PDA

View Full Version : Guess What I Got My Daughter for Bday?

Greg Crawford
06-16-2009, 11:55 PM
A SKYDIVE!

She's wanted to do this for years, and had planned on this for her 18th. It's a year late, but I'll let you judge whether it was still fun for her or not. The redhead is one of her closest friends.

They had to watch a short video, then went to get geared up. The man in the black jump suit is her photographer (got vid and stills of the whole thing). Final gear check before boarding the plane with their instructors, and the next thing is a parachute with 4 legs. My guess is they had fun. I know I did!

Johnny Pearce
06-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Greg, Was this at Martindale, Texas? I built a lot of houses just up the road before you get to San Marcos in the Hopson Ranch and Butterfly Meadows Subdisions. I built a new home there for the owner of the Skydive Texas.
Johnny

Peter Stahl
06-17-2009, 6:12 AM
My daughter did this when she was stationed in Pensacola. She said she would have liked to have done it often but was too expensive. Looks like they had a great time and I'm sure they'll want to go up again soon!

Greg Crawford
06-17-2009, 6:22 AM
Johnny,

It was at Skydive Spaceland, South of Houston. Great folks, very professional. There was also a very nice onshore breeze that close to the coast to help take the edge off the heat.

Peter,

I know what she means. I started jumping in 1976, and stopped around 1984 when I moved to the Houston area. It was too hot around here to be very enjoyable when packing and waiting on loads. Now, there's AC and many more amenities. The cost is still high, with gear being $1000+, and probably closer to $2000. Then each jump I think is about $50. It's all priorities though. When I was single and making decent money, instead of spending it on cars and other "stuff", my money all went up in aircraft exhaust.

BTW, I still don't know who had more fun yesterday, daughter or dad. I'm still smiling :-) ) ) ) )

Rich Engelhardt
06-17-2009, 7:17 AM
Hello,
:)

I jumped twice. First time because it was something I always wanted to try.

The 2nd time, it was because I was scared so ----less the first time, I didn't remember a whole lot about the first one. :D

PS - Great time! Glad I did it! Have no desire to ever do it again!

Congrats to you little girl for being a member of the close knit society that knows what a PLF is.