PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Education

Gene Howe
06-16-2009, 9:30 AM
Before retiring several years ago I worked as an educational consultant. In that capacity, I had the opportunity to visit numerous school systems throughout the Southwest. Although my job had nothing to do with wood tech. curriculum, I always managed to be able to spend some time in those classes. Most were taught by dedicated and knowledgeable teachers. However, in talking to these guys and inspecting their equipment, it seemed apparent that these men had little support from their school boards. Yet, the classes were full of students eager to learn the craft. Most of the teachers were of the opinion that when they retired the classes would no longer be offered. It seems that not enough universities were offering degrees in that area of education. No degrees equals no teachers equals no classes. School boards realize this and, money being tight, they fund other classes. It's shortsighted IMO but, it makes good sense from their standpoint.

On the other hand, there are a few excellent programs that remain vibrant, with good financial support. These programs all offered CAD/CAM, metal fabrication, HVAC, auto, machine shop, and woodworking. Those school systems actively recruit from the few universities that continue to offer the requisite degrees. These school systems have made very heavy investments, as you can imagine. At least one of the teachers I met has procured numerous grants from private sources. He said to me that it was just a matter of self preservation and job security. However, his students' enthusiasm and outstanding product belie his comments. He is one great teacher.

The point of this ramble is to hopefully spark a discussion and, maybe some action by folks to heighten awareness of the need for academic instruction in the various trades. America needs it tradesmen, now more than ever. I truly believe that we have an obligation to our kids to provide them with the opportunity to create with their hands and hearts as well as with their heads.

To borrow a line from a TV talking head "What say you?"

Gene

P.S. I'll be posting this in other forums, too.

Orion Henderson
06-16-2009, 9:54 AM
There are several good higher education options-but they are few and far between. I am sure that any of the following could use help from the woodworking community.

Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology has a great woodworking program in eastern PA. They are a public college whose mission is to provide training to those in need. I provide their woodworking program with free hardware.

North Bennett Street School-needs no introduction.

Berea College in Kentucky has excellent prgrams in traditional crafts.

Univeristy of Rio Grande (Ohio) has an excellent woodworking program as well, within a traditional 4 year college setting.

I am sure there a more, but these are 4 that I have had experience with. The people coming out of these programs are very skilled and dedicated to the craft.

Gene Howe
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your interest and reply.
I applaud your generosity and foresight!
Do any of the programs prepare students to teach in the public schools?
I feel that the need is at both ends of the educational spectrum. My focus is on the public systems as "the earlier we get 'em the better".

Gene

Orion Henderson
06-24-2009, 11:40 AM
The ones I am involved with don't specifically prepare students to teach-as far as I know. The colleges are more focus on teaching woodworking as a profession. I am sure some, if not many, do go on to be teachers. The public schools are a little different. I don't think they are involved with preparing to teach either. They are definitely training the trade, but as much as that they are also simply getting kids involved in the process of creating-design-handwork-planning, etc. I have to think that the high school programs are doing a great job at that. These teachers are getting 15-17 year old kids involved with making incredibly involved pieces of furniture. The kids are working in the shops Saturdays, vacations, etc. They are planning things-which is rare in schools today, and then actually following through. Whether these kids go on to be pros or not is secondary IMHO-they are getting prepared for the world in ways a standardized test never will. You can see some of the projects they create here:

http://www.horton-brasses.com/resources/projects?horton=facak9ooertqha81uefo9tfgt7

Jim Becker
06-24-2009, 3:30 PM
I was very pleased to see that the middle school my older daughter will be in this fall has an excellent wood shop available to students. But these are few and far between these days...

Craig D Peltier
06-24-2009, 7:49 PM
I took 4 years of carpentry in HS.
Curriculum was Two weeks class ( double englishes and double shop classes a day) , then two weeks shop.

Freshman year - Hand tools only ; joinery mostly.
Sophmore - Furniture , Cabinets
Junior- Furniture , Sheds
Senior - Furniture an we built a house that the school bought the land for. Each shop got in on it, plumbing, electrical and us. Foundation was sourced out. Since then they have built many more.

This school is still going strong. Its obviously a vocational HS.

They had some sweet tools, I wasnt into it much back then but I do remember a 30" planer.
When I picked it back up 12 yrs later or so, tools werent foreign to me which made it nice and most of the ways.

I believe theres 2000 students. About 160 in carpentry.

There was one more North of me like this as well in Massachusetts. I think in Taunton.