PDA

View Full Version : I'm a "nice guy"-I loan out tools

Kev Godwin
06-17-2009, 1:31 AM
Hey Creeker tool fans,
I'm sure I am not the only guy that has plenty of neighbors that ask to borrow various power tools and hand tools. They see me in my garage and in the driveway working on various projects and just "need to borrow a drill or circ saw or miter saw... for a little while" etc etc etc.

Most of my neighbors are really nice people but most don't know much about any project assembly let alone tool usage or tool care. I've been burned a few times in the past by loaning out some quality tools only to be met by an otherwise well intended person saying something went wrong and "It just quit working....":(:mad:

Over the last couple years I have put together a small collection of cheap power and hand tools that I now readily loan out to many friends and neighbors that ask for a loan.

I loan out various HF power and hand tools along with some store brands like Tool Shop from Menards as well as several others.

Now I get to be a "real nice guy" (according to a pretty neighbor lady my wife gets a good laugh out of) by helping out on the domestic front.

I think I've finally solved my nice guy problem of loaning out my good equipment and now get much better benefits in return for being a "good neighbor"! I only loan out what I don't worry about.

All that I ask is if the tool gets broken or is damaged they replace it. It hasn't happened yet but all have said they would be happy to do so.
------
For loaning out some cheap tools I have been given a couple home-made pies, a couple cakes, been given some baseball tickets, been given free certificates to the neighbor's car wash business, many other nice offerings as well as several cold beers and cookouts in the back yard next door!:D

Have any others met this challenge? The way this has been going for me, I actually think I'm now ahead in the profit column!:)
Kev

chris beserra
06-17-2009, 1:50 AM
You are doing it right - being a good neighbor and nice person, and taking care of what is important to you, your precious tools. I try do the same, but probably not as well as you do.:D

Bravo!

Danny Burns
06-17-2009, 6:15 AM
Interestingly enough this very subject made it into the Bible.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=12&chapter=6&verse=5&version=9&context=verse

2 Kings 6:5

Larry Edgerton
06-17-2009, 6:50 AM
"! I only loan out what I don't worry about.

Kev

This goes along with my general loan policy.

"Don't lend what you wouldn't give."

As far as tools, I "JUST SAY NO!" Thats what rental stores are for. Take a look at the tools at a rental business, and if that is what you want your tools to look like, lend at will.

I make my living with my tools, and if they are too cheap to hire me, then why should I let them borrow my tools to do my job?

Buy your own!

scott spencer
06-17-2009, 7:35 AM
I've loaned some things to people that know how to use them...the biggest issue has been getting things back. :rolleyes:

More often than not, I'll ask what a neighbor is doing and offer to perform the task myself if it's something I'm not comfortable about them doing with my tools. I'm not opposed to loaning drills and jigsaws.

whit richardson
06-17-2009, 7:50 AM
My advice to my sons is "Don't ever carry any more money in your wallet than you can afford to lose and don't loan anyone your best tools if you want to keep them that way."

glenn bradley
06-17-2009, 9:44 AM
When it comes to money - I don't lend what I won't mind not getting back. When it comes to tools, I just say no ;-( I don't have room to store extras but, I very much admire Kev's approach. Well done, you're a good man and a good neighbor.

Fred Hargis
06-17-2009, 9:50 AM
Neither a borrower nor lender be......

David Prince
06-17-2009, 10:07 AM
I find it hard to say no. I too have started a "cheap tool" collection and will gladly loan them out if asked. My "good" tools mean too much and is because of my hard earned money. I got tired of coming up with excuses why I didn't want to loan out tools.

