PDA

View Full Version : How much run out?

Walter Plummer
06-16-2009, 5:26 PM
Hello all. I just posted in the deals and discounts forum about my trials with a Barracuda 4 chuck from Penn State. How much run out is considered allowable for a chuck? I know I was buying a knock off but I am a very casual beginning user and for the sale price I thought it would be "good enough". Thanks in advance for any advise.

Don Orr
06-18-2009, 12:43 PM
There are several things to check if your chuck has a lot of runout-meaning more that a couple or 3 thousandths. Make sure the spindle and chuck are clean where they meet. Make sure the insert is clean and properly seated in the chuck body. Check for runout with the jaws closed tightly. If there is visible wobble from the body, you may want to consider exchanging for a new one if possible. A little runout can be common on lower end chucks. It's really not that big of a deal since wood often moves more than the amount of runout. Also remember you get what you pay for in most cases.

Have you checked the amount of runout on the spindle as well ? Checked other attachments-faceplates, drive spurs, etc.? Checked several places on the chuck ?

How are you checking for runout-dial indicator ?

Good luck.

Walter Plummer
06-19-2009, 2:14 PM
Hi Don, thanks for the response. We checked all with a Starrett indicator and the lathe spindle has 0.0015". It is a 70`s vintage green Powermatic 90. Although we did not indicate the 6" faceplate it ran smooth and looked true where as both Barracuda chucks were clearly wobbling. The chuck mounted directly to the 1 1/2"-8 spindle. Was a reason I purchased it in the first place.When I returned the first one they acknowledged run out of 0.022" and sent a replacement body. The second one we measured at 0.042" out. So I quit and asked for a refund. I may even be charged a "restocking fee". I guess that means they plan on selling it to the next guy. So far I am out the original $10.00 shipping and two returns @ $14.00 ea. to end up with no chuck. :confused:

alex carey
06-19-2009, 3:59 PM
Try woodcraft, great service there.