PDA

View Full Version : slight insect problem, please help

curtis rosche
06-16-2009, 12:26 PM
well, after i got that wood sealer stuff i have started diggin out peice of wood around the house that are in need of some sealer before they split. well i took out some maple that had been on a pallet and under some leaves and guess what i found in the wood? yes some terimites and ant thingys. but there was a nickel sized hole in the center of the one peice, and inside the hole was SNAILS!:eek::eek: what do i do with it? its kinda a burl peice, so how do i get the snails out? fire, drill, salt. any ideas?

Chip Sutherland
06-16-2009, 1:11 PM
I've heard snails are attracted to beer. Pour a little in a saucer near the hole. Sit down an drink the rest yourself.

Other than than, I just gouge the worms out of my mesquite....at about 1000rpm :eek:....and a faceshield.:D

Chris Stolicky
06-16-2009, 1:27 PM
I know that back when I had an aquarium I would occasionally get snails. I would get some fresh scallion (long green onion thingys) and put them in the top of the tank. The snails would be attracted to the scallions, so that is how I would catch them.

I'm not sure if it would work with the these snails, but it is certainly cheap enough if you have little bit of time. Hey, and if you like the smell of onions, they double as an air freshener!

Otherwise, they wouldn't stand a chance spinning at several hundred rpms...

Dan Forman
06-16-2009, 2:03 PM
Looks like you should be able to pull the little guy out with a pair of tweezers, then just put him back where he was - he was just doing his job. Ma nature,s clean up crew seldom gets much respect, but they are important.

Dan

Paul Atkins
06-16-2009, 3:19 PM
Mount it on the lathe and turn it on! (And stand out of the way.)

curtis rosche
06-16-2009, 5:08 PM
i cant just mount it on the lathe like that. i drill a 2 1/2'' hole for my chuck to hold on to and they are right where the hole will be. that would be to cruel to do