PDA

View Full Version : method for applying CA as a pen finish?

Aaron Wingert
06-15-2009, 5:05 PM
I've been trying to get the perfect CA pen finish on pens and am really fighting it. I've been told to use a piece of ziploc bag to apply the CA with my finger and the lathe spinning slowly but something's wrong with my method I think. Is it possible to get a clean finish with just the plastic bag or is sanding between multiple coats a necessity? I've been sanding with 1500 grit between applications and finishing with micromesh and plastic polish but I still get dull spots and high/low spots.

I'm using medium-viscosity CA. Perhaps I should start with the thin stuff and build up to the thick?

The other problem is that when the bushings are removed there's a pretty ugly raw edge and occasional slight flaking.

Ideas? Resources? Help!!! Thanks guys! :o

Harvey Mushman
06-15-2009, 5:39 PM
Aaron....There are as many different ways to apply CA as there are penmakers.....I use the thin CA. Several drops on a Q-Tip and make a steady pass at a moderate lathe speed. (You can spritz accelerator on your finger and give it a quick back and forth, but with this method, the CA dries quickly and you may not need the accelerator.) Repeat several times. Then lightly sand with 600 grit. Build up about 8 coats. Wet sand to 2500.....Micro Mesh to 12000 (wet w/mineral spirits)and a quick white diamond buff on a wheel and you should have a beautiful finish....At least this works for me. I tried the CA/BLO methods and could never get repeatable results.

Allen Neighbors
06-15-2009, 5:51 PM
Aaron, this isn't the only way, but it's my way. OK?
I use a mandrel, bushings, and have both, upper and lower pen barrels on it.
I fold a Viva Paper Towel longways, three times. That gives me a long narrow pad that is about 1.25" wide, to apply the CA.
I use thin CA. I set my lathe to 1000 rpm. Start it spinning. Then holding the paper towel (with two fingers) against the bottom of the pen barrel (barely touching-very light pressure), and I hold the bottle of CA above the barrel, and flow the CA onto the pen. A WET coat. When the one barrel is coated, a couple of quick swipes back and forth with the paper towel will even out the coat. Then do the same with the other barrel. Very seldom does the CA get all the way through the paper towel and try to stick to my fingers.
If you hold the paper towel against the pen for more than a couple of quick swipes back and forth, the CA will begin to cure, and small pieces of the paper (fuzz) will adhere to the pen. You don't want that, because you'll have to re-sand to remove the paper fuzz.
After applying 4 or 5 coats, I sand again, through the last 4 or 5 grades of Micro Mesh, and then apply more coats. 8 to 10 coats of CA will make a wonderful finish, but sometimes I may want more or less.
Hope this is clear as mud... and helps... :)

Tony Kahn
06-15-2009, 6:37 PM
try this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

Mark Hix
06-15-2009, 7:45 PM
Everyone has a preference and nothing works the same for everyone. First, pick a method and do a dozen practice blanks. Use scrap wood. Usually the learning curve is short if you do everything the same way each time.

Now for 12973.5
I use a mandrel and bushings. For 2 barrell pens, I only do 1 at a time. I sand to 320 or 400. For woods with open grain or burls, I usually fill the grain by making a slurry of CA and sanding dust w/ 320 and then resand. I use medium CA on any old papertowel folded into 1/8ths and double over onto itself. The lathe is on at a slow speed. Put a couple of drops on the corner and quickly wipe it back in forth in a smooth even motion. Don't worry about the bushings. After 5-7 coats, I pull it off and set it aside, usually overnight because I tend to do batches. I used to MM but now I just buff it on the first 2 wheels. If the CA has a rough spot, even it out with some 600 or 800 before you buff.

Once in a while, I add BLO on the darker woods. That would be version 12973.

Just for fun, on the next acrylic, try turning, sanding to 320 or 400 (remember to go both directions) and buff it with EEE and then White Diamond. See what you think.

Let us know about your progress.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2009, 8:15 PM
Russ Fairfield's method works for me.

Do a google search for IAP (International Association of Penturners )....go to their library and then click on RUss Fairfield's videos.

Jim McFarland
06-15-2009, 8:26 PM
try this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

+1 Re Tony's recommendation (BLO & CA)

Aaron Wingert
06-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Thank you gentlemen. Russ Fairfield's method is definitely something I haven't tried, so I'll be giving that a shot in the coming days. I think that perhaps my CA glue is too quick-drying and I need to get some of the slower stuff at woodcraft. I love the fast CA for some applications but this probably isn't the application it is best suited for.

