PDA

View Full Version : Appreciate advice on this logo

Dave Lock
06-16-2009, 1:46 PM
Hi all,

I have 4 acrylic awards to make for the local Air Training Corp. Hopefully this could lead to bigger orders.
They have supplied me with this logo (attached zipped 300dpi .bmp) which was embedded into a word document.

I was wondering how you guys would develop the logo into a suitable image for rastering.

I would prefer to convert in to a vector. I have tried converting it to B&W and using CorelTrace but the results are not very impressive, although I am a relative newbie at this.

http://lincs-hft-club.co.uk/forum/uploads/IMG2-1245174393.jpg

I was also considering having a go at totally recreating the logo. It wouldn't be a very cost effective soulution for this order but if it leads to more it would be worth investing the time on the job.

Can you suggest any other methods to convert the image to vector?

Advice very welcome.

Regards

Dave

Amanda Shughart
06-16-2009, 2:13 PM
Not being familiar with Corel or Corel Trace, I would probably just re-create it for your own purposes. I've found that when I'm given a logo in a file I don't prefer I waste more time trying to figure out the "Easy" way to do it than if I would have just redrawn the thing myself. Usually the easy way does not look as nice either IE: You do a trace and it picks up all the little white pixels around it so your lines arn't smooth.

After redrawing a fair amout of logos you get pretty good at it and learn where you can cut corners, and on top of that its layed out the way you want, fully editable, and if its vector you can copy and resize or change it for multiple applications.

Andrea Weissenseel
06-16-2009, 2:19 PM
Dave if you just want to raster it, why not convert it to grayscale ?

Dave Russell Smith
06-16-2009, 2:37 PM
Hi all,

I have 4 acrylic awards to make for the local Air Training Corp. Hopefully this could lead to bigger orders.
They have supplied me with this logo (attached zipped 300dpi .bmp) which was embedded into a word document.

I was wondering how you guys would develop the logo into a suitable image for rastering.

I would prefer to convert in to a vector. I have tried converting it to B&W and using CorelTrace but the results are not very impressive, although I am a relative newbie at this.

http://lincs-hft-club.co.uk/forum/uploads/IMG2-1245174393.jpg

I was also considering having a go at totally recreating the logo. It wouldn't be a very cost effective soulution for this order but if it leads to more it would be worth investing the time on the job.

Can you suggest any other methods to convert the image to vector?

Advice very welcome.

Regards

Dave

Here you go Dave, as a former ATC member as a lad (Long time ago) ;)

Dave Lock
06-16-2009, 2:58 PM
Not being familiar with Corel or Corel Trace, I would probably just re-create it for your own purposes. I've found that when I'm given a logo in a file I don't prefer I waste more time trying to figure out the "Easy" way to do it than if I would have just redrawn the thing myself. Usually the easy way does not look as nice either IE: You do a trace and it picks up all the little white pixels around it so your lines arn't smooth.

After redrawing a fair amout of logos you get pretty good at it and learn where you can cut corners, and on top of that its layed out the way you want, fully editable, and if its vector you can copy and resize or change it for multiple applications.

Hi Amanda,
You have a good point. Re-drawing altogether would help develop my CorelDraw skills........ and I do need the practice. I agree, the easy way is not always the quickest way. Thanks for your comments.

Dave if you just want to raster it, why not convert it to grayscale ?

Hi Andrea,
The grey scale output looks pretty good. Unfortunately, I only have a Chinese made Laser and it can't handle grey scale. I really look forward to the day I can afford/justify a nice Epilog. Unfortunately, they are a nice price here in the UK. But it is my longer term goal.

Here you go Dave, as a former ATC member as a lad (Long time ago) ;)

Hi Dave,
That was quick. Really appreciated. Do you have a secret coversion tool for that? It is very crisp.

I'll give it a try, but I think I need to hone my skills. Now I have something to aspire to.

Many thanks to all

Regards

Dave.

Doug Griffith
06-16-2009, 3:47 PM
At least it's symetrical. All you really have to recreate is half a crown, half a scroll, and half the bird. Then mirror everything and finish up. The text looks something like Trajan.

Dave Lock
06-16-2009, 3:55 PM
At least it's symetrical. All you really have to recreate is half a crown, half a scroll, and half the bird. Then mirror everything and finish up. The text looks something like Trajan.

Great Idea Doug, I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Dave

Dave Russell Smith
06-16-2009, 7:11 PM
Great Idea Doug, I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Dave

Was not sure if you wanted Black and white but here it is