PDA

View Full Version : New (used) Woodmaster Drum Sander Gloat!

Doug Mason
06-16-2009, 10:38 PM
About a month ago I posted about a craigslist ad of a cabinetmaker (a 100+ miles one-way from me) who was selling his 37' Woodmaster as he had upgraded to a more industrial grade wide belt sander. His price was $800 plus alot of sandpaper. At that time, I was researching drum sanders to aid me in my lamination projects--and this was chaeper (and most likely better unless it was really beat-up from production work) than buying new. So, without having any idea what I was doing (I had never used a drum sander), I rented a truck and went to pick it up. At first I was shocked at how large and heavy it was--but there was no turning back--so I had him load it onto the truck (he used his tractor).

At home, I had to get two other hands to help me unload it (it was not easy!) onto a heavy-duty dollie I made. And it has been sitting in my garage ever since--waiting for me to get the 220v and dust collection set-up. The strange thing is that until today I have had buyers remorse--thinking this thing is to industrial for me and my hobby shop--even though I have space for it. Well, today finally got everything hooked up and took it for a test ride.

120900 120901

Well, after using it, my buyers remorse is gone. I think I'm going to like it!:) The last picture is a ten ft piece of cherry about 3/16 thick from the bandsaw that I ran through the sander to clean it up.

Bruce Page
06-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Doug, you’re going to love it! Especially if you have the room, and it looks like you do. I bought a used 2675 a couple of years ago and just smile every time that I use it.

Chip Lindley
06-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Doug, IF its TOO MUCH for ya...I will gladly give you $100 MORE than you paid for it! LOL

Larry Edgerton
06-17-2009, 7:07 AM
A friend of mine just gave me one of those that looks like new for storing his junk in one of my buildings. I haven't set it up yet as I am moving my shop. He did some very nice work and used it for sizing parts, so it willl be a nice addition. I want a wide belt, but I want a lot of things.......

Chip Lindley
06-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I consider the Woodmaster DS the *Cadillac* among all the others. There are good imports, but the Woodmaster is made in Kansas City! Woodmaster pioneered the *velcro* drum/sandpaper. Their variable speed/reversible conveyor is excellent!

I have watched the big 52" Woodmaster in action and am *inLUV*! Two size grits can be wrapped side-by-side on that long drum, saving time, and sanding most every cabinet piece, coarse/ medium, or medium/fine! When a large piece like a tabletop need be sanded, the 52" can handle that TOO!

Doug, I up the anty! I would give $250! above what you paid for that 38" sander, should it be *too much* for ya! LOL