PDA

View Full Version : want to get into making boxes. What sander do I need?

Matt Haus
06-15-2009, 7:51 PM
Besides my own two hands:D

I want to make decorative boxes and want to know what you guys use. I have a table saw, miter saw, drill press, band saw. I do mostly lathe work but want to make some jewelry boxes, decorative boxes and a few humadors. What do you use to sand your boxes? Do I need something like this? http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/WMHToolGroup/649004K_main?hei=800&wid=800

what do you recommend?

David Christopher
06-15-2009, 8:10 PM
Matt, I have the 16 32 sander...it is a nice sander to have but I think it cost to much just for making boxes....I think a belt sander and a good orbital sander and you will be set...and at about 1/10 the cost.. BTW my drum sander is not used neer as much as I thought it would have been

Mike Heidrick
06-15-2009, 8:10 PM
Do you have a good ROS? If not start there. Want a great one try a Festool ETS 150/3. A lathe guy may have one of them though.

Now, a Performax 16/32 might be an answer to the question, What is a good hobbiest drum sander! A 22/44 might be another answer. I have the G1066Z Grizzly.

I will run glued up panels through my drum sander, and really all hardwood pieces when I can. I final sand with a 150/3 ROS and by hand after that.

Lots of tools can make a box. Answering "what drum sander do you have?" questions are easier.

Matt Haus
06-15-2009, 8:51 PM
I have a belt sander but it's a handheld unit. Not a stationary. I don't have a ROS, but have several square dewalt sanders. I also don't have a drum sander which is what I figured I would need. I am pretty young at woodworking, 37, so I don't mind spending on something that will last.

So the performax 16/32 is the one to get? I thought about getting a good orbital sander and just using my workbench to hold the work or some of that sticky mat.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-15-2009, 9:04 PM
A drum sander is a hefty investment. IMO it may be more economical to get a good 3 blade planer, and a good ROS. All you really care about is the wood being consistently thick? That all the drum sander does. AND you'll still need that ROS to get the sanding lines out.
If you are doing some decorative inlays, working with segmented wood, burls, etc. then a drum sander may be your only good option.

I'm still looking for a good used 3 blade planer. Too expensive......

glenn bradley
06-15-2009, 9:10 PM
A ROS or other softback sander will round corners that you probably want to keep sharp. I make boxes and used to get by with a 6" disc, 4x36" belt C-man (about $100 and 60lbs) I mention weight as mine if on a fliptop because I kept annoying my back lifting onto the bench; they come lighter. As long as I keep the height (or width) at 4" or less the recent purchase of the Ridgid 4424 (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100061671) has been a great help.

Frank Trinkle
06-15-2009, 9:20 PM
I use a number of sanders for boxmaking, but the primary one I use is my Ryobi BD4600. It was available at the Borg, but I don't know if they still sell it. It is perfect for sanding boxes!

You can buy a reconditioned one for around $80. Here's one link:

http://www.cporyobi.com/products/zrbd4600.html

Ed Sallee
06-15-2009, 9:22 PM
I don't know what will work well for you...and I don't know all the model numbers for everything.... but, I have 3 random orbit sanders.... An old DeWalt, a heavy Porter Cable and my favorite... a Milwaukee.

I use a different grain on each. I use the thing-a-ma-bob that I built to hang from the floor joists...to set 'em on after you shut 'em off.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/DSC05429.jpg

Then... I have a shopsmith with a 12" disc sander that I use often and also the drum sanders that fit on the Drill Press end of the shopsmith...

Hmmmm..... and recently discovered various card scrapers to do the job. These are a must and not that expensive.

...a couple of rubber blocks and that's about it for me.

Todd Young
06-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey Matt, thanks for posting the thread as I'm in the same boat, trying to decide which combo sander machine will fill the need for small boxes. The responses have helped with info for me.
I'm in the process (if I'd ever get my duff in gear and finish 'em) of making 2 boxes approx 5" x 9" and thinking of making some fly tying boxes for all that gear which too will be a small box type project. I've been looking at both the Rigid 4424 as well as the Ryobi 4600, but have also had my eye on a used Delta 31-695. The Rigid has gotten high marks from most that mention it so that's what I'm leaning towards, but have been eyeing the Ryobi, mainly for cost. Beyond using it for boxes and smaller pieces, not sure how useful it'll be on bigger projects. Haven't seen reviews/comments on the Delta recently (I may not be seeing them if they're out there) and some other reviews I've read have been mixed. Thanks for the info on the responders to your initial thread.

