PDA

View Full Version : Layer management in NewlyDraw

Leon Shreves
06-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I have gotten a lot of great information from this forum with regards to using NewlyDraw. Thanks to all!

I have a very tenuous grasp on layers, colors, and selections within NewlyDraw. So I guess I'd like to see if someone would care to answer a few questions.

1) Can you have many layers defined within a single newlyDraw file?

2) How does one assign an object to a layer?

3) Can you select a layer from a pull down menu or something?

4) Does the color of layer signify anything other than how it is displayed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Leon

Zachery Thomas
06-16-2009, 1:15 PM
Leon,

I am only aware of 2 preset layers being available, either 'cut' or 'no cut' which appear as red and grey respectively.

Click on the layer tool, select the object and change the drop down.

I haven't tried typing in a layer name, so maybe that is possible. I'll have to give it a try.

Zax.

Leon Shreves
06-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Good morning,

Ok, there are really only two layers in Newly draw. Thanks for the clarification.

If I group objects together in CorelDraw and color them red, will ND mark that as a cut layer? Conversely, if a layer is colored gray in CorelDraw will ND automatically place it on the no draw layer?

I am trying to pull together a workflow that will allow drawings with several groups of layers (Cut, engrave, registration, etc.) be manipulated from within ND gracefully. I am guessing that separate files with the separate objects might be a reasonable solution as long as there are registration marks to ensure correct positioning.

I guess my basic problem is that I find the selction mechnaism of ND difficult to use with any kind of precision.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for asking questions about something I might determine by experimentation, but I always come up with these questions while I am at my day job. Also, I suspect that the experts here have come up with good solutions to most problems.

Thanks in advance,
Leon