PDA

View Full Version : Granite Countertop - What do you think of this installation?

Andy Pedler
06-16-2009, 10:06 PM
We're getting close to having our kitchen remodel done. Today the guys came in and started installing the granite countertops. They brought in the slabs, took measurments, and cut the pieces and spent most of the day polishing and bullnosing some cut ends. Here's a picture of the progress so far. Note that most of the pieces are not yet glued down (only the one left of the range is glued).
I haven't seen granite counters installed before, so I'm not sure how worried/disappointed/upset I should be about the results. But right now I'm not too pleased. In the picture above there is a seam that you can see on the right-hand side of the peninsula and one piece runs the length of the peninsula to the wall. I think the guys cut that piece about an inch or so too short! Now there is a gap of about 13/16" between the peninsula piece and one wall, and about 11/16" on the other. Here's some pictures of the gaps.
Is this normal? I can't believe that it is. We haven't decided on what backsplash to use yet, but if we went with 3/8" tile I'd need some backerboard just to fill that gap and bring the backsplash out even with the back edge of the countertop.

Any thoughts? Am I making too big a deal out of this? I know that there has to be some gap at the wall, but over 3/4" seems like way too much.

Andy - Newark, CA

Stephen Musial
06-16-2009, 10:24 PM
We redid our kitchen a couple of years ago. The granite company came in and made templates of everything. They took it back to their shop and fabricated everything. When they brought it back, it fit like a glove. No gaps at all (even on the sink top that was getting backsplash).

I'd tell them that if there's more than 1/16" gap, to redo it.

Jim Kountz
06-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Thats unacceptable to me. Theres no reason in the world for a gap that size and dont let ANYONE tell you there is. Thats just crap work to me. Be darned if Id pay for it.

Bob Lloyd
06-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Andy

That is way too big a gap. I would not accept it if was a project that I was responsible for; with templates they should be spot on. Did they measure this or make templates? I have never not had someone come on site to make templates. I agree with you, someone screwed up and they should redo it.

Bob

C Scott McDonald
06-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Wow! Thats not good. Tell them "You guys can bring in the one that fits now!

Tim Morton
06-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Just wondering if they are maybe not sitting in there final position yet...maybe they are just roughly put in place? How do the fronts look?

But the seam in the "L" is completely not acceptable in my opinion....i would not accept that at all....

Tom Godley
06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Whenever I have had stone tops installed a template out of 1/4 plywood was made and the tops were cut in a shop. Delivered them finished and ready to drop in place

I have paid extra so as to not have any seams -- but with that one "L" shaped top that you have I do not think it would be possible without an unbelievable expense - but seams at the inside corner like that are more noticeable.

As to the other gaps -- I do not know how they expect to hide the edge. The wide backslash will hide the other seam but not the edge??

I would question the work before they get further along.

phil harold
06-16-2009, 11:15 PM
maybe you could ad two layers of sheet rock to all your wall to hide thier gap

or some 3/4" paint

not acceptable

Granite used to be a spendy thing for the rich now everyone wants it in thier house

I see companies selling granite tops that are just mass produced slabs cut and butted into place for a lot less money than before
but still unacceptable gap in my eyes

glenn bradley
06-16-2009, 11:51 PM
My neighbors seam is almost invisible. He had to point it out. I thought it was Corian the fit was so clean. It can't be in the final position and look like that can it? I just have to think that they are in a temporary position pending whatever the next step is.

Andy Pedler
06-17-2009, 1:39 AM
Thanks for all the replies, folks. I'll be at the shop when they open tomorrow to complain. I was hesitant to complain too loud today since I must confess ignorance about how these things go in, but I agree with everyone, it looks bad and I can't think of how they planned to fix the bullnose edges where they meet (or don't meet) the walls. Thank goodness they aren't glued down yet. They are just resting in place. In any case, piece A in the figure below is cut too short, and there's not much they could do about that. How many times have I done this same thing in the woodshop!

Some background on this. The installers came out a week ago and too measurements of everything. The granite is pre-fabricated, so this morning they brought out three slabs. 2 were 9' long with bullnosing along one long edge and one short edge. The 3rd was a so-called "island" piece that was 3'x8' with bullnosing all around. The layout that they had discussed previously with me is shown below.

Piece A is the island piece, and the final width had to be only 2' 6", and in order to minimize the number of seams it had to be cut down from its 8' length. That's where I think they goofed. They cut it down too much and made piece A too short by a couple inches. Then they pulled pieces B and C away from the wall a little bit and pulled A away from the wall to try to split the difference.

Thanks again! I'll post later once this whole thing gets resolved.

Andy - Newark, CA

Matt Meiser
06-17-2009, 8:43 AM
If they aren't glued down I wouldn't complain but rather ask some questions first. If they did indeed screw up, don't let them continue until they fix it.

Dan Mages
06-17-2009, 9:03 AM
This is completely unacceptable crapwork and it should be redone. If you can slip a sheet of paper into it, it is too big of a seam. I hate to ask, but was this kitchen done by one of the Borgs? It would not surprise me. Tell them they have 1 week to redo it with at least a 10% discount or you want a full refund.

Regarding the seam. How far is it from the sink to the inside of the L. When I had granite done in my last house, they put the seam at the front and back of the sink to make it less visible.

Dan

Belinda Barfield
06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Andy,

Professional opinion. I've been in the granite countertop industry for eight years. The countertops are completely unacceptable. Call the company, ask them to remove the countertops, and demand your money back.