Dave Lehnert
06-15-2009, 11:15 PM
I have made a few boxes. I own the Shopsmith belt sander and is great for boxes. The variable speed makes doing handwork easy. Here is a link to a video of the sander. http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS105/SS105_Sanding_Shapes.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/01_BeltSander.jpg

Brian W Evans
06-16-2009, 11:14 AM
In his Basic Box Making DVD, Doug Stowe says he uses a 12" disc/6x48" belt sander quite a bit for smaller boxes (up to 6" on a side). I have a Grizzly version of this sander that I got off CL for $200. It is extremely useful for all sorts of things.

Doug also made a frame for his half-sheet sander to sit in. I haven't gotten around to making one yet, but plan to one day. If anyone has made one of these, I'd love to hear how it's done.

If you don't have the Basic Box Making book and DVD, you should definitely get them. I have both and the DVD is probably the best woodworking DVD I've seen. You can buy it from Peachtree via Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/BASIC-BOX-MAKING-Doug-Stowe/dp/B000UZS7ZA/) for only $16.

Frank Trinkle
06-16-2009, 11:28 AM
+1 on Doug Stowe's DVD and books. Excellent starter!

Peter Bell
06-18-2009, 2:58 AM
I don't know what will work well for you...and I don't know all the model numbers for everything.... but, I have 3 random orbit sanders.... An old DeWalt, a heavy Porter Cable and my favorite... a Milwaukee.

I use a different grain on each. I use the thing-a-ma-bob that I built to hang from the floor joists...to set 'em on after you shut 'em off.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/DSC05429.jpg

Then... I have a shopsmith with a 12" disc sander that I use often and also the drum sanders that fit on the Drill Press end of the shopsmith...

Hmmmm..... and recently discovered various card scrapers to do the job. These are a must and not that expensive.

...a couple of rubber blocks and that's about it for me.

--------
Because Box Making is on my 'Things to do before I die " list I dropped in on this thread. More important to me at the moment is how you used the bearers to hang your sander.

My walls are full, maybe I can now go up. Thanks for the idea.

Peter.

John Thompson
06-18-2009, 11:30 AM
I have to agree with you on Ed's "thingy-ma-bob" and may build one this afternoon between finish applications... I've got two Milwaukee's.. a Ridgid 6".. a PC and a Bosch. I need a "thingy-ma-bob".. trust me. :)

BTW.. if you get over to Woodworking Projects you will discover Ed post about two various boxes and humidors a week so.. he is not only clever concieving (if it was his idea) the "thingy-ma-bob" but.. he is one experienced Box maker. ;)

Sarge..

Ed Sallee
06-18-2009, 12:45 PM
(if it was his idea) the "thingy-ma-bob" but.. he is one experienced Box maker. ;)

Sarge..

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Sarge.... I do enjoy making boxes.....

Yup... thought of that one day all on my own. If you look closely, there's a small piece of walnut screwed in to the joist that is like a toggle to hold it up and out of the way when not in use. Just flips right down.....

And.... right underneath that, I've incorporated a downdraft table in to my work table.... makes for quite a handy sanding station... expecially when I line up all three sanders and go after it....

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Shop4.jpg

John Thompson
06-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I have mine stored on a shelf on the wall by the work-bench I sand on Ed. With several ROS's their is room on the shelf but you have a jungle of cord competing for space and with jungle.. you get tangled vines. :)

Now... on that same wall is near the TS... if I can only find a 6'-8" wide vertical spot to hand the thingy-ma-bob. I have a thingy-ma-bob for the jungle of TS blades (11 I think?) and a jig for about everything you can do on a TS.. new inserts... about 15 push sticks.. two miter gauges and the list goes on.

So.. maybe I should live with what I have or.. build a much.. much larger shop. I'll ask my wife what she thinks about that? :D

I hate waiting for finish to dry.. my mind heads for left field even though the game starts about 4-6 hours after the mind makes the trip.. ;)

Sarge..

Larry Fox
06-18-2009, 3:55 PM
Do you have a good ROS? If not start there. Want a great one try a Festool ETS 150/3.

I have to very respectfully disagree with Mike a little on this one. I have the ETS 150/3 and it is a WONDERFUL sander but I find it a bit big for smaller box parts. I think if you are focused on boxes and smaller items that the ETS 125/3 might be a better option. Someone mentioned a card scraper and I agree 100% with that as well. For boxes, I mostly scrape them and only sand 180 and 220 and sometimes just 220. Most of the ones that I have done have been veneered and I am gererally terrified to sand veneer. Sand-throughs are simply heartbreaking - DAMHIKT.

Oh, and Ed - I like that sander holder gizmo as well. Nicely done, I might just build one for myself tonight. I am always looking for a place to put the sander down.