PDA

View Full Version : Corded Drill

Mike OMelia
06-16-2009, 12:14 AM
I guess I have gotten so wrapped up in battery tools, I have lost site of the corded ones. I recently mounted a benchdog router table to my jet table saw. The battery drill could not do the job of drilling the iron. So I pulled out my Grandpa's old craftsman drill and finished the job. I bet I have not used that thing in 10 years! But seriously, I would like to upgrade in that department. Suggestions?

Mike

Grant Vanbokklen
06-16-2009, 12:39 AM
I would seriously consider a near new used drill in the corded category. I'm sure there are many that feel they just don't use them enough. I'd say a USA made Milwaukee, or Japanese made Makita. And it sounds like your wanting at least a 1/2" version.

Simon Dupay
06-16-2009, 1:40 AM
Why would you consider anything other then a USA made Milwaukee hole shooter for a corded drill?

Jason Hallowell
06-16-2009, 1:49 AM
+1 on the milwaukee. The cheap corded drills at harbor freight are pretty indestructable, and make a great back-up or second drill, but they're not as ergonomic as the milwaukee.

matt swiderski
06-16-2009, 8:49 AM
What about a hammer drill? On some of the bosch models (others brands no sure about) you can switch between hammer and rotary mode. It would be nice to have the extra power when you need it.

Ed Labadie
06-16-2009, 8:58 AM
Milwaukee all the way.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=0234-6&CategoryName=SC%3a++1%2f2+in.+Drills

Ed

Rod Sheridan
06-16-2009, 9:03 AM
Why would you consider anything other then a USA made Milwaukee hole shooter for a corded drill?

+1

My poor Milwaukee has spent its life spinning hole saws in steel, powering winches and doing other duties.

It's a great drill, and that warning sticker on top about high rotating force, if you're not Arnold use the side handle!:D

Regards, Rod.

David Christopher
06-16-2009, 9:20 AM
I think milwaukee is the only way to go...Ive had mine about 12 years and my dad has some that are older than me and still going

Mike OMelia
06-16-2009, 9:50 AM
Ha! I was thinking Milwaukee. Glad to get so many positives on it. I was alos thinking of getting one of Li Ion cordless drills. I have used one before and really liked it.

Thanks,

Mike

Dave Lehnert
06-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Ryobi has a corded drill with a clutch much like a cordless drill to drive screws. Have read good things about it. For $40 my pick one up.
Does any of the other brands have such a model?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100485417&N=10000003+90401+1688

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/94/9433870f-3b23-4d88-a4a6-6a8fc78d33c7_300.jpg

Mike OMelia
06-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, it seems to me that there are advantages and disadvantages to clutched and non-clutched. Also, the non-clutched seem to use the "keyed" tightening system. The 5 amp milwaukee (above) is keyed and costs more than the 8 amp model.

Why?

Mike

Garth Keel
06-16-2009, 10:56 AM
1/2 inch reversible. When I need a corded drill my Milwaukee takes care of the problem and doesn't break a sweat!

Ed Labadie
06-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Well, it seems to me that there are advantages and disadvantages to clutched and non-clutched. Also, the non-clutched seem to use the "keyed" tightening system. The 5 amp milwaukee (above) is keyed and costs more than the 8 amp model.

Why?

Mike

The 8 amp model is a newer design, not sure if it's made here. Some of the other Milwaukee drills were made by AEG in europe.

If you can't drill it with the old bulletproof 5 amp drill, it's time to go buy a Hole hawg.

I've seroiusly abused mine for 25 years, it's mixed driveway sealer to the point you needed gloves to hold it because it was so hot.
IIRC, the brushes have been replaced once, switch once and a new quik-loc cord.
When it dies, I"ll probably have it bronzed.

Ed

phil harold
06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
I am a fan of millwaukees too

My go to is the 1/2 600 rpm
this baby has more balls than the 850 rpm

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=0244-1&CategoryName=SC%3a++1%2f2+in.+Drills

John Callahan
06-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Milwaukee with a caveat- stick to their older designs such as the 0234-6 and a keyed chuck. Some will disagree but imho their newer design drills don't measure up to the old standards. The time I spent with the newer drill made me wish I had my own 0234 with me. It stalled far easier despite the the 8 amp motor (there's less gear reduction) and the keyless chuck had trouble holding the 1/2" bit with out spinning in the chuck. Don't care for the ergonomics either- the new drills are longer nose to tail and I find the more compact 0234-6 much more comfortable. ymmv :D

Mike OMelia
06-16-2009, 12:18 PM
The 8 amp model is a newer design, not sure if it's made here. Some of the other Milwaukee drills were made by AEG in europe.