David G Baker
06-17-2009, 10:10 AM
When it comes to loaning tools I go with the tools and if the tool breaks it will be in my hands.
I really like Kev's idea. I doubt that it would work for me because I already have all the neighbors trained. I do volunteer to help them with my front end loader if they have something heavy they need to move but I operate the tractor.
I did help a neighbor mow a very large lot with a ton of tall weeds on it. The neighbor said that there weren't any hidden things in the tall weeds. 3 or 4 rocks and a water hydrant later. My brush hog survived. The neighbor asked again the next year but my tractor was being worked on. :D

Matt Haus
06-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Interestingly enough this very subject made it into the Bible.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=12&chapter=6&verse=5&version=9&context=verse

2 Kings 6:5

42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

Matthew 5:42

I aways try to return the tools I borrow in clean condition and like they were when I borrowed them or in better shape by cleaning them really well. I have to admit, I don't like to lend out my tools and usually don't open my mouth about having them too often. But, when asked, I do try to follow my quote above.

Chris Weishaar
06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
For family and fellow woodworkers I loan out tools as well as borrow. It seems to work well. As for the neighbors none of mine are really qualified so no tools go out. I will however go and use the tools at the neighbors place or bring a quick project into the shop and knock it out. Luckily the neighbors don't ask much so it is easy to be the nice neighbor that helps out!

Chris

Danny Burns
06-17-2009, 10:45 AM
42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

Matthew 5:42

I aways try to return the tools I borrow in clean condition and like they were when I borrowed them or in better shape by cleaning them really well. I have to admit, I don't like to lend out my tools and usually don't open my mouth about having them too often. But, when asked, I do try to follow my quote above.

And 2 Kings 6:6 reads ....
" 6And the man of God said, Where fell it? And he shewed him the place. And he cut down a stick, and cast it in thither; and the iron did swim."

It's one thing to lose an axe, it's entirely another to lose a borrowed one.

So in the end the axe was returned in good clean condition.

Nothing missing, nothing broken!

Frank Drew
06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
The ideal behavior for a borrower is to return the tool to the hand of the owner (or other agreed upon location), at the time promised or sooner, and in at least as good if not better condition than when you borrowed it (cleaned, oiled, sharpened, fueled up, etc.) If you damage a tool, fix it if possible or replace it, ideally with a better one.

In the real world, however, I've been pretty dismayed by how casually even friends handle their (borrowing) end of the transaction, frequently forgetting to return the tool to me, if not losing the tool altogether. For too many, once their use of the tool is done, that's the last time they think about it; if you're lucky, you'll at least be able to find your tool somewhere in their car or house.

Brian Kent
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM
My dad was a jazz drummer, so his drums were the tools of his trade. He told his students that the only things he did not loan out were his toothbrush and his drums.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I loan out some tools as many have pointed out. I loan out the tools that are duplicates, or I don't really care about. What goes around, comes around. More so, I tell friends and neighbors that my services are free (to a certain extent) and if they need to cut some boards, build a step stool etc, come on over.
Sometimes they "forget" a case of beer at my house..... Haven't gotten a pie yet.

Vic Damone
06-17-2009, 12:12 PM
The ideal behavior for a borrower is to return the tool to the hand of the owner (or other agreed upon location), at the time promised or sooner, and in at least as good if not better condition than when you borrowed it (cleaned, oiled, sharpened, fueled up, etc.) If you damage a tool, fix it if possible or replace it, ideally with a better one.

In the real world, however, I've been pretty dismayed by how casually even friends handle their (borrowing) end of the transaction, frequently forgetting to return the tool to me, if not losing the tool altogether. For too many, once their use of the tool is done, that's the last time they think about it; if you're lucky, you'll at least be able to find your tool somewhere in their car or house.

+1
Years ago and the last time I loaned a tool out the borrower had the sand to say that the tool was, "about to break anyway".

With the exception of two close friends who have these same values when it comes to borrowing, most of my good deed doing has resulted in disappointment. In these cases the disappointment isn't about the object it's the disappointment in the person.

Danny and Matt, what's your number so I can refer these turkeys to you guys. Just kidding.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-17-2009, 12:37 PM
I agree with the above, you also need to temper your tool loaning to people who you'll expect to take care of your tools.... I stand corrected. I did loan tools to supposed friends, and never got then back, or damaged in some way. SO they got cancelled off of the tool loan list.

Peter Kuhlman
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Kev - you sure have it set up right!

