PDA

View Full Version : Sargent Plane VBM 409

jay gill
06-16-2009, 8:04 PM
So I find myself right back at square one.

I inherited my grandfather's Sargent 409 VBM, while not in perfect shape, I figured with a cleaning, sharpening, and a base lapping it would be a good user. I didn't notice at first that it was missing the adjuster knob and stud. To solve this I picked up another 409 VBM (<$10) that looked pretty rusted, but great for parts.

After I tossed them both in the bucket of water and citrix acid and a little scrubbing, I found that the rust while heavy was surface rust and hadn't pitted anything, and now I have 2 great looking planes save for the missing adjuster knob and screw. At this point I am once again looking for parts.

Does anyone know if I need to look for specific Sargent parts - adjustment knob and screw/stud or are there any other brands compatible?

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could start looking? I've been watching e bay, but that is mostly complete planes or parts planes seem over priced.

Unless anyone has extra parts they's be willing to part ways with for $ .....

Thanks

Dan Carroll
06-16-2009, 9:47 PM
I have had some luck with sargent parts here

http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/

Don't expect a quick answer and it is better if you can get him on the phone. Names for tool parts are not always consistant.

Jim Koepke
06-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Jay,

Welcome to the Creek.

I am not much into Sargent planes. I do not even know if the adjuster is left or right hand thread.

Do you have a thread gauge? I am not sure, but as I recall, the Stanley/Record adjuster is 9/32 inch at 24 threads per inch but it is a left hand thread. Before around 1890, Stanley did use a right hand thread.

Your profile does not give a location, but there are many of us if we are in the area who would be willing to let you try what we have. I am in Longview, Washington, if you are close let me know.

I do have some spare Stanley adjusters, but they are the later left hand type.

Maybe someone with a Sargent plane could help by lending their knowledge.

jim

Rick Whitehead
06-16-2009, 10:54 PM
I just had to replace a Sargent adjuster nut, and I can tell you that they are NOT the same size as the Stanleys.I happened to have one, but I'm not sure if I have another one. If I do, I'll PM you.
If no one here has one, then all I can say is to continue to do what you have been doing: looking for parts planes. Pretty soon, you'll have any number of planes, all needing parts, and YOU can start providing parts for people.At that point you may or may not have enough parts to complete your original plane. But, you'll have all these planes! DAMHIKT

Rick

jerry nazard
06-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Also, remember that the more spare parts you have, the easier it is to create that most feared of all hand tools: the Frankenplane!

Jim Koepke
06-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Looking around and stumbled on this:

http://www.joesbucketorust.com/planes.htm

He has a Winchester plane for parts, broken lever cap. Says it was made by Sargent price $10. Probably have to pay shipping. But then you will have a spare blade and a few other parts that may come in handy for your next plane.

He also trades for parts, you might send him an email asking if he has the adjuster you need.

good luck,

jim

Gary latture
06-17-2009, 5:19 AM
I have one , but I don't know if it is a 408 ,with a brazed body that is warped. I am at work but will check when I get home.

jay gill
06-17-2009, 5:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your help in pointing me in a what I think what may be the right direction or 2 and Gary for his PM offer.

I think at the very least I may end up with enough pieces for one frankenplane when all my part collecting is said and done.

Dominic Greco
06-17-2009, 7:06 PM
I would give Walt at Brass City Tools (http://www.brasscityrecords.com/12/33.html) a call (203-574-7805). He is really good for finding obscure parts and is very reasonable. He's also a nice guy who is VERY knowledgeable.

jay gill
07-06-2009, 1:37 AM
So now that I finished cleaning up the planes and hunting down parts I figured some pictures would be in order.

1 Before I thought this one would be junk before cleaning it up.

A few after. As you can see my original plane had some pitting on the bottom, but it still works and I gave it the broken tote. I guess I need to decide if I'm going to try to fix it or make a new one.

And finally a few shavings from all the planes.

Again, thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction(s)!