PDA

View Full Version : 3D Engraving on a Artcut M40?

Leon Shreves
06-16-2009, 11:56 AM
I am still a newbie with all this, so please pardon a dumb question.

I presume that since there is no software controlled power control on the M40 that there is only 1 bit resolution on the images engraved even if an 8bit image is imported. Right?

I guess one could make a separation for each bit in an 8 bit grey scale and make multiple engraving passes with increasing power on each pass.

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks in advance,
Leon

Dave Johnson29
06-16-2009, 12:12 PM
I guess one could make a separation for each bit in an 8 bit grey scale and make multiple engraving passes with increasing power on each pass.

Has anybody tried this?

Hi Leo,

I did something similar as my laser is an older one and does not have power adjustments on the fly. I created the pic in 8-bit grayscale then converted the 6 gray shades (excl black and white) to different colors. I then used the colors to define the speed.

It turned out OK. I was going to write a small program for the color conversion but never got around to it as I don't see 3D stuff as good money earner.

Result was not too bad but without a color conversion program it is a bit labor intensive setting it all up.

Leon Shreves
06-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks Dave. It seems like a technique worth exploring. I've done this sort of thing with photographs and other additive printmaking processes.

I would think that you could convert the image once and then vary the speed and power values for the each pass to tune the results to the material color and hardness.

Cheers,
Leon

Dave Johnson29
06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
I would think that you could convert the image once and then vary the speed and power values for the each pass to tune the results to the material color and hardness.

The darker the shade of gray the slower I set that color speed. I set it in even multiples of 5-in/min. I guess I could have tweaked it more but got bored with it. :)

Leon Shreves
06-16-2009, 12:37 PM
In theory, each progressive pass should have double the power as the previous one. At least that's the way it works in computer graphics.

Doubling the power on each successive exposure is an academic ideal. In reality, the values would vary based on the technology and materials used. Think of the variances as a "correction curve" to get the output to look the way you want it to.

This sounds pretty cool. I need to get a lot smarter about using NewlyDraw. I have to find a way to assign images to layers and then select just one layer color at a time.

- Leon

Dan Hintz
06-16-2009, 1:46 PM
Another possible method is:
1) Choose a speed and power level that will take a slice of material off
2) For every pixel darker than level 'X', engage the laser
3) Increase the level 'X' by some set amount
4) If level 'X' is still above pure black, go back to step 2.

In essence, you hit the lightest pixels once, and the darkest pixels multiple times. It's not fast, but it should get the job done. You may have to adjust the level change for each material, but in essence it will work.