06-17-2009, 12:08 PM
The walnut I get here is steamed so it's purplish grey. I had to work to ADD BACK the reddish tones with aniline dye. On a second piece I just used tung oil which made it richer w/o altering the color.

Did you try just using amber shellac, or tung oil?

I definitely think if that doesn't work to yr liking, then yr best bet is to go aniline. I've only used the Transtints. I think the pig stains and BLO tend to blur the grain of the walnut, which is a cryin' shame IMHO.

To increase the brown, use medium brown. To decrease the red, use the slightest bit of green. I like my dyes at 1-2% in water, sponged on. With the green, I'd go even weaker.

Chris Padilla
06-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I was thinking Transtints as well (pricey suckers) over at Homestead. Only I need this like now so I can't wait for shipping so I'll have to visit my semi-local Woodcraft this weekend and hope they have some decent selections and be prepared to shell out....