PDA

View Full Version : Water/weather proofing for outdoor use...

Joseph Tovar
06-16-2009, 7:34 PM
Hi all,

I was asked about making a small name plate(3"x4") for outdoor use. Most of the materials I've used have gone on plaques that go indoors. Can I use any of the indoor metals and apply some type of coating for protection, or can someone recommend a laserable outdoor material(aluminum/metal/plastic preferred)?

This name plate will go on a back yard deck and get the normal rainy/sunny conditions throughout the year(no snow or anything harsh).

I would like to use something like the painted brass materials provided by rowmark, but I'm not sure if I coated them with something, what the life expectancy would be outside.

Any sugestions??

Thanks!

Jerry Hay
06-16-2009, 8:33 PM
I have used some IPI and rowmark stuff made for indoors on outside signs for my own personal use. I have to say that it has lasted for a few years with no problem in the rain, snow, and sun. I have heard that if you use Alumamark and give it a clear coat automotive finish it will last for a long time. I have made some monuments and headstones with granite when I want it to last way longer than I will live.

Scott Shepherd
06-16-2009, 8:35 PM
Only products made for outdoors like that with a metal finish are Rowmark's Metalgraph or Metalgraph plus line, as far as I am aware (in the plastic line).

Even at that, it's only rated for 5 years or something like that. Some of the Rowmark materials, non-metallic are made for outdoors and will last quite a while. Metallic is going to cause you some loss of life in the plastic line.

Daniel Muller
06-16-2009, 8:52 PM
I have used Alumamark to make name plates that are fastened to the back of seats at a speedway and it holds up great. I am sure if you clear coat it like Jerry mentioned it would be even better.