If you can't drill it with the old bulletproof 5 amp drill, it's time to go buy a Hole hawg.

I've seroiusly abused mine for 25 years, it's mixed driveway sealer to the point you needed gloves to hold it because it was so hot.
IIRC, the brushes have been replaced once, switch once and a new quik-loc cord.
When it dies, I"ll probably have it bronzed.

Ed

Thanks all, I get the point now. The 234 is it for me. I will hardly ever use it since most of my woodwork is easy with the cordless, but when I need it, it really sounds like the go-to drill. Still thinking about the Milwaukee cordless too...

Mike

Mike

Greg Cole
06-16-2009, 2:58 PM
+1 more for a MKE hole shooter 1/2 for corded, drill some tell with is and it'll make pretzels out of your arms if you aren't careful.:rolleyes:
I also have a V28 l-ion cordless that's no slouch in the "umph" department, it also has a hammer mode for light concrete-masonry tasks.

Mike Wilkins
06-16-2009, 3:09 PM
I have had a Bosch 3/8" VSR drill for over 25 years which is still going strong. This is the key-operated chuck by the way. You can't go wrong with a Bosch, Milwaukee or Makita electric drill. These are made for tradesmen (and women) and built to last.

Byron Trantham
06-16-2009, 4:12 PM
I used a 14.4 to drill pocket holes. No way. I finally gave up a couple years ago and bought a corded hole shooter. It turns faster than a battery job which is better for pocket holes and it won't "run out of juice!" :eek:

Actually, when I decide to buy a new tool I think about how often I am going to use it. If not that often then I go for corded. Example, I was looking at Bosch Multimaster clone and realized it was battery operated. Nope! The batteries would loose their usefulness over the period time that I would need the tool. Multimaster is still in my future.

John Schreiber
06-16-2009, 4:44 PM
Ryobi has a corded drill with a clutch much like a cordless drill to drive screws. Have read good things about it. For $40 my pick one up.
Does any of the other brands have such a model?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100485417&N=10000003+90401+1688

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/94/9433870f-3b23-4d88-a4a6-6a8fc78d33c7_300.jpg
I've got one of those. It was on sale at Amazon for the refurbished models and it's served me well.

I've also got a nearly 30 year old Craftsman which weighs about a ton, but never lets me down.

bill mullin
06-16-2009, 6:19 PM
Went thru 2 Makitas, and 1 DeWalt in about 4 years. My Milwaukee has lasted 7 so far...

Jim Butterfield
06-16-2009, 8:29 PM
For what it's worth, I second the idea of having a corded backup. My Craftsman -- inherited from my dad -- finally gave out a couple of years ago. I found a Milwaukee at a garage sale for $15. It's old-fashioned -- I actually have to use a key -- but wow, the power!

Wes Grass
06-16-2009, 9:01 PM
Another vote for the 1/2" Milwaukee. I particularly like the detachable cord, and I tied the chuck key right at the drill end so there's no way I can use it with the tool plugged in. Knew a kid years ago that hit the trigger while tightening the chuck and got wrapped up in the cord, breaking a finger.

Mike OMelia
06-16-2009, 11:09 PM
That is smart Wes, I would have never thought about that!

Mike

Greg Hines, MD
06-16-2009, 11:49 PM
I have a Craftsman 1/2" drill/hammer drill that I picked up on sale a few years ago. I rarely need the hammer setting, but it drills holes all day long.

Doc

Don Morris
06-17-2009, 1:07 AM
You need a corded "whatever" model if you do a lot of pocket screw work. I have a 12v battery DeWalt for some of my wwing where I'm working with it over my head or have to hold it for a long time where I can't get a cord easily. I like the light weight. Otherwise it's a plain old corded DeWalt that's several years old. If it goes though, you guys have me convinced I need to look elsewhere. Anything larger than 12v gets heavy after a while. Haven't wished I needed more than 12v for my wwing or the hammer part but about once with the cabinetry type of work I do. Needing the hammer aspect totally depends on what you do, certainly not with the cabinets I've done. Guess you have the hammar feature with the idea "it's better to have and not need than to not have and need".

Bruce Wrenn
06-17-2009, 11:21 PM
I find deals in pawn shops on Sear Industrial drills (rebranded DeWalt) all the time. Last week, I bought a 3/8 for ten bucks. Put a $15 Jacobs keyless chuck on it. It was in new condition. I like the Milwaukee 55 degree drills for close quarters. Also have 1/2 straight, 1/2 right angle electricians, and "Hole Hog" from Milwaukee.

