PDA

View Full Version : More pens ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-20-2003, 11:26 PM
I managed to get to the WC store today and get bushings to do some European Style pens. I'd been wanting to start getting into the various styles and this was my first opportunity. It was fun ... even cutting the tenon for the ring wasn't difficult. Now I have two types in my arsenal!:) I can't wait to get ahold of some corian to work on. Looks like a Jet mini or a Delta midi may be in my future, depending on SWMBO's input (of course). I've enjoyed the Shopsmith, but would like a more compact, smoother machine to do this type work on. Thanks for looking ...

Bob Janka
03-21-2003, 9:13 AM
Ron,

Great pens! I'm happy to share our mutual addiction. ;)

Since you have a WoodCraft store nearby, don't forget to consider the Nova (?) Mercury mini-lathe. It seems quite comparable to the Delta and Jet mini/midi lathes. In addition, it has electronic variable speed and support for outboard turning. While it has a shorter bed (8" swing by 8" length), a 12" extension is available. For me, 20" would be plenty for home-based turnings. For anything larger, I'll just use the BIG lathes at the Craft Center. :)

Cheers,
Bob

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Since you have a WoodCraft store nearby, don't forget to consider the Nova (?) Mercury mini-lathe. It seems quite comparable to the Delta and Jet mini/midi lathes. In addition, it has electronic variable speed and support for outboard turning. While it has a shorter bed (8" swing by 8" length), a 12" extension is available. Cheers,
Bob [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Bob ... I agree. I would like the variable speed and the swing and extensions would be fine with me. When I build my dream shop next spring, SWMBO says to make sure I get the tools I need (want) figured into the mortgage payments! What a gal!:D Here's the latest Eurpoean pens I did this morning ... this is fun!!!!!!!