PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 (Swine Flu) UPDATE!

Frank Trinkle
06-15-2009, 3:23 PM
As many of you know already, the Swine Flu has been upgraded to Pandemic by the World Health Organization. There are still no completely effective vaccines as yet, though a number of companies are working furiously to develop one.

Remember to wash your hands frequently and avoid large crowds.

In related news, Patient 0 has been found and the origination of the virus has been identified ---------------
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Belinda Barfield
06-15-2009, 7:06 PM
See, now Frank, you're stirring the pot. I'm waiting to be labeled a raving lunatic. Babies, pigs, what are we coming to!?!?!

Okay people, back off with the pitch forks, all in jest. :D

David Christopher
06-15-2009, 7:17 PM
as of today we now have 4 cases on base here in pensacola

Eric Larsen
06-15-2009, 8:04 PM
I wish I had some extra cash lying around. I'd travel to Mexico in a heartbeat. I think the risk of a flu that I'd almost certainly recover from is worth the reward of traveling Mexico for next to nothing with no crowds.

Dan Mages
06-16-2009, 8:16 AM
Just remember, a pandemic is only a measure of the spread of a disease, not its mortality rate.

Dan

Julian Nicks
06-16-2009, 9:45 AM
It's been here in the chicagoland area for a while....I had a mild flu yesterday, with a temp of 101. I'm still here to talk about it, and neither my daughter or wife are sick. I'll tell you that I was not worried about it. More people have died from the regular flu this year alone than the swine flu has claimed.

Frank Trinkle
06-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Please recognize that my original post was somewhat 'tongue in cheek'... or pig as it were.

I spend every other six weeks overseas in the Western Pacific region, and the last time I came home (about two weeks ago) the airports all looked like SARS was back! There were hundreds of people wearing masks and avoiding other people in the terminals in Guam, Tokyo, Singapore and Manila. This is not completely without merit since some of the governments are quarantining anyone who even hints of having a fever....

Belinda Barfield
06-16-2009, 10:21 AM
More people have died from the regular flu this year alone than the swine flu has claimed.

For those of you who don't know, we had this discussion/debate when the "threat" was first announced. The thread was deleted.

My raving lunatic remark harks back to that thread.

Loved the photo Frank, and understood what you intended.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-16-2009, 10:23 AM
You folks are going to find this hard to believe....

We've had 2 cases here in Nez Perce County Idaho.

Yes, George there is a State called Idaho.:rolleyes:

Andy Pedler
06-16-2009, 9:41 PM
My wife got sick over the weekend and we went to the doctor yesterday. She probably had a virus as she's now getting better, but it wasn't flu of any kind. Interesting short conversation with our doctor about H1N1, though. He said they aren't even testing for it any more since it is so relatively non-threatening to people. He said he probably sees 2-3 cases per week but in some ways it is much better to get H1N1 than our more common flu strain. In a normal flu season about 35,000 people die from influenza each year. So far maybe a few dozen people in the US have died from H1N1.

I think that the precautions that got exercised during the H1N1 outbreak are actually good practice and will help nations/states/cities evaluate and improve how they react to epidemic diseases. People may look back on the H1N1 outbreak as the dry run that helped improve our readiness for the next outbreak, which may well be a much more serious disease than H1N1.

Andy - Newark, CA

Joe Pelonio
06-16-2009, 10:07 PM
We've picked up additional cruise ships at the port here because of canceled cruises to Mexico. Going to Alaska, instead.

Neal Clayton
06-17-2009, 12:02 PM
We've picked up additional cruise ships at the port here because of canceled cruises to Mexico. Going to Alaska, instead.

there's always a silver lining ;).

now if only those folks marching the streets in iran over the elections will hit an oil storage facility with a few molatovs my oil stocks will be sitting pretty :D.