PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments........

Dennis Peacock
08-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. I didn't get any real shop time this weekend due to working my new schedule at work.

My work hours are 14:00 hours to 00:00 hours, Wed thru Sat. Yup, 4 day work weeks, 10 hour days.....but hey.....I was working longer hours than that BEFORE I went to 10 hour days and 4 days a week. :eek:

Can anyone say.....More Free Time.!!!!! :D

I'm still working on that sewing machine cabinet refinishing job. I've got to order some shellac from Homestead Finishing today. BTW, If you haven't gotten Jewitt's latest book on finishing? You have GOT to have this book!!!

So what did you do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all....

Dennis Peacock
08-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Forgot to mention the title of Jeff's newest book:

<b>Taunton's COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED Guide to <i>Finishing</i></b>

NAJASC.........

John Miliunas
08-23-2004, 11:56 AM
I don't know who coined the phrase, "Working for the weekend" does NOT apply to yours truly! It's been more like, "Working ALL the weekend"! :mad: Not at the J-O-B, but at home. Worked on making the deck frame more solid all of Saturday, then Sunday it was rip down a bunch of salvaged 2x8 green-treat to 2x6 and give them all a bevel on one edge. Cut the rest of the grass and paint four intricate sections of railing. Didn't even get close to starting on my clamp racks! :( I *need* a vacation! :) Hope everyone has a great week! :cool:

Dick Parr
08-23-2004, 12:05 PM
I did a little wood gathering with some friends this weekend and yesterday spent cutting and waxing my share. Now I just have to find a place to store it. :D

Jim Becker
08-23-2004, 12:23 PM
An eclectic weekend here...while we were "out" shopping on Saturday mid-day a nasty storm must have passed through our neighborhood as there were more branches on the ground than we had from the entire winter. Since it was too wet on Satuday to mow from that storm, I spent some time in the shop finishing up the doors for a bookcase in the kitchen. Due to a little "extra careful" measuring, I had to add a little width to the frames for these glass-front doors. Fortunately, the joint was easy to hide with a little bead detail that will look just fine on this cabinet. I got them sanded and did the final routing of the recess for the glass (to remove the back side of the slot left by my rail and stile cutters) and sprayed on the finish Sunday afternoon. Speaking of which, Sunday, I got a late start...just was extra tired for some reason...and after playing "pick up sticks" (more like pick up major branches), I mowed the lawn and got into the shop. 'Spent a little spinny time working on a nice comtemporary box simlar to some designs that Pam Reilly has been getting known by...it's not finished yet, so you'll have to wait until next weekend for the obligatory pictures. DVD of the week was Moulan Rougé...quirky and entertaining film with a really interesting sound track.

Have a safe week, folks!

Andy London
08-23-2004, 12:28 PM
This seemed to be one of those weekends with great intentions but little fruit for my labor...all started Saturday breaking off a valve on my wood splitter...four hours later and two trips to the city that was fixed, then not one of my three chain saws would start although I have been using two of them recently, ordered a carb kit for both which will take a week, spent Sunday morning installed a riser on the BS, that had been sitting in the shop for months, was ready to start woodworking when a buddy stopped by I haven't seen in a very long time....wanted to paint some trim Sunday afternoon as the weather was perfect only to discover someone borrowed my 40' ladder...decided I would be productive and turn a couple of bowls however my son forgot to tell me he broke the drive belt on the lathe....decided I would just sit on the deck and have a beer or two.....remember I forgot to buy some and you can't buy beer here on Sunday's....rented a movie called Snow Walker, that I am proud to say went off without a hitch :rolleyes: .....A must see IMO.

That's about all she wrote<G>

Andy

Mark J Bachler
08-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Played guitar all weekend on Madeline Island at Toms Burned Down Cafe with the Sun Mountain Fiddler. I'm to old to do 4 gigs in 3 days with after hour parties. My ouch hurts.

Dennis Peacock
08-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Not at the J-O-B, but at home.

John,

Don't you know what that means? <B>J</b>ust <B>O</b>ver <B>B</b>roke!!!! :eek:

Ever feel that way? ;)

Dennis Peacock
08-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Played guitar all weekend on Madeline Island at Toms Burned Down Cafe with the Sun Mountain Fiddler. I'm to old to do 4 gigs in 3 days with after hour parties. My ouch hurts.

I would have loved to been there and played along with my bass guitar!!!

John Miliunas
08-23-2004, 12:43 PM
John,

Don't you know what that means? <B>J</b>ust <B>O</b>ver <B>B</b>roke!!!! :eek:

Ever feel that way? ;)

Lately, my life revolves around that definition! :( :cool:

keith zimmerman
08-23-2004, 1:38 PM
I am trying to recover from a sore body due to spending all day Saturday stripping a roof of 10 layer of shingles, and then Sunday applying plywood sheathing and felt paper. All of this is direct sun and 80+ degree heat.

The rest of the weekend was spent trying to recover so I could go to work on Monday.

keithz

Dan Mages
08-23-2004, 3:18 PM
I have three walls ready for installation on my shed/cabin project. I dont know when I will get a chance to get them up tho...

