PDA

View Full Version : New Bathtub

Rick Potter
06-17-2009, 1:37 AM
We are building a Granny Flat addition (living, dining room and bedroom). We would like a 66" long, 42" wide UNDERMOUNT bathtub. No whirlpool, no jets, no drop in model.

I have looked at every internet site I can find, and cannot find any for a reasonable price. This tub is the same as the one currently in our tract house (1978), except ours is 60" long, and it seems like it should be available.

We have tried the local stores, and all we can find are the narrow models, not the 42" like we have. Ours is a cast iron Kohler, but our budget needs a new one for around $1000.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Rick Potter

Johnny Pearce
06-17-2009, 1:51 AM
Rick, My experience with porcelin steel or cast iron 66" tubs has been that the manufacturers charge a premium price for them. Have you considered cultured marble or acrylic? I bought 42"x66" cultured marble non jetted tubs for around $500 when I was building.

John Fricke
06-17-2009, 5:04 PM
When we built our house 3 years ago I wanted an extra large shower pan. I searched online and in the stores and could not find size I wanted. I went and talked to my local plumbing contractor and he hooked me up. He's just a local independent not affiliated with any big chain.

Rich Engelhardt
06-18-2009, 7:05 AM
Hello,

When we built our house 3 years ago I wanted an extra large shower pan. I searched online and in the stores and could not find size I wanted. I went and talked to my local plumbing contractor and he hooked me up. He's just a local independent not affiliated with any big chain.

John has it.
Get hooked up with a local supplier that caters to the trades.
What you see/find online and at the home centers is just the tip of the iceberg of what's available.

W/the right connections &/or timing, the local supply house is significantly cheaper also.
Sometimes.

The local supply house I deal with changes their showroom displays each year.
With the right timing, it's possible to get last year's display model for pennies on the dollar.
Since their showroom is closed to the general public - viewing is only allowed when accompanied by the contractor/plumber, their displays are pristine.

Rick Potter
06-18-2009, 10:07 PM
I just gave the specs to the plumber who did the rough plumbing. He is going to see if he can find one locally for me.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Rick Potter