PDA

View Full Version : New roofing

Rick Potter
06-16-2009, 1:22 AM
So....we are ready to start on the roof of a bedroom addition. I say the roof jacks go under the tarpaper, my buddy says they go above the tarpaper, but below the fiberglass shingles, the guy who delivered the materials said he has seen it both ways.

Any pro roofers out there?

Rick Potter

Tom Godley
06-16-2009, 8:00 AM
Roof Jacks -- are you speaking of the type that hold a wood board so you can stand on the roof as you shingle up?

If so ...I always placed them on top of a shingle on a finished row with the nail at the normal location on the shingle. That way when you need to reposition the jack you just push up and remove the jack, then lift the shingle you installed above it and set the nail the held the jack.

I also nail it into a rafter --- not just the sheathing!

Tar paper is really just to cover the roof to seal it up while the roof is being installed -- by the time you are finished it has so many holes in it that it no longer provides any waterproofing -- that is what the shingles are for.

When asphalt shingles first came out they had a lot of tar and would stick to the roof sheathing without putting the paper down -- that is what an old timer told me years ago.

Rick Potter
06-17-2009, 1:21 AM
No no no.

Roof jacks, as in the collars around pipes exiting from the roof. That's what they call them around here.

Rick Potter

Johnny Pearce
06-17-2009, 1:39 AM
Rick, If it is a fiberglass shingle they should be installed as shingles are installed, layed in between shingle courses like you would install step flashing, I hope that makes since. I am a retired home builder of over 500 new homes from 1990 to 2005.

Peter Stahl
06-17-2009, 6:07 AM
I second what Johnny said. I've never seen them just on top of the shingles. Lots of names for it Vent pipe flashing, Vent pipe flanges, roof caps. Anything going through the roof needs to flashed properly and a little roof cement would hurt either.

Tom Godley
06-17-2009, 6:37 AM
As others have said -- should be installed as you shingle the roof -- all above the paper.

If you install it first the only way the lower edge coming through the roof would be watertight is by use of sealant -- this will eventually fail.

Yo want the lower half of the flange exposed so the water runs off to the shingles below.

Also some are made better than others -- get a good one!

Rick Potter
06-17-2009, 4:44 PM
Darn, now I have to tell my buddy he is right, and I am wrong. Over the paper it is. Paper is being installed as I write this. Aaargh. $6K in materials alone.

I just got back from the roofing supply yard, and they told me to do it the same way.

Thank you,

Rick Potter

David G Baker
06-17-2009, 4:47 PM
Rick,
My roof cost me $14,000 4 years ago. It was done right and a lot of the cost was undoing damage caused by the previous roofer.