Dan

Tyler Howell
08-23-2004, 4:11 PM
Nice Haul Dick. Can't wait to see the finished product.:cool:

Mark, Great place to hang. Killed many a brain cell there.:rolleyes:

I on the other hand watched mile after mile tick off on my odometer with everyone else in the world. Did my round trip to Philadelphia and back,taking breaks for fuel and fluid level adjustment. Bumper to bumper from Chicago to Eau Clair, WI. Only good thing was it was moving at 70 miles per. Delivered my precious cargo and returned safe, without incident.
The great thing was that I returned home to Xmas in Summer. See "Tool Snob Section" for details.:D :D ;)

Steve King
08-23-2004, 7:49 PM
I was busy this weekend building a fence that would keep our dogs (two schnauzers) out of the pool area and also keep them fenced in when we have friends over for pool parties. I installed a doggie door years ago but found that is was a real PITA keeping the dogs where you want them to stay :( I built the fence using western red cedar. The one fence that is hinged to the south side yard fence can swing and latch to the brick column. The other fence can be used on the back of the porch to keep the dogs from going into the pool area.
Fence for back of Porch (http://sekingusa.home.comcast.net/dogfence/GIF24.gif)
That same fence can be lifted off the round "L" hinge pins and installed on the side of the porch to keep the dogs fenced into the side yard.
Fence for side of Porch (http://sekingusa.home.comcast.net/dogfence/sideGIF3D.gif)
I installed L hinge pins into the brick using expansion cement called “Rockite” that stuff really works great. I still need to get some hangers so I can mount the other fence to the yard fence when not in use.

Steve

Ray Thompson
08-23-2004, 9:43 PM
I started cleaning a fence row and had an old cherry stump that I had moved there with a bulldozer some time ago. Since it was to big for my little mule I got out the power washer to knock off some dirt so I could put it on the burn pile. Well one thing led to another and I blew off all the dirt, then got out the chain saw and began whittling on it. Gave the little 16" saw a workout but I did end up with 4 blanks for this winter. Ray

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Saturday I rented a ditching machine and ditched the backyard to redo my sprinkler system. Sunday, I watched it rain all day and turn my backyard into a quagmire that would make those SMCers from Lousiana proud! I should have known it would rain....while I was ditching my neighbor waxed both his car and his truck!

Jim Becker
08-24-2004, 1:00 AM
Played guitar all weekend on Madeline Island at Toms Burned Down Cafe with the Sun Mountain Fiddler.

...and I would have been happy to provide the keys...

Vince Sandy
08-24-2004, 9:00 AM
I made a new handle for an old handsaw. I've posted pictures and a brief description, but you'll have to wander over to the dark side to see the post. Just be careful if you go over there, I've heard of some creekers falling victim to the slippery slope. I don't know how to make a direct link to take you there, but the thread title is "Disston No. 12 with new handle (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11464)(pics)".

Vince

Being the efficient moderator I am I inserted the link for ya :) K.S.

Tyler Howell
08-24-2004, 9:18 AM
You should really see this place Mark is talking about.:eek: See if I can find some Pix. Its an old bar that burned down years ago and they have just put up canvas and tarps. Had the pleasure to strum a tune or two there myself. We used it for the HQ of a couple of "End of Season sailing events. Good times.:D ;)

[/size]

...and I would have been happy to provide the keys...

Ken Salisbury
08-24-2004, 9:38 AM
You should really see this place Mark is talking about.:eek: See if I can find some Pix. Its an old bar that burned down years ago and they have just put up canvas and tarps.

Here ya go Tyler:

John Miliunas
08-24-2004, 9:42 AM
Keeeeee-ripes! Must be a bear to heat in the Winter! :eek: :cool:

Mark J Bachler
08-24-2004, 9:49 AM

You'd of had fun for sure Dennis. At one time around the after hour campfire we had 4 guitar players, 2 fiddle players, a banjo player, a mandolin player, 2 upright bass players & a flute. Everyone else was beating on buckets, tamborines or anything else that makes a noise when you hit it. Sunrise over Lake Superior was awesome.

Scott Coffelt
08-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Saturday started off pretty crappy. My 4 1/2 YO son came into our room saying the cat wouldn't wake up. We freaked out and found her laying in an eternal sleep on his bed, all curled up. Must have died in her sleep. We lost her sister a 1 1/2 ago to cancer, family was pretty upset all day. So morning was spent trying to take care of that situation. Just 9 years young.

Clothes shopping for my son the rest of the day and some other to do's.

Sunday, spent relaxing except for the soon to be posted gloat. Signed a contract on 2 acres, all treed with a slow running creek through half of it. In the heart of the cuty so full utilities and high speed data. I planned to post pics, but we have had one hell of a rain storm for the last two days. If it dries out some tomorrow, I'll post an official gloat with pics. I see a new shop in the future.... (real part of the gloat, 300 sqft ain't cutting it for my furniture business).

Extended weekend yesterday, tried to get in a full round of golf with Jack Diemer, but only managed 16 holes with the last 4-5 in a complete rush to miss the ensuing storms.

Vince Sandy
08-24-2004, 3:51 PM
Ken,

You are too much man! :) Thanks for inserting the link to my post on the dark side. Now that's service.

Vince

Tyler Howell
08-24-2004, 5:56 PM
Here ya go Tyler:
We Really get great service here at the Creek! Ken Have you been up this way???
John this is WI, I've even been there a half dozen times.;)

John Miliunas
08-24-2004, 11:30 PM
[b][i][color=navy]John this is WI, I've even been there a half dozen times.;)

Yeah, I know BUT, if I don't stay busy and use my "free" time to keep working on THIS place, *I'll* be needing canvas and tarps! :rolleyes: Sure do look like fun, though! :cool: