PDA

View Full Version : Cutter for Cabinet Door Edge

denis tuomey
06-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Im doing a remodeling project in my daughters kitchen, adding in some cabinets, and want to make the new cabinet doors match the current ones. I have searched the net for a cutter to match the pattern on the edge of the door, this pattern is a very commom design seen on numerous cabinet doors yet I cannot find this design anywhere. Its a little hard to explain but Ill give it a shot. Its a Finger pull edge that has 2 curved steps up to the surface of the door, hope that makes sense. Was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a cutter like this?????:confused:

Quinn McCarthy
06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Are you looking for a router bit or shaper cutter?

Eagle carbide has a ton of router bits.

Freeborn makes a bunch of door edge shaper cutters. Freeborn can also custom make a shaper cutter.

There are also places that make cuton router bits.

Try to get a picture of what the edge looks like.

Quinn

Joe Jensen
06-16-2009, 12:25 PM
It's nearly certain the manufacturer used a shaper to make that cut. Freeborn has many door edge profiles. I haven't used a router for that cut so I can't comment on router bit choices.

Ryan Baker
06-16-2009, 10:00 PM
I got a door edge bit from Rockler, but I can't tell whether it matches the profile you are looking for or not. It matches mine perfectly ... and MANY others I have seen.

Chip Lindley
06-17-2009, 1:24 AM
Denis, without a pix of your particular door, we will all guess close but probably miss your exact door edge profile. Much depends on whom made your daughter's cabinets originally.

Custom cabinet shops usually use commercially available cutters such as Freeborn, Freud, LRH, or Stehl, etc. Prefab cabs from *Big Box* stores always have a slightly different profile to door edges and raised panels. If the cabs are quite old, the profile could have well been from high speed steel knives ground to the builder's own specification.

If you cannot find a match among the major brands of shaper cutter suppliers as mentioned, you can always accurately trace the profile and have HSS knives custom ground by Wisconsin Knife Works or others. For an exact match on older cabinets, this may be your best choice! Good Luck!

denis tuomey
06-17-2009, 9:01 AM
Just want to say "Thanks" for the input from all of you, I did fine a shaper cutter at Freeborn that was very close to the profile I needed, but since it wasnt exact and very $$, did more hunting and came up with a 1/4" and 3/8" Double Flute router bit I can use in my shaper. Although it will take 2 passes on each edge, plus a pass on the jointer, it looks like I can get a pretty good match to the existing doors. Thanks again