PDA

View Full Version : What would you charge to make this?

Lee Schierer
03-20-2003, 8:23 PM
I have been asked to make the wall cabinet that is shown below as a commission project. It will be made from Oak, there is a back that is to be 1/4" luan as the customer wants to cover it with cloth. There will be glass in the doors and a center post that attaches to one of the two doors. The doors are 3/8" inset doors.http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/steve.JPG

The wood required is 138" of 1 X 5 and 128" of 1 X 4, two pieces of glass 6.75 X 19.75, one piece of plywood 17.75 X 23.25, four hinges, and two door pulls.

It is to be supplied assembled but unfinished.

Kevin Gerstenecker
03-20-2003, 8:46 PM
When I get a request for an item of someone elses design, I usually try and strike a "time and material" deal. I explain that it would be best for both parties, and if I screw up and need more material, I will cover the cost for that. As you probably know, most of the time of any project is layout and finishing. The actual construction phase if usually pretty straightforward, once the design is complete. As far as bidding goes, all you can really do is approach the project from an experience point of view. Try to envision the step involved and how long you think each machining and assembly step will take, figure the material and what your time is worth, and go from there. I am to the point that I only do projects for folks I know, repeat customers, or referrals from those who have done business with me in the past. I have no trouble working requests on a time and material basis, because those I do work for know I am always fair, and my prices using this method are always pretty much in line with what they expected. If you must bid the project, just don't sell you and your skills short, they are worth more than most people think! (Besides the fact that most people have no idea of the investment dollar in tools and equipment that is required to create even the most basic project...............which is another story entirely!) Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

Lee Schierer
03-20-2003, 9:00 PM
I've already named the price I was just wondering what you all would charge for the same piece.

jack duren
03-20-2003, 9:37 PM
to me what you have there is a small curio or stool upper cabinet with glass doors and a few pretties ta-boot. standard stool uppers vary from $125 unfinished to $250 finished. considering the use of sliding dovetails to fasten the sides to the bottoms as well as the shelves to the sides and a rabbited back for easy removal(fabric panel).

for me $125-$150 unfinished plus glass. if you have several to build $100 as i would already be set up. finishing about 2.5 hours for one(stain & poly)...jack

Bob Lasley
03-20-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Lee Schierer
I've already named the price I was just wondering what you all would charge for the same piece.

Lee,

I would probably quote about $350.

Bob

Lars Thomas
03-21-2003, 10:15 AM
I would figure it like this . . .

There approxmiately 8 bdft of oak with a 30% loss factor (knots, streaks etc...) bringing the total oak to 11 bdft.

$44.00 - 11 bdft at $4.00/per
$10.00 - 2 pr hinges (depending on type, could be a little less or a lot more)
$ 6.00 - 2 drawer pulls
$ 8.00 - Plywood
$20.00 - Glass (I could be way off on this one)
$10.00 - Shop Supplies (sand paper, glue, sharpening etc)
Total $98

This may cause some debate, but then I just multiple by 3 and round up to the nearest increment of 25. 98 * 3 = 294 rounded to $300.

As much as I hate finishing, I would try to convince the customer to allow you to finish it. The only thing I hate more than finishing is seeing how someone else finishes my stuff.

Can you imagine the new owner showing off your flawless cabinetry work to someone with big ole runs of finish dripping down the doors. There goes a potential referral.

PS: Be sure and let us know what you quoted (after you've received sufficient replies).