Rusty Smith
06-16-2009, 9:56 AM
Do you know Dean Thomas of the North KC Woodturners? Get him to help you, he is very knowlegable. If he doesn't know how or doesn't use CA, I'm sure he can hook you up with someone who does.

Bill Bolen
06-16-2009, 11:01 AM
I used Russ Fairfields method for quite some time and it works very well. I've since switched to the method Tony linked you to. It is just a modification of the Russ method but I find I like the new method better. My results have shown improvement and a bit easier for me to get a finish buil up..Bill..

Aaron Wingert
06-16-2009, 1:52 PM
Do you know Dean Thomas of the North KC Woodturners? Get him to help you, he is very knowlegable. If he doesn't know how or doesn't use CA, I'm sure he can hook you up with someone who does.

I do in fact know Dean. When I first started turning a few months ago he was kind enough to come over to my shop and spend about four hours showing me the fundamentals and breaking me of my bad habits. Haven't seen him on here in a while, but he'd mentioned being very busy with work last time I saw him.

Rusty Smith
06-16-2009, 2:42 PM
Last I saw him was at the Wood Magizine show. I helped out a bit in the CUSA booth. He just posted on the skew thread here. I do remember him saying something about being swamped with work too.

Back to the subject. I've tried using CA on a few pens in fact the two below are finished with CA. I had to sand and start over several times to get it to come out right. I've not tried the Russ Fairchild method of using BLO. It looks easy the way he does it so I may have to give it a try.

Good luck.

Gary Herrmann
06-16-2009, 4:13 PM
+3? for Russ' method. I will check out the youtube video tho.

robert hainstock
06-16-2009, 4:48 PM
I have found with thick CA and BLO method sometimes get a cordery effect. I then just sand lightly with 600 grit to level up and then buff it out. I'm thinking that your flat spots are where you have sanded through the CA. I have had that happen a few times. The thick CA give a thicker coat and yoiu will have less chance of sanding through. :)
Bob

Chris Haas
06-16-2009, 5:30 PM
just did my first ca finish last night, pretty $hitty if you ask me. i'm interested in the blo method, will veggie oil work, tung oil, or just blo. reason is i dont have any blo on hand.

Rusty Smith
06-17-2009, 9:09 AM
just did my first ca finish last night, pretty $hitty if you ask me. i'm interested in the blo method, will veggie oil work, tung oil, or just blo. reason is i dont have any blo on hand.

Hmmm. Good question. Anyone have any experience using something other than BLO? Is the BLO just used to keep the CA from sticking to the applicator or does it do some magic chemical reaction stuff?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
1st...if you use the Russ Fairfield method...you put on the CA ...then put BLO on a clean spot on the paper towel and then apply the BLO.
Then you burnish the pen with a clean spot on the paper towel.

He claims IIRC that BLO acts as a accelerant. I dont' know. I know this.
We had a guy come to my shop and show me and 2 others how to to do the CA finish. I tried it later by myself and had problems with it. I found Russ's method and his video at the IAP forum and it works for me.

There are a mulitude of CA finish methods. Find the one that works for you and use it.

Aaron Wingert
06-17-2009, 3:05 PM

Properly done, a CA finish pen is hard to beat for shine and durability. I'd imagine you did something wrong. I've seen them shine like acrylic pens when the experts do them. Tung oil would work but doesn't offer any real durability to speak of. Veggie oil is for cooking and doesn't have too much place in woodworking.

Chris Haas
06-17-2009, 3:10 PM
cooking oil may be for cooking, but after i used it last night for ca finish, there will be a little bottle next to my ca. the finish came out great rock hard, clear and acrylic shine. it was easy.

Aaron Wingert
06-17-2009, 4:45 PM
cooking oil may be for cooking, but after i used it last night for ca finish, there will be a little bottle next to my ca. the finish came out great rock hard, clear and acrylic shine. it was easy.

Sorry, I mistook your first post to mean that you thought CA finishes looked, well, crumby. I thought you were proposing using veggie oil as a stand-alone finish. Sounds like you're using in place of BLO with CA. Glad to hear it gave good results.

Aaron Wingert
06-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I tried the CA/BLO method last night on a bocote pen and it worked great. I did several coats and then hit it with Hut plastic polish. I used slower-setting CA. Amazing what a little BLO will do.

Mac Carlton
06-18-2009, 9:33 PM
Check out penturners.org Lots of helpful pen stuff. Also ,they are forming local chapters ,maybe one in your area.