Jim Heffner
06-17-2009, 11:36 PM
+1 on the milwaukee. The cheap corded drills at harbor freight are pretty indestructable, and make a great back-up or second drill, but they're not as ergonomic as the milwaukee.
+2 for the Milwaukee 1/2" hole shooter...hard to beat!

Ray Frederick
06-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I actually had the Milwaukee Hole shooter and found the rpm's a bit too slow for what I needed it for, I was doing a lot of commercial door hardware installation at the time and it just seemed the faster rpm's worked better on the mix of steel frames, wood doors, metal doors, etc.

I'm currently using an old late 60's maybe Craftsman with a keyed chuck, it goes up to 1200 rpm and does everything I need it to, was installing stair parts all this week with it and it performed flawlessly.

James Carmichael
06-20-2009, 8:33 PM
Well, I'm surely in the minority, but I've been happy with a Dewalt 3/8 VSR for 10 years now. It gets the call when I need to drill pocket holes and handles metal and other tasks just fine.

I don't own a 1/2" corded drill, about the only time I every really need one is when mixing 5-gallon buckets of thinset.

Brian Kent
06-20-2009, 8:51 PM
17 years of flawless service from my Makita. No way I would want a bigger motor. I hate it when I am drilling one handed and the bit jams.

David Cefai
06-21-2009, 7:15 AM
The hammer mode on these drills is different to that on cordless screwdrivers. It's a "woodpecker" action and MUST only be used with masonry drills drilling in (doh!) masonry.

If on while drilling wood you won't like the result and you can shatter a wood or twist bit if drilling a large hole in solid wood.

Peter Kuhlman
06-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Another that likes the older smaller Milwaukee. Got the newer 8 amp when I gave my 5 amp to my son. What a dummy. The new drill has this weird rotating collar for the side handle and it is way too far out toward the nose of the drill. Does not seem to have any more power and is more awkward to use. Don't know the part number of the older 1/2" drill but that is the best one. Also the Milwaukee angle drill is just sexy in your hand. It is by far the best feeling and hand fitting drill ever and it works for many of my tasks.
Pete

John Shuk
06-21-2009, 11:47 AM
I prefer corded. Unless I'm not near power

Grant Vanbokklen
06-21-2009, 3:18 PM

Because there are some made-in-Japan Makita's that rival anything drill made in the USA. Sorry, not to be un-patriotic.

Don Dorn
06-21-2009, 6:29 PM
Well, I'm surely in the minority, but I've been happy with a Dewalt 3/8 VSR for 10 years now. It gets the call when I need to drill pocket holes and handles metal and other tasks just fine.

I was beginning to think I was alone. Mine has worked great for years for pocket hole work and the chuck lets me tighten easily and has never resulted in any slipage. However, based on this thread, if it ever gives up the ghost, I'll be replacing it with a Milwaukee.

Sean Kinn
11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
FYI - I just purchased a Milwaukee 0234-6 based on the comments here, and the positive reviews on the big online shopping site. I'm not trying to start the big debate about the quality of tools from certain countries, but I wanted to point out that the unit I received was made in China. It still seems like a very well made unit, but only time will tell. I hope it lasts as long as the previous US-made units.

My main reason for pointing this out was that I specifically seek out made in America products, and it turns out this one wasn't. I know Milwaukee is still an American company, and that the tool is designed here, yada, yada, yada. Again, I'm not trying to start any heated debate....just pointing out what I received in the event that other folks out there are seeking products made in the US.

Dave Lehnert
11-19-2009, 5:26 PM
FYI - I just purchased a Milwaukee 0234-6 based on the comments here, and the positive reviews on the big online shopping site. I'm not trying to start the big debate about the quality of tools from certain countries, but I wanted to point out that the unit I received was made in China. It still seems like a very well made unit, but only time will tell. I hope it lasts as long as the previous US-made units.

My main reason for pointing this out was that I specifically seek out made in America products, and it turns out this one wasn't. I know Milwaukee is still an American company, and that the tool is designed here, yada, yada, yada. Again, I'm not trying to start any heated debate....just pointing out what I received in the event that other folks out there are seeking products made in the US.

Milwaukee brand is now owned by the parent company of Ryobi.

Josiah Bartlett
11-19-2009, 7:37 PM
If you only use the drill occasionally, it's hard to see the value of spending a lot of money on the Milwaukee. If you are doing a whole deck or something then its great, but if you just want to power a 4" hole saw to drill for a dryer vent or something then the 1/2" 600 RPM #93632 Harbor Freight drill is very strong. I've had mine almost rip my arms off, and it runs smooth enough.