PDA

View Full Version : CNC Inlayed Flooring - YouTube Video

Keith Outten
06-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Amazing CNC work, floors I would never walk on :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz35OzihTdA&NR=1

Chris Foley
06-17-2009, 2:05 AM
What can I say other than WOW!

David Harvey
06-26-2009, 7:46 AM
Amazing stuff!

What I can't figure out is how they get around the router bit radius. They have a lot of pointed parts that fit into adjoining parts. How do they cut that point in the adjoining part and not have a tool bit radius in the point? I don't see any seams at that point either that would indicate the adjoining part was made from 2 pieces to get the sharp point. Puzzeling.....

Joel Blauvelt
06-29-2009, 6:28 PM
I believe you could use a very steep v-bit to cut the sharp interior corners. As you approach the corner you lift the bit thereby reducing the cutting diameter.

Gary Hair
06-30-2009, 1:38 AM
I believe you could use a very steep v-bit to cut the sharp interior corners. As you approach the corner you lift the bit thereby reducing the cutting diameter.

I've done a few inlays that way, mostly just practice stuff waiting for a real project. It is a very cool technique - you route the inlay inverted and glue it into the pocket. There is no visible radius and the lines are truly square, at least as square as you can possibly see with the naked eye.

Gary

Jim Kountz
06-30-2009, 7:24 AM
Amazing work, my little DIY CNC I have planned would be hard pressed to do that!!

David Harvey
06-30-2009, 9:14 AM
Gary, you know...I hadn't even thought of that. I bet that would work.

Thanks for the tip!

( darn...something else to add to the play list now :D )