PDA

View Full Version : There is so many good ideas here

phil harold
06-16-2009, 9:47 PM
Should we have a index or table of contents like they have over in the the Haven of Neanderthal
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103805

My post about my nice rack got me thinking about this

With all the different racks and storage systems of the members here in billions of threads is there a way we can post all the pictures of racks in one thread? and make it a sticky?

There is so many good ideas for lathe tool storage to research before building one,
but the amount of threads to search thru is daunting...
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1157202#post1157202

Index
First Stop
Welcome to the Vortex

Would be a great names for a sticky with links to posts and photos about wood turning topics, such as:

Sharpening
Jigs
Tool racks
Drying...

Mark Norman
06-16-2009, 9:55 PM
I think its a good idea if it was well done and organized.

Ryan Baker
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I think it's a good idea, but being realistic I don't think it is possible. Someone would have to take on the job of creating the threads and continuously moving new material into them. I doubt you could find enough volunteers with enough time to do it. Besides, the search function does a decent job of pulling out such topic threads.

phil harold
06-16-2009, 10:57 PM
I think it's a good idea, but being realistic I don't think it is possible. Someone would have to take on the job of creating the threads and continuously moving new material into them. I doubt you could find enough volunteers with enough time to do it. Besides, the search function does a decent job of pulling out such topic threads.

Ryan you know what is involved,
you could lead the project... ;o)

The search does not work great in my books
I have better luck with googling sawmill creek.
Even there is too much info/threads to digest
to keep some repeated topics together would be nice

sub catgories in the turning forum possible?

Mark Norman
06-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Make Phil a Mod!! He can do it!

Ryan Baker
06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Make Phil a Mod!! He can do it!

There you go. I'll second that. Phil, it was your idea ... so show us how it's done :)

Jeff Nicol
06-17-2009, 7:00 AM
I have been thinking the same thing for a long time. If someone is looking for tool questions and answers they go to the tool section, finishing the finish section, for oppinions and insight go to the mentor page. So if there was a way to create sections with in the Turners forum that would help a lot.

Tools (to include chucks and centers)
Finishing (to include sanding and embellishments)
Mentoring
Lathe choice's and reviews
Techniques
Segmented work
Wood (to include identification and pros and cons of types)
Gallery (Not for critiques just positive or no comment)

I know it could get out of hand but I think the list above covers most of the questions being asked. I think a lot of people could find the answers to thier questions faster to go directly to the area that pertains to thier question at the time. It seems the same questions get asked every week or more on the same exact thing, I know some people like a direct answer to thier question but most could find the information easier if it was categorized. Lots of work but I think it would be worth it, I am not the guy to do it but there are some great minds out there!

Jeff

phil harold
06-18-2009, 7:20 AM
Tools (to include chucks and centers)
Finishing (to include sanding and embellishments)
Mentoring
Lathe choice's and reviews
Techniques
Segmented work
Wood (to include identification and pros and cons of types)
Gallery (Not for critiques just positive or no comment)
Sharpening
Jigs
Tool racks
Drying...

Any more catagories/sugestions?

Rick Flink
06-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Reputable suppliers and their contact information

Rick