My son borrows tools from me and he knows how anal I am about keeping them in near perfect condition. It is amazing how beat up they are when he returns them but how do I say no to a son with a "new" house that needs lots of repairs? My problem.

I own virtually any tool I could ever need - and quality ones - so don't borrow from others. Years ago when building a deck and having no real power tools, a guy from work let me use his shop to cut and mill railings. When I got done, my young son and I completely cleaned his entire shop - it was immaculate when we were done. He was forever asking me to come back and use the place :) .

Tony Profera
06-17-2009, 1:29 PM
I too have been burned a few times with someone that forgets to return the now broken or trashed tool. Its hard for me to say "no".

What I will not loan out is a power tool that could cause seriuos injury or death. If your neighbor cuts his femoral artery with a borrowed chainsaw and bleeds out, you stand a big chance of his estate sueing you AND WINNING. Was the saw regularly serviced? Was the neighbor properly trained? Was the proper safety equipment provided with the saw.Think this can't happen to you? You have at least some degree of responsibility in most states. Even if you win it will cost you dearly. It's sad but true.

So, I mostly now go with the tool and help out.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-17-2009, 1:42 PM
Have any others met this challenge? Kev

Yah. I learned early on the judicious application of the negative.
I can say "no" very nicely.

Frank Drew
06-17-2009, 4:54 PM
Years ago when building a deck and having no real power tools, a guy from work let me use his shop to cut and mill railings. When I got done, my young son and I completely cleaned his entire shop - it was immaculate when we were done.

That's what I'm talking about -- repay someone's generosity that way and they'll let you use anything they own. But guilt someone into lending you a tool and they'll regret it and you eventually will.

Marty Paulus
06-17-2009, 5:32 PM
I borrowed a roto tiller once from a friend. It broke while I was using it. Told him about it, took a few weeks to get the parts. Tuned it up and cleaned it before I returned it. He still tells me how much better it runs since I borrowed it! I don't usually lend out tools except to select friends that are qualified to use them.

Julian Wong
06-17-2009, 5:57 PM
When I got done, my young son and I completely cleaned his entire shop - it was immaculate when we were done.

Mixed feelings about this...

I have a hard time finding stuff even when I clean the shop or put things where they're "supposed" to be. I don't think I'll be able to find anything if someone else cleans my shop ;)

Maybe it'll be less painful finding stuff in a clean shop?

Brian Backner
06-17-2009, 6:08 PM
I would have to agree that one should NEVER loan out tools. When I was much younger and naive, the stuff I loaned out came back looking like it had been through every war mankind has ever fought! Today, if it's a good friend looking to borrow something, I either go with the tool and help out, or, if possible, they bring whatever needs to be worked on to me. I'm the only guy around that's a certified welder so I get a lot of requests for that portion of my shop tools - I'm easy though - I only charge them for the rods/wire and a six pack, which they end up drinking half of anyway.

I have to disagree that buying throw-away tools from HF or wherever is a good idea/practice. Why get these numnutz tool-illiterates into the habit of being able to borrow anything from you to begin with? Each time you say yes to a request, the next one becomes that much harder to turn down,

Brian

Peter Kuhlman
06-17-2009, 6:25 PM
Yea I wish I had taken before and after photos of the shop that we cleaned. There was probably 6-10" of sawdust/chips on much of the floor and everything was obviously covered with dust. My son even enjoyed doing it! I bet he "found" lots of tools after we left :D .
I have the same philosophy of tool renting, always try to return it cleaner than I received it. Am I weird or what? :confused:
This tool loaning/borrowing type thread pops up regularly here and no-one has the perfect answer to it.
Pete

george wilson
06-17-2009, 6:40 PM
I have usually had decent luck when loaning tools. A few bad ones come to mind. The journeyman in the cabinetmaker's shop came into the instrument maker's shop and borrowed a pair of nippers. The only ones I had were some piano wire nippers. Ha came back with half of 1 jaw broken off. I asked him what he had been doing with them? "Pulling nails." I told him to keep them,I didn't want to have them in the shop to look at in that condition. I should have asked him what he wanted them for,but I was new there,and didn't realize what an idiot the guy was.

