PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tree is this?

Brian Effinger
06-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi,

My neighbor is having a small addition put on her house, and when the concrete guys were there digging for the foundation, they up-rooted a tree that had died this spring. It was kind of strange that it had died, because it started to bud, and then nothing. Anyway, I asked if I could take the logs and she said OK. She wasn't sure what kind of tree it was though - a european something-or-another. I took a picture of another one, as well as some leaves in hopes that someone knows what it might be. It is not a large tree, and it is very well shaped without any intervention, so I think it is something ornamental.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Rusty Smith
06-16-2009, 2:09 PM
My first thought, based on the shape, was Bradford Pear but the leaves, I don't think, are those of a Bradford Pear.

Must be the infamous Dunno tree.

Don Orr
06-16-2009, 2:10 PM
Possibly European Alder.

Jim Underwood
06-16-2009, 3:28 PM
My guess would have been Alder from the leaves. Does it have anything looking like miniature pine cones? (residual from last year?)

Jeff Nicol
06-16-2009, 3:51 PM
Looks like alder to me also by the leaves. We have tons of them planted on the boulevards here also. It is pretty nice wood to turn, has a darker heartwood and pretty tight grain.

Jeff

Brian Effinger
06-16-2009, 5:18 PM
My guess would have been Alder from the leaves. Does it have anything looking like miniature pine cones? (residual from last year?)

Looks like alder to me also by the leaves. We have tons of them planted on the boulevards here also. It is pretty nice wood to turn, has a darker heartwood and pretty tight grain.

Jeff

I don't remember it having any pine cone things or any flowers at all. The wood is very light in color, and it didn't look tight grained to me (but what do I know?). I took a few pictures of the logs that were cut yesterday. Unfortunately I have already anchor sealed them, but maybe they'll be useful. Oh, and toward the roots and near the spot where all of the branches started, there were some small dark spots at the center of the log.

Brian

Paul Gallian
06-16-2009, 9:43 PM
Notice the uneven leaf base. i.e. the base of the leave does not connect to the petiole at the same point... This is a key characteristic of the Ulmaceae - the Elm Family.

Bernie Weishapl
06-16-2009, 9:47 PM
I am also thinking some kind of Elm.

Reed Gray
06-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, the bark doesn't look very elm like to me. Does it have the tell tale (tail) cat pee smell? Seeds are small pea to dime sized, oval shaped propellers (for elm that is) with the seed in the center.
robo hippy

Jim Rimmer
06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
My first thought, based on the shape, was Bradford Pear but the leaves, I don't think, are those of a Bradford Pear.

Must be the infamous Dunno tree.

I agree - it looked like a B. pear but the leaves look like elm. Could be a Bradford Elm :p. My son always tells me that when I don't really know I tell him its Hackberry.

Ted Calver
06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Looks like Carpinus betulus Fastigiata to me. European Hornbeam. I know the latin suggests it fastigiate (skinney), but this species grows fat and is used as a street tree in many places.

Paul Gallian
06-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Ted has nailed it... Carpinus betulus "Fastigiata!"

Brian Effinger
06-17-2009, 2:21 PM
I think Ted did nail it. I just googled it, and I came up with a lot of different sites that confirm it. http://greenspade.com/2006/05/european-hornbeam-carpinus-betulus/

Thanks Ted. I don't know what you win for getting it, other than my eternal gratitude :D.

Thanks guys for all of the help. :)

Larry Browning
06-17-2009, 2:31 PM
To me it looks like a fruitless mulberry. At least that what I call them. It might have a different name in your neck of the woods.

Keith Christopher
06-19-2009, 12:17 AM
I am thinking american beech.

phil harold
06-19-2009, 7:48 AM
leaves are like elm / hornbeam / beech
bark is hornbeam
shape is hornbeam

hornbeam