PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions - Lathe and Tool Supplier

Rick Flink
06-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Well the Pioneer Mini Lathe that I got last year to start off my woodturning adventure has the bearings going out in the head stock. (By the way, this is the 2nd Pioneer I've had. The original ate the bearings in the first 2 weeks and it was replaced with my current model by Western Tool.)

Because of the bearing problem, Mama has agreed to let me get a new lathe with a budget of $800.00. What I'm looking at is: http://timberlinetools.com/v/vspfiles/templates/tws/images/clear1x1.gif http://timberlinetools.com/v/vspfiles/templates/tws/images/nophoto-0.gif JET 708352] JWL-1236, 12" x 34-1/2" Wood Lathe with Stand, 3/4HP, 1Ph, 115/230V (http://timberlinetools.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Jet+708352&CartID=1)

I have had the opportunity to see one of these in action, and I believe it would be a good step up the lathe ladder. (don't tell the old gal what I said though) Any comments, or opinions on this particular Jet lathe would be appreciated.

The second question is, I can get this lathe from a supplier by the name of Timberline Tools out of Utah. They definitely have the lowest price on this lathe, and the shipping cost would put me right at my $800.00 budget. Has anyone either done business with, or have knowledge of this company and their reliability to get you what was ordered, in a timely manner as well as how do they handle problems with tools they sell? If I get this through the Spokane, WA Woodcraft store, I would actually have to spend $50.00 more between the price of the lathe, and getting shipped 255 miles to my home in Montana.

Thanks all for any insight you can give me on these topics.

Rick Flink (mtgrizzly52)

David Christopher
06-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Rick, I dont know what you are turning but I think I would take a look at the jet 1220 vs......it is variable speed and about 500 dollars....I think it would be a better bang for the buck

Gordon Seto
06-16-2009, 11:08 PM
The Jet 1236 was my first lathe. I upgraded to a Jet 1014VS, which is a more enjoyable lathe to use within its capacity.
The mechanical Reeves Drive is an old technology that requires constant maintenance. It never runs as smooth as the Jet mini/midi. If you need the bed length, you are better off with the 1220 VS with bed extension.
Not long ago, Woodcraft had the Nova 1624 on sale for $900. That is a much better choice than the 1236. Harbor Freight has the 1236 clone always on sale for around $180 with coupon.
Don't make the mistake I did. I should have listened to the advice on buying the Jet mini lathe instead. Foolishly I thought bigger was better.
The 1220VS has the minimum speed of 200 which is more suitable for turning not yet balanced bowls.

john l graham
06-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Hey Rick, good to see you on here. You can stop by over her in Libby and look at a General 25-200 I got out of Portland for around 500. Sorry to hear about your other machine going down but good for you on the future upgrade. John

Jim Slovik
06-16-2009, 11:52 PM
http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19220
$569.00 from tool man.

Bernie Weishapl
06-17-2009, 12:06 AM
I agree with taking a look at the Jet 1220 or the Delta 46-460. They both will match the 12" swing of the 1236 and with a bed extension they will do the same turnings and have VS. I have the 1220 and just love it.

Reed Gray
06-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Another vote for the 1220VS. I have one and was surprised at how much torque it has. I have turned on the Jet you are looking at, and think the 1220 is a much better lathe. For one thing, the variable speed as compared to the Reeves drive. Also, on the 1236, the motor is on backwards in my opinion. It sticks out past the headstock and gets in the way some times, as well as the cooling intake for the motor is right where all the sanding dust will go.

robo hippy

Rick Flink
06-17-2009, 3:09 AM
http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19220
$569.00 from tool man.

Ok, I'm sold for sure!!!! Now what in the heck is tool man? I search high and low tonight for that supplier.

Also, thanks for alerting me to this machine. It is sweet!