Another time I loaned my 14" Delta bandsaw fence to old Mr. Simms,who I respected. He sent it back via his hippy son. I found various parts between the parking lot and the shop-knobs,clips,etc.. Fortunately I found them all. Some years later I was overseeing the cabinet shop as well as my own. Some vice president asked my boss to give him a second chance.He had been fired from another museum position. Eventually,because he was such an incredible moron,he got himself fired there,too,by order of the president of the museum,who got word of something the guy said to some visitors to the cabinet shop. I couldn't get my boss to fire him because he was so afraid of offending the vice president who had asked for the second chance. So,my boss ended up embarrassing himself after multiple reports from me about how bad the guy was.

Another time I was begged by William and Mary College to loan their ballet's head teacher a violin. "Oh,she is very careful". Several months went by and I started calling around to see where the violin was. "Oh,she's overseas." I finally got hold of some student ying yang who turned up at my shop with the violin case in hand,saying "I think there's a violin in there." I wanted to punch his lights out for his attitude. The violin was in the case. Needless to say,I never loaned those jerks anything else.

I should have known better than to loan the violin,because those people fall into the same category as actors: They care about nothing except their acting (or dancing.)

Kev Godwin
06-17-2009, 8:12 PM
I have to disagree that buying throw-away tools from HF or wherever is a good idea/practice. Why get these numnutz tool-illiterates into the habit of being able to borrow anything from you to begin with? Each time you say yes to a request, the next one becomes that much harder to turn down,

Brian

"Why get these numnutz....?"
I guess the answer is to be helpful if I can and I can afford to do so. If I ever needed some type of assistance I know I could count on them to help me as well. I have watched a few of these borrowers begin to get some basic skills and they have since started to purchase some of their own tools. I helped some of them in recommending the right tools for what they intend to do.

But the real reason I let the "tool-illiterates" borrow is because my parents tortured me when I was just a lad. They forced me to watch Mr. Rogers.:rolleyes:
Kev

Ron Bontz
06-17-2009, 9:06 PM
Just a small tid bit from my perspective. My insurance person once told me if I loan out a tool or let some one use my tools in the shop, and some one gets hurt, it becomes a liability problem. Anyone can be a good neighbor, relative, etc. until they loose a finger. I do not generally loan out any tool that could cause serious injury. Saws etc. I do however offer to help buy planning, cutting the wood etc. myself. :)

Mike Henderson
06-17-2009, 9:12 PM
I will lend to, and borrow from, a small number of fellow woodworkers. Someone may have a tool that the other person is interested in and wants to try it out before buying. Or someone may have a special purpose tool that the other person just can't justify buying.

But mostly, we don't lend or borrow. I don't think any of us feel good about having the responsibility for another person's tools.

Mike

Bruce Wrenn
06-17-2009, 10:53 PM
I lend tools to a SELECT few. I have seen how they take care of their own tools. It's usually something that they only need once in a lifetime. Once a friend upon being asked for the loan of his tools, looked the guy straight in the face and said "My wife going to be out of town for a few days, so can I use yours? I will return her in as good of condition as I get her, less usual wear and tear." Needless to say second party said he really didn't need to borrow any tools. Very worst thing is to lend a tool, and find it has been "reloaned to another." Ever go up to a stranger's door and ask for YOUR drill?

Jim Kountz
06-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Ive loaned various things before but I always feel uneasy about it. Now when it comes to my actual shop tools I never loan them out for any reason to anyone. They stay in the shop always, I dont even take them out. I have jobsite tools I use for my business and I will on occasion loan them out.

Guy Belleman
06-18-2009, 4:48 AM
tools. As my income and abilities have increased, my tools got better. Along the way, I lost some of the tools to "friends" and neighbors. It has gotten easy to say no, even to my own children. All of the cheap tools I started with are long gone, usually into the kids tool box when they were little. Now, to them, I say "Why don't I come along and see what you are trying to do, and how we might best approach the problem. I find they often haven't researched their glorious idea very well. Turns into great learning sessions for all of us. Otherwise my tools stay locked up and private.

