PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Floor Finished

Jim Rimmer
06-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Put down the 1/4 round and filled the nail holes today so dining room is finished except for a little touch up painting. :D

Rick Potter
06-17-2009, 1:07 AM
Looks good, Jim.

I am thinking of flooring in our new kitchen. Is this solid bamboo, or veneer?

Was it hard to install?

Where did you get it?

We would like Oak, but are not sure we can swing it, saw the Bamboo at Lowes, and wondered about it.

Rick Potter

Jim Rimmer
06-17-2009, 9:20 AM
Looks good, Jim.

I am thinking of flooring in our new kitchen. Is this solid bamboo, or veneer?

Was it hard to install?

Where did you get it?

We would like Oak, but are not sure we can swing it, saw the Bamboo at Lowes, and wondered about it.

Rick Potter
It is solid bamboo. We got it at Floor & Decor in Houston. Color is Ameretto. I was told it had to be glued down since it was going over concrete and that is a very difficult task. I was also told I had to use a special urethane glue for bamboo which is not any more difficult to work with than any other glue, I guess. However, we wiped off the glue that got on the boards with mineral spirits as directed but it left small spots that we can't get rid of (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114350&highlight=glue+hardwood) We have decided to live with them. In additon to the stuff listed in the thread above, I also tried acetone with no luck.

Whatever you decide, one thing I did that might help (but make the job a little longer) was to dry fit every board so everything was precut and I was sure it would go in ok. Then I took them up and numbered them on the back with a sharpie and reinstalled by the numbers (in reverse order).
After doing this I think laying laminate or click-lock would be a walk in the park.

Good luck - would like to see pics of your project when your done.

harry strasil
06-17-2009, 10:14 AM
We went this route for our kitchen floor, one piece 12' by 12' Vinyl Sheet. It more or less matches the new cabinets.

Rick Potter
06-18-2009, 9:59 PM
Jim, Thanks for the info. Obviously I have a lot to learn.

Harry, That looks real good too. What brand vinyl is that?

Rick Potter

harry strasil
06-19-2009, 1:12 AM
Armstrong, Rick