PDA

View Full Version : sump pump project in the shop

James Biddle
06-16-2009, 3:17 PM
Well I finally finished up my sump pump rework. My old one was 10 years old and of some unknown brand the builder stuck in. I decided to add a backup pump at the same time and you know how seemingly small projects take on a life of their own. Anyway, here it is:
the only woodworking part other than moving the table saw to get to the pump
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/sumppump2.jpg
all built up and ready to install
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/sumppump3.jpg
to the left is the primary switch, the big float in the center is the backup switch, the small float is the alarm and is attached to the backup suction line
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/sumppump7.jpg
installed, tested and functioning
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/sumppump8.jpg
another view - like my lexan viewing windows?
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/sumppump9.jpg

Art Mulder
06-16-2009, 4:24 PM
Okay I'm confused.

I grew up in the country with a sump pump in the basement. There was one pipe, for the water being pumped out.

Seems to me that with two pumps, you'll have two pipes. But, I'm counting FOUR pipes in that photo coming through the lid.

Please, edumacate me! :p

James Biddle
06-16-2009, 4:45 PM
The white pipe between the windows is for the primary pump. The smaller black pipe in the center is shielding the backup pump float switch. The larger black pipe at the back is the backup pump suction pipe. The white pipe off by itself is the vent pipe. It's a sealed system to reduce radon gas in the basement so outside makeup air needs to be drawn in when the sump runs.

Tom Godley
06-16-2009, 7:27 PM
Is that a water driven back up pump ??

James Biddle
06-16-2009, 9:03 PM
Is that a water driven back up pump ??

Yep, it's venturi driven like the vacuum pumps many woodworkers use. At normal lifts and pressure, it evacuates two gals of water for every one used.

Art Mulder
06-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Yep, it's venturi driven like the vacuum pumps many woodworkers use. At normal lifts and pressure, it evacuates two gals of water for every one used.

And does the source water exit with the sump water? :confused:

Dan Friedrichs
06-17-2009, 4:26 PM
And does the source water exit with the sump water? :confused:

Yep. That way the backup runs without electricity.

I saw those on TOH once - aren't they kind of pricey?

Looks great! Definitely much improved over anything the builder did.

James Biddle
06-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Yep. That way the backup runs without electricity.

I saw those on TOH once - aren't they kind of pricey?

Looks great! Definitely much improved over anything the builder did.

The backup itself ran me $160, plus all the aother studd I did.

Matt Meiser
06-18-2009, 8:25 AM
That's cheaper than the battery units. I think I paid about $250 for mine, plus a the battery which has to be replaced about every 3-4 years in my experience. We just did replaced ours and got one from a local battery place instead of buying the Basement Watchdog one and still paid $100 instead of $150. Of course you'll be paying for a gallon of water for every 1 you remove from your basement which could add up.

I assume the alarm tells you the backup kicked in? I've had numerous switch failures--knowing that the backup kicked on is important to knowing that you've got a problem. Except for the pumps I bought last year that failed ON. But that's easier to detect. "What's that sound coming from the basement?..."

Also, if you have a security system, you can put a float switch in that connects to that so you'll get an alarm (ours just beeps on the keypad, no sirens) and a phone call on failure. I have our float set so that it only alarms should the primary and backup both fail. Don't use the moisture detection switches in a sump. We were getting false alarms because of the humidity in the sump. The water would condense on the sensor and eventually set it off.

Rob Cunningham
06-18-2009, 9:20 AM
Where did you get the venturi pump ? I could use a back up pump and that sounds like a good idea.

Dan Friedrichs
06-18-2009, 9:55 AM
The backup itself ran me $160, plus all the aother studd I did.

That's not bad, actually! The one I saw on ATOH they said was like $500 or something.

That's a really good solution, then - no batteries or anything to worry about.

James Biddle
06-18-2009, 1:47 PM
I assume the alarm tells you the backup kicked in? I've had numerous switch failures--knowing that the backup kicked on is important to knowing that you've got a problem. Except for the pumps I bought last year that failed ON. But that's easier to detect. "What's that sound coming from the basement?..."

My float-actuated alarm is set to turn on between the primary and backup pump. That tells me the primary failed and to make sure the backup engages (and hopefully enough time to react if it doesn't).

James Biddle
06-18-2009, 1:49 PM
Where did you get the venturi pump ? I could use a back up pump and that sounds like a good idea.
Mine is a Zoeller Homeguard Max #503 that I bought online from Ira Wood & Son.