First, don't use any company that fabricates on site. A good countertop company will make templates, fabricate at their facility, an install everything at once. The only onsite fabrication that might be done would be a cutout for a cooktop or drop in sink. Those cutouts should be partially done at the facility. We always avoid seaming across a peninsula or island if possible. You didn't give a backline measurement of the sink run but, depending on the size of the slab, I would have placed the seam to the right of the sink if at all possible. Prior to fabrication you should have been asked to sign off on a drawing or plan for the countertops.

I really hate to ask this, but did you verify that these guys have worker's comp and general liability insurance in place? Did you get references?

You should be able to get a really good price on granite countertops now as most companies are really hurting for business. I can't stress this enough, don't settle for these tops.

Andy Pedler
06-17-2009, 1:50 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I really appreciate it. A few comments...

This is not being done by a BORG subcontractor. We shopped around at various tile/marble/granite stores around here before selecting this one. We did get referrals which were positive. They are licensed and insured, not fly-by-night. I think we just had some misfortune when the lead installer incorrectly made a measurement and cut once without measuring twice.

I stopped by the store this morning and talked to the folks there about my concerns, showed them the photos above, and they have agreed to fix everything to my satisfaction. So far I'm pleased with how they are choosing to address the situation. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks again!

Andy - Newark, CA

Jim Becker
06-20-2009, 5:40 PM
The countertops are completely unacceptable.

Isn't that the truth!!!

Properly fabricated counter tops "fit like a glove". That requires accurate templates, not just "measuring". You need the owner or someone of management authority from the fabricator to come out, inspect the work and make arrangements for a replacement counter to be constructed. That is absolutely NOT correctly done. Not even close...

Phil Thien
06-20-2009, 5:52 PM
Properly fabricated counter tops "fit like a glove".

Yep, and that was also the fastest aspect of our kitchen. They came one afternoon and measured. They came back a week or so later for the install and were in and out in about an hour and a half. They spent more time struggling to carefully move the pieces inside than anything else.

Garth Keel
06-20-2009, 6:00 PM
As was noted above, templates are needed not just measurements. In my instillation everything fits so well I can hardly find the joints and I know where they are!

Andy Bardowell
06-21-2009, 6:28 PM
We're getting close to having our kitchen remodel done. Today the guys came in and started installing the granite countertops. They brought in the slabs, took measurments, and cut the pieces and spent most of the day polishing and bullnosing some cut ends. Here's a picture of the progress so far. Note that most of the pieces are not yet glued down (only the one left of the range is glued).
I haven't seen granite counters installed before, so I'm not sure how worried/disappointed/upset I should be about the results. But right now I'm not too pleased. In the picture above there is a seam that you can see on the right-hand side of the peninsula and one piece runs the length of the peninsula to the wall. I think the guys cut that piece about an inch or so too short! Now there is a gap of about 13/16" between the peninsula piece and one wall, and about 11/16" on the other. Here's some pictures of the gaps.
Is this normal? I can't believe that it is. We haven't decided on what backsplash to use yet, but if we went with 3/8" tile I'd need some backerboard just to fill that gap and bring the backsplash out even with the back edge of the countertop.

Any thoughts? Am I making too big a deal out of this? I know that there has to be some gap at the wall, but over 3/4" seems like way too much.

Andy - Newark, CA

At about $100 a square foot, you're not making a big deal at all.

Eric Larsen
06-21-2009, 7:22 PM

Andy - Newark, CA

I love working with stone -- my wife and I have gotten good at it. I could totally hide that mistake with decorative marble molding, and visitors would think it was done that way intentionally.

If it were me, I'd kvetch until they offered me a HUGE discount, then I'd take the money, fix the problem (wouldn't cost more than $200 for the stone molding, thinset and grout) and pocket the rest.

I'd use something like this between the granite and the backsplash. It would really give some "pop" to the project. (Whatever color you want, naturally). Only $6/ln.ft.

http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com/product_db/fd/images/S14220717.jpg

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-21-2009, 8:16 PM
I think the guys cut that piece about an inch or so too short! Now there is a gap of about 13/16" between the peninsula piece and one wall, and about 11/16" on the other. Here's some pictures of the gaps.

Unless they were expecting the wall to be faced with granite and the short would be totally covered - unless that - they cut it too shore and no, you should not accept it.

I'd not pay them until they got it right.

Andy Pedler
06-23-2009, 2:22 AM
Thanks again for all the feedback. I've got good news to report. They fixed it and I didn't have to complain too much. The folks in the sales office looked at the photos I brought in, made a call to the installers, and they showed up later and replaced the miscut piece. Counters are all in now and look great.

Thanks!

Andy - Newark, CA

Mark Norman
06-23-2009, 2:30 AM
Thanks again for all the feedback. I've got good news to report. They fixed it and I didn't have to complain too much. The folks in the sales office looked at the photos I brought in, made a call to the installers, and they showed up later and replaced the miscut piece. Counters are all in now and look great.

Thanks!

Andy - Newark, CA

Where's the pics Andy?

Glad they made it right for you and yer happy with the counter.

Jim Rimmer
06-23-2009, 1:38 PM
What's the standard response on SMC? No pics, didn't happen? ;)

Andy Pedler
06-23-2009, 3:46 PM
For the photo police.... :)

ap

Eric Larsen
06-23-2009, 5:19 PM
Good looking kitchen -- nice triangle between the sink, stove and 'fridge. What's going on the other side of the counter?