PDA

View Full Version : Corel shifting the X,Y 0,0 position

Dave Johnson29
06-16-2009, 6:15 PM
Hi All,

I have Corel page setup "Set from printer" and when I position a rectangle onscreen with the bottom left corner (my X=0,Y=0) of the screen 0,0 it looks fine even when enlarged. When I print to the laser the X axis prints a 1/4" to the right of where it should be.

It used to work fine so it is probably something I have inadvertently done but I have no idea what as I have not knowingly changed any of the set up.

I can go into the Pinter setup and reduce the left margin by 0.250" and it will print where it should.

Any suggestion on what I may have accidentally tweaked?

Thanks

Mike Mackenzie
06-16-2009, 6:34 PM
Dave,

When you go to print, and the print screen opens click on the LAYOUT tab and make sure that AS IN DOCUMENT is checked.

This might be the problem.

Shaddy Dedmore
06-16-2009, 6:37 PM
is your page size different from your print size?

Dave Johnson29
06-16-2009, 7:53 PM
@Mike, thanks will check that tomorrow. Time to walk the dog.

@Shaddy, Yes when I Set From Printer it shows the correct 17" x 11" landscape and that's the size of the table swept area.

Thanks guys.

william kaminsky
06-17-2009, 9:34 AM
The fault may lie in one of the drivers (heading into the computer). I have a plotter that uses 36 inch wide roll stock, but subtracts off like 1/4 inch all around the image as a border before it begins plotting. It actually moves the drawing that set amount, and then it goes on. It does not seem to react to a simple dot, so reset the framework to include the dot. The dot is set at 0,0 right now. Your importing may kick over the image and thus as I once did get an error message, or it will shrink the image "to Fit" the allowable area. You then (if using the standard driver) lie to the software at set-up or importation time. It thinks you are an idiot and builds in the safeguards.

Wm.

Dave Johnson29
06-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys,

The frustrating part was this just started happening a few days back. Up until then it was working fine.

This morning I tried everything suggested and a few more of my own subsequent thoughts and still the same.

I removed the print driver, rebooted everything and reinstalled the driver and the problem has gone away again. Just a glitch I guess.

Must have been getting things too easy and the glitch-gods decided it was time. :)

Rob Bosworth
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Dave, did the origin on the table change? After booting up the laser system, push the X-Y button and see where the origin is set. If it is not set at 0.000x and 0.000y, you will get some funny destinations. I am not sure why, but I just got off the phone with a customer who had changed her origin point, then got really different engraving positions. So, if your origin has been changed, re-set it back to 0.000x and 0.000y and see if that helps.

Good luck.

Dave Johnson29
06-17-2009, 12:15 PM
did the origin on the table change? After booting up the laser system

Hi Rob,

Nope checked that yesterday and it was set at 0,0 and also the opposite end was correct too. I have buttons for Home and End. Both were set displaying correctly.

No idea what it was. I guess I will have to periodically reinstall the driver. :D

william kaminsky
06-17-2009, 8:55 PM
As suspected, the problem lied in the driver.

But...

tell me why CorelDraw does a resize (usually to a smaller scale) on my Autocad drawings when imported. I get parts that don't fit now. They are dimensionally too small. Usually a one inch hole then becomes about 31/32 diameter. I ain't about to draw up parts to two different sizes, so that one will fit after CorelDraw gets through with it, and then one of exact size for the plotter.

Wm.

Dave Johnson29
06-18-2009, 4:28 PM
tell me why CorelDraw does a resize (usually to a smaller scale) on my Autocad drawings when imported. I get parts that don't fit now.

Hi William,

I have not been able to get Corel v10 or X4 demo (while it was still working) to do DXF correctly with fastCAD either. I think it is the DXF filter Corel uses.

If I export from Corel in DXF everything changes size when I load it into FastCAD. If I then export to DXF again and suck it back into Corel, it changes yet again to almost double the size I started with.

No idea why it doies what it does to DXF. I have stopped using the DXF option of Corel. I have tried DXF versions 2.25 to R2000 and have had no success.

I have used the FastCAD DXF export/import with a host of other client's programs (TurboCAD, AutoCAD, Inventor etc.) so I know it is not a FastCAD issue.

william kaminsky
06-18-2009, 8:47 PM
CorelDraw will accept directly Autocad drawing without going to some DXF translator. Thus seldom if ever now go to a DXF type of drawing. As I work in DWG format, is simplier for me to stay in that format and modify this a little at a time. The DXF style files are generally 60% larger than a DWG type, and give cruder looking finished products.

But, still cannot figure out as to why Corel changes the size to the files just a few % each.

Wm.