PDA

View Full Version : New lathe gloat

Don Farr
08-23-2004, 1:03 PM
All though the weekend was pretty much a bust I did get a ballast shelf added to my new lathe. (Shelf not shown here) Thanks to everyone for their input and help with making my decision. So far I am very impressed with the features and over all operation. The 2HP VS runs as smooth as silk with no vibration. Passes the nickle test with flying colors.
I still need to run conduit to it for the 230 volt supply but basically I'm ready to turn a bowl or something.

Dick Parr
08-23-2004, 1:07 PM
Congratulations Don, that should make ya a pile of chips. :D

Dennis Peacock
08-23-2004, 1:20 PM
Congrats Don..!!!! Nice to see another turner upgrading to a better lathe. The VS really makes a LOT of difference....at least it did for me.!! ;)

Now all you need to do is post a few pics and details about the ballast box. :eek: :p

Don Farr
08-23-2004, 1:26 PM
Congrats Don..!!!! Nice to see another turner upgrading to a better lathe. The VS really makes a LOT of difference....at least it did for me.!! ;)

Now all you need to do is post a few pics and details about the ballast box. :eek: :p

Uhhhhhhh :o I didn't have time YET to build the fancy Dom G. version Dennis. I did what Jet recommended in the manual. Two 2X4s, plywood and sandbags. Not much to look at but quick and functional.

Richard Allen
08-23-2004, 2:10 PM
Hi Don

That is a fine looking lathe. The motor looks like a DC motor. The live center looks a little different than the Oneway live center knock-off that Jet used to put on the lathe.

2 HP is a LOT of power. It sure is nice to have a properly made lathe. I used to have a Record Power lathe. I turned a lot of nice things on that lathe but I always explained that I could have done better if I had a better lathe (;->)

I look forward to admiring the items you will be making on that lathe.

Thanks

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-23-2004, 7:25 PM
Uhhhhhhh :o I didn't have time YET to build the fancy Dom G. version Dennis. I did what Jet recommended in the manual. Two 2X4s, plywood and sandbags. Not much to look at but quick and functional.

Isn't that the 16"? I have the 1442, and I can't imagine needing ballast unless you're turning outboard. Mine is awfully heavy...and I left the plastic feet thingies off the bottom...seems to me it should sit better on more surface?

KC

John Miliunas
08-23-2004, 10:05 PM
A fine looking piece of equipment there, Don! :) The beauty of the finished product will still remain soley in YOUR hands, but it sure is nice to be able to master that skill on a solid machine! Have fun and I too am looking forward to seeing pics of finished products! :) Congrats! :cool:

Jim Becker
08-24-2004, 1:13 AM
Gloat-o-Matic strikes again! Nice tool, Don!!! Congratulaitons.

Don Farr
08-24-2004, 8:31 AM
Thanks everyone. I did forget to mention the model number. It is the 16" model 1642VS. Also it is very heavy but I had everything I needed so I thought what will a little more weight hurt.
Now if I can set up a vacuum chuck system I will be set. I have the pump and gauge. What else do I need?

Tyler Howell
08-24-2004, 8:39 AM
Sorry Don,
Just don't see the point .:confused: Sucks you in, takes all your money.You get beautiful bowls, pens, plates, platters, hours of pleasure and a big pile of wood chips:confused: What's the fascination :p
Nice haul buddy;)

Brad Schmid
08-24-2004, 2:51 PM
Nice score Don. You'll be glad you added the weight too. It will move/vibrate on larger out of balance blanks without it. Waiting patiently on pic's of "output"... ;)

Brad

Dominic Greco
08-25-2004, 7:41 AM
It is the 16" model 1642VS. Also it is very heavy but I had everything I needed so I thought what will a little more weight hurt.
Now if I can set up a vacuum chuck system I will be set. I have the pump and gauge. What else do I need?

Glad to hear you went with the 1642. Ever since I wrote that review back when those lathes first came out, I have gotten a lot of email asking my opinion of the lathe. And after almost 2 years of heavy use, it still works great!

Like I said in the Ballast Box Article, adding weight to this lathe only makes it run smoother (if that is possible). It dampens the vibration so well that I can turn a 16" diameter, 40 lb cherry blank with ease (Just did this last weekend).

As for the vacuum chuck, like you're planning on doing, I made my own. I have spent the better part of a year putting together a very comprehensive article on it's construction. Just haven't had the time to button it up!

One of the best accessories to make for your vacuum pump is a air inlet/filter assembly. I made mine from copper fittings (from an hardware store) and a in line air filter that I bought from McMaster Carr. I'll include a picture of it with this post. I also used quick disconnect fittings at the rotary union (some call it a swivel joint), and at the pump. This makes breaking down at the end of the night a snap. Feel free to email me if you have any questions on this.

Bill Grumbine
08-25-2004, 7:50 AM
Don, congratulations on the new lathe! You have a very nice machine there, as you already know, and it is going to be a pleasure to use. We are all looking forward to seeing some work from it now.

Bill