PDA

View Full Version : variable speed switch question

David Prince
06-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I have a Delta 6 inch benchtop jointer 37-070. (that model was replaced by the JT160) I have had it for several years and it served its purpose. I have recently upgraded to a Delta 6 inch DELTA 37-275X X5. The benchtop model quit working one day. I took it apart and a pin in the variable speed switch soldered to the board was disconnected. I resoldered it and got it running again, but it only goes at full speed versus the variable speed. I checked with Delta and they want $129 for the controller. Heck, a new benchtop only costs $239 for the whole thing.

My question is this: Harbor Freight has a router speed control with a low, med, and high for $14.99. I am just looking for a way to slow down the benchtop jointer. Do you think this would work? The jointer has a 10 amp motor. The speed controller is rated for 15 amps. It says it isn't for soft or slow start motors. I do not think the benchtop jointer is a soft or slow start motor. Also, if I attach the speed controller, should I disconnect the current variable speed controller on the jointer or just plug it in as is. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43060

David Christopher
06-17-2009, 10:59 AM
David, look at the motor... if it has brushes like a drill or router the speed controller from HF will work..if the motor looks like one on a table saw, grinder or such it wil NOT work.......hopes this helps

Frank Drew
06-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Maybe I'm behind the times, but why have variable speed on a jointer?

David Prince
06-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I have taken the motor out and apart because I first thought that maybe the brushes wore out. They were fine. The motor appears to be a normal AC motor with normal brush action.

As far as the variable speed. The benchtop model runs at between 6,000 and 11,000 rpms. The variable speed allows you to slow it down for hardwoods and speed up for softwood.

I am not looking at putting it back into fulltime service, but hate to see it just sit there useless. So, I figured the $14.99 investment in the control should allow me to at least be able to use it for more than just cleaning up a 2 x 4.

Tom Esh
06-17-2009, 1:41 PM
Maybe I'm behind the times, but why have variable speed on a jointer?
Yeah, me too. Only reason I can think of to slow it down would be if it's building up enough heat to burn the workpiece ...but that's usually an indication the knives are dull anyway. I'd bypass that VS and let 'er rip. 11000 rpm with a 2-knife head is 22000 cpm - only slightly more than a typical 4-knife machine.

David Christopher
06-17-2009, 1:55 PM
I have taken the motor out and apart because I first thought that maybe the brushes wore out. They were fine. The motor appears to be a normal AC motor with normal brush action.

As far as the variable speed. The benchtop model runs at between 6,000 and 11,000 rpms. The variable speed allows you to slow it down for hardwoods and speed up for softwood.

I am not looking at putting it back into fulltime service, but hate to see it just sit there useless. So, I figured the $14.99 investment in the control should allow me to at least be able to use it for more than just cleaning up a 2 x 4.
David as you pointed out... your motor has brushes soooo the controller at HF should work just fine

Mike Henderson
06-17-2009, 1:57 PM

If it has brushes in it, it's most likely a universal motor and you can speed control that with any "router speed control".

If it does not have brushes, it's probably an induction motor and you cannot speed control that with a "router speed control".

Mike

Chip Lindley
06-17-2009, 3:56 PM
*Speed Control* on a jointer is a Non-Issue! You can vary your feed rate (how fast you push the wood across the cutter head) with soft- or hardwoods to compensate for hardness. I know of NO *commercial* quality jointers which entertain the notion that cutter head speed must be varied.

Many thickness planers have adjustable feed rates, BUT, they have power feed rollers to feed stock through the machine. The jointer relies on *YOU* to feed the stock (as fast or slow) as you desire, for the intended end result.

Spend your $$ on an extra set of knives rather than a speed controller!