PDA

View Full Version : What is a router lift?

Louis Brandt
06-16-2009, 7:20 PM
Hello,

I know that to most of you, this must be a very stupid question, but what is a router lift and what does it do? I’m getting ready to buy a router for my factory-built router table.

The router that I’m buying is the Bosch 1617EVSPK, and I’ll have the fixed base permanently mounted in the table.

Do I need a router lift? What is the downside if I don’t have one? What extra process, etc., will I have to do if I don’t have one?

Thanks,
Louis

Jim McFarland
06-16-2009, 7:32 PM
A threaded clamp (search for Bench Dog router lift) or sometimes just a threaded rod (search for Router Raizer) which allows you to raise or lower the router from above the table. Very convenient (especially if difficult to get to router below the table) but not absolutely necessary. In my case, the Router Raizer was more trouble that it was worth but I really like the Bench Dog lift (at considerably more $$$!). Allows me to set bit height very easily and all above the table.

IIRC some routers allow height adjustment above the table out of the box. If you don't have a router like this or a lift, you'll have to adjust the height using the standard methods on your router and do all this below the table plane.

Bottom line: IME lifts save time but are not absolutely necessary.

Chris Tsutsui
06-16-2009, 7:35 PM
A router lift is basically a router base that is mounted in a router table.

They have various features such as you can adjust the depth of the router bit from the top of the table in precise increments.

The basic advantage of the lift is "ease of adjustment".

Though if you don't have the router lift then you just adjust your router from beneath the mounting plate and you can achieve pretty much the same craftsmanship only it might take you a bit longer for the adjustments.

I say you don't NEED one. But if you use your router table a lot and want to add some convenience then get one.

glenn bradley
06-16-2009, 7:48 PM
I use the Woodpecker PRL. As stated, a massive, rock solid, highly accurate router motor elevation control device ;-) Here it is compared to my old Rockler plate.

Wes Grass
06-16-2009, 8:55 PM
The fixed base of the Bosch will let you adjust depth from above the table. But you'll still have to reach underneath to unlock/lock the clamp.

Chris Kennedy
06-16-2009, 9:21 PM
I don't have a lift, but my PC allows me to adjust height above the table. My previous router didn't. I don't have a router lift.

1. Being able to adjust above the table is convenient.

2. Router lifts seem expensive to me, but allow _very_ precise adjustment. If you feel you need that, invest the money.

Honestly, I haven't felt like I needed it yet. On the other hand, if I were to use a good one, I would probably trade five years off my life for it.

Cheers,

Chris

Gary Curtis
06-17-2009, 12:44 AM
If you set your sights on one of about a half dozen routers other than the Bosch, you will save over $200 by not buying a router lift. Just ask for a fixed base router with "above-the-table adjustment".

The company that manufactured my router table also makes router lifts and the president talked me out of a lift. He said in a few years, router lifts would be only a memory because many router manufacturers are incorporating built in adjustments. On top of that, the sheer weight of a router compromises and eventually deforms many router table tops. Add another 8 or 10 pounds with a lift, and you magnify the problem.

Gary Curtis

Phillip Bogle
06-17-2009, 2:13 AM
I have both the Bosch and the Triton. I keep the Triton permanently in the router table. It has a nice feature that lifts the collete above the table and allows for one wrench removal of the bit.

Other than that, the Bosch and Triton both have standard, an attachment that allows your to micro adjust the router up or down from within the router table. I am of the opinion that the fence, hold downs, and the plate that holds the router in the table are of greater importance.

I found that a good planing to get uniform dimensions on my stick was of greater importance than any tool or attachment. My work improved greatly after I bought a planer.

That is my experience based upon my work habits. good luck with you new set up.

Jason White
06-17-2009, 6:31 AM
You won't need a router lift for that router. It has a wrench that allows for adjustments above the table. You might need to drill a small hole in the top of the router table to access it, though.

Jason

Hello,

I know that to most of you, this must be a very stupid question, but what is a router lift and what does it do? I’m getting ready to buy a router for my factory-built router table.

The router that I’m buying is the Bosch 1617EVSPK, and I’ll have the fixed base permanently mounted in the table.

Do I need a router lift? What is the downside if I don’t have one? What extra process, etc., will I have to do if I don’t have one?

Thanks,
Louis

Gary Curtis
06-17-2009, 2:56 PM
Louis, if you go to the Bosch website, you'll find that though the router you want - as is - doesn't come with above-the-table adjusting, a simple accessory enables that feature. You won't need a lift.

It is part# 1165, the "under-table collar and T wrench." Probably costs about $50. And certainly better than $275 for a router lift.

You might wonder if a lift still offers some sort of magic advantage. Other than bragging rights, I can't think of any.

Gary Curtis

Rick Moyer
06-17-2009, 3:18 PM
Having never used a router lift I'm probably not qualified to respond to this; but;), I don't really see much advantage for the $$, or $$$$! I guess if your router table is very low or you can't access the router below the table (my table cabinet has a door on the front) it would be helpful, but for how often I use my table and need to adjust the height of the bits I can't seem to justify the expense. I simply open the door, unlock the router body, and adjust height normally. There are PLENTY of things I'd rather have than a router lift. YMMV.

John Lohmann
06-17-2009, 3:53 PM
The new kits now have the above table adjustment, like previously stated it still needs to be unlocked.From the Bosch website:
Now includes RA1161 Fixed-Base with system for adjusting bit height from above a router table!