Bob Genovesi
06-18-2009, 6:55 AM
I like many others here learned the hard way. So many times I lent tools to good friends and they'd come back abused, broken, or not at all.

Now when neighbors and friends ask I politely tell them NO, I don't lend tools... If or friendship hinges on whether or not I'll lend them a tool then they're not a real friend...

Tim Boger
06-18-2009, 7:31 AM
I will loan tools to help a friend .... but my thought is that when the tool is out of my position I have "given" it away. If I'm fortunate, I'll get it back.

Michael Prisbylla
06-18-2009, 1:29 PM
Maybe it's not very Christian of me, but I only loan tools to 2 people, my father, who already has one of everything so he rarely borrows, and the guy whose house my shop is at (rent free) because I really can't say no (and he rarely uses them anyway). I've been burned by unreturned tools too many times to make that mistake again. I make my living with my tools so they're rather important to me.

Frank Drew
06-18-2009, 1:42 PM
I will loan tools to help a friend .... but my thought is that when the tool is out of my position I have "given" it away. If I'm fortunate, I'll get it back.

That's probably a good way to look at it, Tim.

I somewhat alienated a friend one time who wanted to borrow a tool of mine for a friend of his to use; I needed the thing to stay precise and I just wasn't confident that it would return that way.

Brian Frances
06-18-2009, 2:46 PM
This is a very good question. I am curious to see who would gladly lend out a precison tool even for an hour? Raise your hand if you would lend out a Starret 90 degree square or any tool for that matter that you use for calibrating your other cutting tools?

sean m. titmas
06-18-2009, 3:05 PM
since my tools provide an income for me and i am very attached to them i do not loan tools to anyone. sometimes a neighbor or fellow carpenter will continue to ask to use them so i need to follow up their question of "can i borrow your so-and-so tool?" with a question of my own "can i borrow your wife?" by using a bit of humor i get my point across. most times when its a neighbor who asks i'll just offer to go and do whatever it is that they needed the tool for. not only does it ensure that my tools are not abused but many times it has led to some paying work or referrals and gaining a new client.

Alan Greene
06-18-2009, 4:54 PM
Brian, I would not lend out any of my precision tools. I do lend out some tools to a select few friends and neighbors and sometimes end up following the tool to the job. That on occasion has lead to some humorous situations.
The few friends and neighbors don't all have the same borrowing "rights".

Chris Tsutsui
06-18-2009, 5:36 PM
I only let somebody borrow a tool that I can afford to lose. (which narrows it down to my harbor freight bench top brush and #2 pencil)

:)

In reality I'm the nice guy on my block, and a neighbor has used my jointer and I redid my neighbor's kitchen cabinets for real cheap.

If my tool gets messed up, well that's ok because I'm not emotionally attached to material possessions ever since I had my new motorcycle stolen.

Sure it blows to never see a tool again, or to get one back that's broken, but that's the price you pay for being generous.

David Hostetler
06-18-2009, 5:37 PM
I have a couple of categories of loaners. Shop equipment is NOT one of those categories.

I have some cheap handheld power tools, mostly picked up used, or ultra cheap like a Skil circ saw, jig saw, HF power drill, etc... And a mess of cheapo Chinese import hammers, screwdrivers, sockets, etc... that would happily get loaned out to anyone in need. But honestly, usually if it is one or two quick cuts, I would offer to do the task at hand. Better that than getting sued because the neighbor doesn't know enough to keep his digits clear of a circ saw blade...

Other equipment, the higher end stuff, my Estwing hammers, My Snap On stuff, my Ridgid stuff... I have a couple of very long time friends that we loan and borrow tools to and from, have for years. I busted a Skil 18V recip saw a friend loaned me, I bought him a Ryobi LiIon 18V kit with recip, drill, light, charger and 2 batteries. (The Skil was no longer in production) plus I gave him a pack of blades...

By the same token, he busted an old B&D drill of mine years ago, gave me a much nicer Craftsman drill, countersink bit set, Ti bit set, hole saws (which I have since busted), etc... It kind of works out...