PDA

View Full Version : Window Seat design?

brent lenthall
08-23-2004, 3:45 PM
I've been asked to make a window seat for a friends kitchen. The objective is to gain seating and some storage in the eating area. The bay window is aprox. 27" deep and has 45 degree walls 37" long to form a bottom of a triangle area.

My first thought is to setback window seat to creat a 20-24" deep bench with a straight front. However, they have a round table which would leave the outer seats too far from the table.

Other than talking them into building a new table, what are my options.

thanks,

brent

Jamie Buxton
08-23-2004, 3:59 PM
Brent --
First off, I'm afraid I don't understand the floor plan. Can you publish a drawing?

Other questions....

If somebody is sitting on this seat, what is at his back? Is he leaning against glass? Or is a protruding window sill sticking into his back?

You say you're trying to add storage -- I guess under this window seat. However, you mention a table. Are you planning on dragging the table out of the way so you can get at the storage under the seat?

Window seats are often intended for lounging, or curling up. That is, they're substantially deeper than dining chairs. However, if you intend people to sit on this seat and eat at the table, the dimensions and back support should be more like a dining chair.

Gary Whitt
08-24-2004, 8:27 AM
In this link are some standard measurements for furniture.
Seating should usually adhere to these standards or be pretty close.
http://www.woodbin.com/ref/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Nathan Hoffman
08-27-2004, 1:57 PM
The book "Not So Big Solutions" by Sarah Susanka has a section on window seats and layouts - its worth a look if you can find a copy.