PDA

View Full Version : going to england-where to buy a stanley type 55

Rocky Rothrock
08-23-2004, 9:53 AM
Will be going to England in Sept and wanted to shop for some handpanes, especially a type 55 Stanley. Anybody have any suggestions? Have also been looking on Ebay, but thought finding one in England might be fun.

Thanks-Rocky

jay hanks
08-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Rocky, There are several good tool dealers over there I had a document around with a listing of names but I cannot find it. I think in September there is a big tool auction by Tony Murland? the spelling of the last name might be off. A recent thread on another site mentioned that just like here any tool dealer will be pricey depending on what you want, ie no bargin basement 55's, 45's, sets of chisels etc. Good luck in your search Jay

Dave Anderson NH
08-23-2004, 2:42 PM
At the risk of sounding like a wise.... guy, going to the UK for a Stanley #55 deal is kind of like carrying coals to Newcastle. There are plenty available in the US and most likely they are cheaper since they are more common over here. On the other hand, if you were looking for one of the Record clones, you might do better in the UK. Note that the Record clone is more like a #45 than a #55 though.

Having said my piece about Stanleys, there are tons of great tools available in the UK at decent prices. Tyzack saws, Record and Preston planes, infills by Speirs, Norris, Mathieson, and the modern ones by Ray Isles. There is tons of Marples stuff before it became junk, and many of the British molding planes are readily available with skewed irons and a 50 degree pitch-- ideal for the cabinetmaker vs the carpenter stuff more common here in the US. The list of great pickin's could go on and on, but you get the idea.

James Carmichael
08-23-2004, 4:17 PM
As is very often the case, Dave is right. Thanks to a strong dollaer, I would think you would have some much better opportunities on the infill planes that Dave mentioned, across the pond.

Never been to England but I've been through Scotland many times. From Wichita Falls, go south on U.S. 281 towards Jacksboro. Scotland is right in between, but don't sneeze or you'll miss it. ;)

Mark Singer
08-23-2004, 4:40 PM
Dave is right,,,,Ebay from your desk!

neil radcliffe
08-24-2004, 4:10 AM
Hi Rockey.

Being from England I thought I better post you a couple of links to shops that can provide what you are looking for.

http://www.theoldtoolshop.fsnet.co.uk (http://www.theoldtoolshop.fsnet.co.uk/)

http://www.antiques-uk.net/aukDealersUK/default.asp?cat=tools

One other shop is the tool bazar in Scotland.

What dates you comeing over, there are a couple of shows coming up not sure of the dates without checking. If I can provide any help let me know. However Im in Canada from the 16 Sept.

Pam Niedermayer
08-24-2004, 8:56 AM
I've found Pennyfarthing (http://www.pennyfarthingtools.co.uk/main_frame.htm) to have a very large selection at relatively low prices, would love to have the opportunity to visit in person.

Pam

Dave Carey
08-24-2004, 9:54 AM
Some of the flea markets are also fun. Portobello Road on Sat is a zoo and the stuff there is pretty dear but Bermondsey (think that one is on Friday mornings; a good tour book should have it) often has more working man's stuff. Camden town also has a few tool dealers but you have to cover lots of territory. You won't find the best stuff as you would in some of the specialty shops mentioned, but it's fun looking and you're bound to find an oddity or two.

Rob Littleton
08-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Will be going to England in Sept and wanted to shop for some handpanes, especially a type 55 Stanley. Anybody have any suggestions? Have also been looking on Ebay, but thought finding one in England might be fun.

Thanks-Rocky

Although it is NOWHERE NEAR the size of this awesome country we call the US, England is still rather large and if you know where you are going in jolly old blighty, maybe I can dig up some names of shops in the surrounding area.

For example, anything North of watford gap should be getting electricity within the next year so you might want to take a torch :-)

Rocky Rothrock
08-30-2004, 8:55 AM
Been away for awhile-thanks for all the suggestions! I am actually writing this for a friend who will be going to the Oxford/Banbury area. Thanks for all the help and I will let you know what he finds.

rocky