PDA

View Full Version : Don't know why I haven't made pens earlier -- now look at what I've gotten into

Wilbur Pan
06-16-2009, 7:45 PM
A couple of weekends ago I went to a friend's house, where he showed me how to make a pen. Although I first learned how to make a bowl about 2 years back, and made some other types of projects, I hadn't tried making a pen until then.

One Sierra kit, a scrap piece of walnut, and a skew chisel, and this is what I wound up with for my first pen.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_a3R4RhWn1Is/SiwQtexvamI/AAAAAAAAAgU/AWDaQ-f-yfQ/s800/IMG_9315.JPG

So then that gave me an idea for presents for my older boy's kindergarten teacher and the classroom aide. These are pens #2 and #3.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_a3R4RhWn1Is/SjG-0MOIA0I/AAAAAAAAAhE/K5S7ADrzxao/s800/IMG_9335.JPG

Tomorrow I leave to be volunteer doctor at the Hole In The Wall Gang Camp (a camp for kids with cancer and blood diseases) for a week, and I thought I'd bring some gifts for the folks there. I did pens #4 - #10 last night.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_a3R4RhWn1Is/SjcNvDiq-bI/AAAAAAAAAhg/aqSg-ii3Isg/s800/IMG_9629.JPG

I've heard that pen turning was addictive, but this is just nuts.

Steve Schlumpf
06-16-2009, 8:16 PM
Wow - those are some good looking pens! Very nice work! Have fun at camp! I am sure all the pens will be very appreciated!

robert hainstock
06-16-2009, 8:17 PM
I bet they"ll invite you back. Those are good looking pens Wilbur.
Pen turning, Just another branch of the vortex. :D
Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
06-16-2009, 8:40 PM
Nice looking pens Wilbur! There is no bottom to the Vortex.....it just revolves!

Keith Outten
06-16-2009, 8:41 PM
Wilbur,

You are seriously addicted to pen turning, drill ten more pen blanks and call me in the morning :)

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2009, 9:49 PM
Wilbur those are some great looking pens. There is a never ending hole in this here vortex.

Jim Kountz
06-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Yep looks like you are addicted to the pen thing now. I like to never broke myself of it!! Found it difficult to get back to other things.

John W Dixon
06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Wilbur, those look very nice and I'm sure the recipients will be quite pleased! Very interesting wood too. What kind of finish did you end up using on them?

John

Mark Hix
06-17-2009, 7:55 PM
Those are great! I am sure everyone will want one. I really like the top one in the second photo. It looks like an upside down speeding bird....wait, this is not a test is it? I see a......

Great Job! What wood did you use?

Billy Tallant
06-18-2009, 2:22 AM
Great looking pens... I haven't found time to try anything else yet. Stuck in the pen vortex. Your pens will make wonderful gifts at the camp.

Jeff Nicol
06-18-2009, 7:19 AM
Wilbur, I really love the spalted, black and gold combo of the pens! They are very rich looking and will be truly treasured by their new owners! Have fun at camp and bless you for your services to the needy children there at the camp! More pens to come!

Jeff

Wilbur Pan
06-18-2009, 5:11 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

The wood is spalted maple. I've never worked with spalted wood in any form before, but suffice it to say that in making these pens I also got a crash course in how to deal with cracks, tearout, and punky wood. Wood dust and CA glue are my new best friends. ;)

I also learned that taking a pen blank that has some nice spalting and turning it down to find that the spalting was turned away and that all you're left with is some slightly discolored maple kind of sucks. ;)

Pen #1 was done with Mylands friction polish.

Pens #2-3 were done with Liberon turner's polish and Liberon wax stick.

Pens #4-10 were done with Mylands sanding sealer, then Mylands friction polish, then Mylands wax.

Skip Spaulding
06-18-2009, 5:28 PM
I like your choice of wood and the kits. It can get a little expensive giving pens away, especially if you have lots of friends and a large family! Nice work they look great.