Rick

Bill Blasic
06-17-2009, 4:38 AM
Rick,
I have both the Jet 1220 VS and the Delta 46-460. These are both very nice machines. The Delta has just a wee bit more to offer with 12 1/2 swing and 1HP, plus reversing. It sits about 2" higher than the jet and it looks like the bearings are about 3/8 further apart. It has a new method of changing the belt position and the belt is wide like the bigger lathes. The VS is smoother ramping from low to high on the Delta than the Jet.
I have ran the Jet for hours and the motor and bearing do not even approach warm where the Delta's motor and bearings are warmer than the Jet but have not approached hot. I was just able to get the Jet bed extension and stand extension for $55 plus shipping (delivery today), the Delta's bed extension and stand are not yet available.
Both of the lathes fit and finish are very good and both weigh in at about 100 pounds. I'm keeping both as I would not want to have to choose between them. I have many more hours on the Jet than the Delta. It is great that we have two companies offering two great midi lathes and I think that this might make other companies jump in with similar products.
Bill

Jeff Nicol
06-17-2009, 6:21 AM
Rick, My first lathe looks just like the jet you are looking at and it drove me crazy with the reeves drive. So I eventually spent a couple hundred bucks to put in a VFD and new motor to get infinite VS. For the money I would definitly get the 1220VS and an extension for turning longer spindles. You will come out ahead in the long run.

Remember the wife can't fire you!!

Have fun,

Jeff

Peter Lamb
06-17-2009, 7:41 AM
Take a good look at this one . It has many features the 1220 doesn't have. One being 250 RPMs suitable for thread chasing, among others
Peter

Mike Meredith
06-17-2009, 1:30 PM
Jim is right, the Delta 46-460 is a very nice machine. Unless you plan on doing long items, stair case spindles, very tall candle sticks, etc, the true variable speed, reversible 1 HP DC motor is great starter lathe untill you feel the need for the big platters. With the low speed range, 250 rpm minimum, your could take up hand chasing of threads and make your very understanding wife lots of great give away things. Never under estimate the value of spousal good will.

Scott Conners
06-17-2009, 6:29 PM
Ok, I'm sold for sure!!!! Now what in the heck is tool man? I search high and low tonight for that supplier.

Also, thanks for alerting me to this machine. It is sweet!

Rick
I think Jim might have meant ToolNut - http://www.toolnut.com/
They often have the best prices and are well known around here for their great service.

Rick Flink
06-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Thank you all for your honest assessment of the Jet 1236. I was really looking forward to getting that lathe, and you all saved me some real heart ache and burn. I have decided to order the Delta 46-460 through ToolNut (thanks for that information and they did beat everyone on the price.) I'll be ordering it in just a little bit this morning.

As far as keeping the spouse happy, as long as I'm making pens, she's happy, but she could care less about the bowls and boxes etc. She's a strange lady, but is a great friend, spouse, and lifelong companion.

Rick

Gordon Seto
06-18-2009, 1:36 PM
Take a good look at this one . It has many features the 1220 doesn't have. One being 250 RPMs suitable for thread chasing, among others
Peter
I don't know what is the magical number 250 in thread chasing.
I believe Alan Batty suggested around 300 in his DVD, but I don't think it is etched in stone.

For the record, the 1220 VS starts at 200 rpm.http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/92a0a3af-1.jpg

Jim Slovik
06-18-2009, 2:09 PM
By the way, I own a Jet 1220 but if I was buying today, I would give the Delta a good look. Don't get me wrong, I have no complaints about the 1220 but the Delta looks like it may have more features that we look for in a lathe.

Phil Labowski
06-18-2009, 8:34 PM
I'm new to all this and looking to get my first lathe. I only have standard wiring in the house though, I think it's 110. Will the Delta just plug into my wall and go? Also, what is "thread chasing"?

Rick Flink
06-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Phil,

The Delta 46-460 is a 120 volt machine, so plug and play is definitely available. Although I've never attempted thread chasing before, I believe that term has to do with cutting threads on the lathe by hand with special tools which will allow you to screw on lids on boxes for example. If I am wrong on this Forum Members, then please let us know exactly what the term means.

Rick